LuxCore: issues, problems, regressions

Discussion related to the implementation of new features & algorithms to the Core Engine.

Moderators: Dade, jromang, tomb, zcott, coordinators

Re: LuxCore: issues, problems, regressions

Postby Levente1 » Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:38 pm

Hi Guys,

First of all a BIG thank you for the job! This is a great Christmas present! :)
Anyway, I got an error message when tried to activate this version in Blender V2.71. (the earlier version has been remove dproperly, then I restarted Blender to avoid problems). I've just checked and found that probably the error is with the LuxBlend.zip file, as it is very small (only 326.6K) while in case of V1.3.1. the same file was 8.7MB and in V1.4RC2 it was 20.9MB, so I'd expect that the file size should be even bigger. Just to be on the safe side I tried to install it through the good old way as well (copy the luxrender folder from the installer under scripts/addons in Blender) but got the same error message.
What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,
Levente

PS: Happy Christmas!!! :)
Attachments
Screenshot.png
Error message
Levente1

Postby B.Y.O.B. » Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:34 pm

The liblux, pylux, pyluxcore libraries got removed from the addon a while ago, but this doesn't work properly at the moment.

To solve the problem, copy the mentioned libraries (they should have a .so or .dll ending, depending on your OS) from the downloaded LuxRender package to the addon directory (in <blender folder>/2.72/scripts/addons/luxrender).
After that, you can enable the addon, and set the path to LuxRender installation folder. Then you can either remove the libraries from LuxBlend or keep them.
B.Y.O.B.
Developer

Postby Levente1 » Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:09 pm

B.Y.O.B. wrote:The liblux, pylux, pyluxcore libraries got removed from the addon a while ago, but this doesn't work properly at the moment.

To solve the problem, copy the mentioned libraries (they should have a .so or .dll ending, depending on your OS) from the downloaded LuxRender package to the addon directory (in <blender folder>/2.72/scripts/addons/luxrender).
After that, you can enable the addon, and set the path to LuxRender installation folder. Then you can either remove the libraries from LuxBlend or keep them.

Thanks B.Y.O.B., that solved the issue, it WORKS!!! And woooooow, viewport rendering, finally it is possible to test materials in real time!!!! And it is mind-blowingly fast!!!
The settings are awesome, logically ordered, easy to overview and navigate. OpenCL device recognition also works smoothly. Wow, amazing, I am impressed!!!
This is my 5 minute experience, I'll check all the settings out a bit later and do some test renders, but I have to leave the computer now and be with the family. :)

That is really a great Chirmas present guys, THANK YOU!!!

Enjoy being with your beloved ones and have a great rest during the Christmas season!

Cheers,
Levente
Levente1

Postby Levente1 » Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:53 pm

Levente1 wrote:
B.Y.O.B. wrote:The liblux, pylux, pyluxcore libraries got removed from the addon a while ago, but this doesn't work properly at the moment.

This is my 5 minute experience, I'll check all the settings out a bit later and do some test renders, but I have to leave the computer now and be with the family. :)

After switching to LuxCore 2.0 material preview stops working and the applied textures does not show up on the object, as if clay render would have been turned on. If I switch back to V1.x then it works again.
If you need I can provide examples / screenshots, just let me know.
Levente1

Postby Levente1 » Wed Dec 24, 2014 9:19 pm

Levente1 wrote:
Levente1 wrote:

After switching to LuxCore 2.0 material preview stops working and the applied textures does not show up on the object, as if clay render would have been turned on. If I switch back to V1.x then it works again.
If you need I can provide examples / screenshots, just let me know.

I have figured it out: the materials which have been created via the node editor does not work yet, but using the old way I could add textures.
This is AWESOME.
Great job, thank you guys!
Levente1

Postby SATtva » Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:53 pm

B.Y.O.B. wrote:To solve the problem, copy the mentioned libraries (they should have a .so or .dll ending, depending on your OS) from the downloaded LuxRender package to the addon directory (in <blender folder>/2.72/scripts/addons/luxrender).

Hm, i thought i've addressed this scenario. Gonna check.
Linux builds packager
聞くのは一時の恥、聞かぬのは一生の恥
SATtva
Developer

Postby SATtva » Thu Dec 25, 2014 7:21 am

Should be fixed in the repo.
Linux builds packager
聞くのは一時の恥、聞かぬのは一生の恥
SATtva
Developer

Postby B.Y.O.B. » Thu Dec 25, 2014 4:25 pm

SATtva wrote:Should be fixed in the repo.

Thanks, it works now.

But I have to say I still don't really like the situation:
A new user downloads LuxBlend and installs it via Blenders addon manager. Then he tries to render and gets a bunch of errors. He then has to download LuxRender standalone version and set the path from inside Blender to the folder where he extracted the LuxRender standalone.

I talked with Jens about the topic some time ago and we both think an (Blender) addon should be self-containing: just install the addon and everything will run.
In conclusion, I think it would be best for users if the LuxBlend download would include the libraries and would allow for instant rendering inside Blender. If the user wants to use the external API 1.x way, he has to set the path to the LuxRender installation.

What do you think? And sorry for stirring up this topic again, please don't be mad at me :oops:
B.Y.O.B.
Developer

Postby tomb » Thu Dec 25, 2014 5:00 pm

B.Y.O.B. wrote:
SATtva wrote:Should be fixed in the repo.

Thanks, it works now.

But I have to say I still don't really like the situation:
A new user downloads LuxBlend and installs it via Blenders addon manager. Then he tries to render and gets a bunch of errors. He then has to download LuxRender standalone version and set the path from inside Blender to the folder where he extracted the LuxRender standalone.

I talked with Jens about the topic some time ago and we both think an (Blender) addon should be self-containing: just install the addon and everything will run.
In conclusion, I think it would be best for users if the LuxBlend download would include the libraries and would allow for instant rendering inside Blender. If the user wants to use the external API 1.x way, he has to set the path to the LuxRender installation.

What do you think? And sorry for stirring up this topic again, please don't be mad at me :oops:

+1
tomb
Developer

Postby SATtva » Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:30 am

I wouldn't start to go along this path if not for Embree libs which we'll get in Lux 1.5. To my mind, this won't look healthy if we will have to keep two copies of a 5 MB library in addition to liblux and whatever might come along in the future.

B.Y.O.B. wrote:A new user downloads LuxBlend and installs it via Blenders addon manager. Then he tries to render and gets a bunch of errors. He then has to download LuxRender standalone version and set the path from inside Blender to the folder where he extracted the LuxRender standalone.

But LuxBlend is already bundled with LuxRender, i don't see a point here.
Linux builds packager
聞くのは一時の恥、聞かぬのは一生の恥
SATtva
Developer

PreviousNext

Return to Architecture & Design