Competition: LuxRender 0.8 Splash Screen (closed)

Post and discuss your competition entries here!

Moderators: Dade, binarycortex, coordinators

Forum rules
1. All competition entries must be a new original work unless otherwise specified during a competition.
2. All submissions must be uploaded to the corresponding competition gallery no later than the date specified in the competition post.

Competition: LuxRender 0.8 Splash Screen (closed)

Postby binarycortex » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:29 am

Welcome to the LuxRender 0.8 Splash Screen competition. The goal of this competition is to showcase the capabilities of LuxRender and the community of LuxRender artists. This competition does not have a theme but a required element. This competition will run to the end of March 2011, at which time voting will commence.

Mandatory Elements (must include at least one):
*Volumetric Scattering
*Micro Displacement
*Glossy Translucent
*Scatter Material

You must use the new homogeneous scattering in your render. Use it however you wish, as internal volume scattering (SSS), atmospheric effects, used with the null material for smoke, or any other way you can think of.

Rules:
1. You must use LuxRender only, no SLG submissions. Use either 0.8 RC1, a weekly, or compile your own the day you start your render.
2. You can re-render something you have already done. But you must use volumetric scattering in some way.
3. You can use any modeling program/exporter you wish. (Yaay!) Just render in LuxRender (see rule #1).
4. Submissions should be rendered at 1000x600 for as long as possible, the cleaner the render the better.
5. The only post production allowed is what is built in to LuxRender. (We are trying to showcase LuxRender, not Gimp or Photoshop.)
6. The time frame for this competition is 1 month. Submissions after April 1st 11:59 UTC will not be considered.
7. The winner will be chosen by you via a forum poll.
8. Final submissions must be posted to the corresponding competition gallery.
9. You may submit as many renders as you wish, but all must contain the required element.

Prizes:
The winner of the competition will have their image used as the splash screen for LuxRender 0.8.
Competition Coordinator.
Current Competition: Math is Beautiful / Abstract Wallpaper

Member of the first official jeanphi-fan club
binarycortex
Developer

Re: LuxRender 0.8 Splash Screen Competition

Postby SATtva » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:15 am

And I have yet another chance! :D
Linux builds packager
聞くのは一時の恥、聞かぬのは一生の恥
SATtva
Developer

Postby binarycortex » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:37 am

SATtva wrote:And I have yet another chance! :D

GO GO GO! You can do it!
Competition Coordinator.

binarycortex
Developer

Postby moure » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:18 pm

i cant wait to see the submissions!
moure
Developer

Postby A-man » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:41 pm

Is there a test scene available with a homogenous volume working correctly? I haven't been able to get it to work. I want to have an atmospheric effect (dust). Or is there a simple few steps I need to take that someone could share?
i7 3770k 3.5 GHz | 16 GB RAM | Radeon 7970 3GB
A-man

Postby coplander » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:42 pm

I'm dying to set to work! As soon as I find a way to make Luxblend work (I won't bug you with this here though).

On a competition-related note, would you think it appropriate to include the Luxrender logo/text in the render, or do you prefer to overlay them afterwards on the splash-screen? 'Cause if you'd like to have them in the render, it would be nice to have access to meshes or vector graphics, instead of home-made imitations. Where can we find them?

Thanks!
coplander

Postby J the Ninja » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:09 pm

coplander wrote:I'm dying to set to work! As soon as I find a way to make Luxblend work (I won't bug you with this here though).

On a competition-related note, would you think it appropriate to include the Luxrender logo/text in the render, or do you prefer to overlay them afterwards on the splash-screen? 'Cause if you'd like to have them in the render, it would be nice to have access to meshes or vector graphics, instead of home-made imitations. Where can we find them?

Thanks!

There's an SVG logo-set stashed over here: http://www.luxrender.net/wiki/Templates_and_Files#logo

Open it in Inkscape/Illustrator and cut out the pieces you need. The SVG importer is back in 2.5, get a recent build and check the add-ons under Import/Export.

Also, BinaryCortex, you forgot to actually make the competition album, it looks like. (Also, I just tried to use tab to autocomplete your name...stupid IRC)
-Jason Stuff
J the Ninja
Developer

Postby binarycortex » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:21 pm

J the Ninja wrote:Also, BinaryCortex, you forgot to actually make the competition album, it looks like. (Also, I just tried to use tab to autocomplete your name...stupid IRC)

Haha. I'll take care of the gallery here in a few.

A-man wrote:Is there a test scene available with a homogenous volume working correctly? I haven't been able to get it to work. I want to have an atmospheric effect (dust). Or is there a simple few steps I need to take that someone could share?

Do you want a .blend or a .lxs type version?
Competition Coordinator.

binarycortex
Developer

Postby B.Y.O.B. » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:28 pm

binarycortex wrote:
A-man wrote:Is there a test scene available with a homogenous volume working correctly? I haven't been able to get it to work. I want to have an atmospheric effect (dust). Or is there a simple few steps I need to take that someone could share?

Do you want a .blend or a .lxs type version?

I would need a .blend, didn't get volumetric fog working, too.
B.Y.O.B.
Developer

Postby A-man » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:22 pm

Yes a .blend would be awesome!
i7 3770k 3.5 GHz | 16 GB RAM | Radeon 7970 3GB
A-man

Next

Return to Competitions