SQBVH

Discussion related to the implementation of new features & algorithms to the Core Engine.

Moderators: jromang, tomb, zcott, coordinators

Re: SQBVH

Postby Dade » Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:48 am

J the Ninja wrote:Found an odd bug with sqbvh, using it with this scene causes the instanced objects (the lamp housings) to just disappear! :?

I should have fixed this problem, it was triggered by the usage of no-triangle primitives (i.e. an area light with a sphere as primitive and instances): http://src.luxrender.net/lux/rev/3db8cbbf6887
Dade
Developer

Postby jensverwiebe » Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:58 am

Dade wrote:
J the Ninja wrote:Found an odd bug with sqbvh, using it with this scene causes the instanced objects (the lamp housings) to just disappear! :?

I should have fixed this problem, it was triggered by the usage of no-triangle primitives (i.e. an area light with a sphere as primitive and instances): http://src.luxrender.net/lux/rev/3db8cbbf6887

I verify commit fixes the issue ( JT's lamphousings are rendered now ).

Jens
jensverwiebe
Developer

Postby J the Ninja » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:44 pm

jensverwiebe wrote:
Dade wrote:

I verify commit fixes the issue ( JT's lamphousings are rendered now ).

Jens

Yep. All's fine now. Thanks Dade!

Btw, this also seems to fix the crash I had on the previous page. That scene has sphere lights and instances as well, so I'm guessing it was something to do with that.
-Jason

Material DB Admin
J the Ninja
Developer

Postby Dade » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:01 am

J the Ninja wrote:Btw, this also seems to fix the crash I had on the previous page. That scene has sphere lights and instances as well, so I'm guessing it was something to do with that.

Yup, for sure.
Dade
Developer

Postby neo2068 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:49 am

There are still some cases where the sqbvh accelerator produces holes in the mesh.
The pictures show the result with different geometry and additional scattering media.
cornell_media1.png

cornell_media2.png

cornell_media4.png

And sometimes I get this:

Code: Select all
[...]2012-03-16 16:35:53 Info: 12] A primitive of type class lux::InstancePrimitive, used in a SQBVH, isn't a triangle, falling back to bounding box clipping for building
[2012-03-16 16:35:53 Error: 13] SQBVH unable to handle geometry, too many primitives with the same centroid
[2012-03-16 16:35:53 Error: 13] SQBVH unable to handle geometry, too many primitives with the same centroid
[...]

Resulting in this:
cornell_media3.png
i7 860, 16 GB RAM, NVIDIA Geforce GTX 560 + GTX 460, Windows 7 64bit, Blender 2.70
neo2068
Developer

Postby Dade » Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:07 am

neo2068 wrote:There are still some cases where the sqbvh accelerator produces holes in the mesh.

The holes are more a side effect of the problem than the problem itself. QBVH can not store more than 64 triangles in a leaf. When the code is forced to produce a leaf and there are more than 64 triangles it has to discard all triangles after the first 64. This usually happen because it has reached the max. tree depth or because there are degenerated triangles.

At the moment, SQBVH seems to have some numerical stability problem and some time it starts to loop over the same split reaching the max. depth of the tree. There is a simple temporary workaround (i.e. http://src.luxrender.net/lux/file/12824 ... l.cpp#l481) to just stop spatial splits when thing starts to become too "small" but I'm looking for a solution of this problem. This is also one of the reasons why SQBVH performance can vary a lot on different scenes.

Neo2068, can you post the sources of the problematic scene ?
Dade
Developer

Postby neo2068 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:57 pm

Dade wrote:
neo2068 wrote:There are still some cases where the sqbvh accelerator produces holes in the mesh.

The holes are more a side effect of the problem than the problem itself. QBVH can not store more than 64 triangles in a leaf. When the code is forced to produce a leaf and there are more than 64 triangles it has to discard all triangles after the first 64. This usually happen because it has reached the max. tree depth or because there are degenerated triangles.

At the moment, SQBVH seems to have some numerical stability problem and some time it starts to loop over the same split reaching the max. depth of the tree. There is a simple temporary workaround (i.e. http://src.luxrender.net/lux/file/12824 ... l.cpp#l481) to just stop spatial splits when thing starts to become too "small" but I'm looking for a solution of this problem. This is also one of the reasons why SQBVH performance can vary a lot on different scenes.

Neo2068, can you post the sources of the problematic scene ?

Here are the scene files. This is a ripped version of a more complex scene. Thus there are some unused and some strangely named materials. The walls are divided to fit a water surface which has been removed. There are some very long and thin triangles.
Attachments
cornell_media_sqbvh.7z
(40.03 KiB) Downloaded 22 times
i7 860, 16 GB RAM, NVIDIA Geforce GTX 560 + GTX 460, Windows 7 64bit, Blender 2.70
neo2068
Developer

Postby jeanphi » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:30 am

Dade wrote:The holes are more a side effect of the problem than the problem itself. QBVH can not store more than 64 triangles in a leaf. When the code is forced to produce a leaf and there are more than 64 triangles it has to discard all triangles after the first 64. This usually happen because it has reached the max. tree depth or because there are degenerated triangles.

That's something I always wondered: could we just do an arbitrary split of the triangles when something like this happens? Less efficient than having all triangles in the same set, but better than degrading the rendering.

Jeanphi
jeanphi
Developer

Postby Dade » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:53 am

jeanphi wrote:
Dade wrote:The holes are more a side effect of the problem than the problem itself. QBVH can not store more than 64 triangles in a leaf. When the code is forced to produce a leaf and there are more than 64 triangles it has to discard all triangles after the first 64. This usually happen because it has reached the max. tree depth or because there are degenerated triangles.

That's something I always wondered: could we just do an arbitrary split of the triangles when something like this happens? Less efficient than having all triangles in the same set, but better than degrading the rendering.

We could definitively do an arbitrary split but this condition should happen, for QBVH, only if all the triangles in the leaf are degenerated or with the same centroid (i.e. "unable to handle geometry, too many primitives with the same centroid"). So it will something useful only if you have more than 64 degenerated/equal triangles in a leaf (i.e. it should be quite a corner case).
Dade
Developer

Postby Dade » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:53 am

I should have fixed this problem with the latest patch.
Dade
Developer

PreviousNext

Return to Architecture & Design