NK files for steel and iron

Discussions about LuxRender's materials, and how to make the most of them.

Moderators: Dade, coordinators

Re: NK files for steel and iron

Postby Meelis » Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:12 am

I mixed 70% of Copper and 30% of Zinc for Cartridge Brass (used for musical instruments like sax aso).
Simple linear mix of nk files, not correct but the result looks okay i guess.

Also the Zinc nk file was measured in year 1964 if i'm not mistaken.

Result looks light yellowish, no preview sorry.
Attachments
Sopra NK - Cartridge Brass for Musical Instruments.zip
Brass.nk
(623 Bytes) Downloaded 82 times
Meelis

Postby SATtva » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:40 am

Meelis, something's wrong with the file, i get a "Not enough sopra data in '/tmp/brass.nk'" error.
Linux builds packager
聞くのは一時の恥、聞かぬのは一生の恥
SATtva
Developer

Postby Meelis » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:49 am

SATtva wrote:Meelis, something's wrong with the file, i get a "Not enough sopra data in '/tmp/brass.nk'" error.

Odd, there is no error log on my render debug log window.
On WIndows, cpu sppm.

Can it be problem with text file format ANSI, unicode, utf.
I recall there was some problem with how the file is saved.

Brass on monkey here:

Last edited by Meelis on Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Meelis

Postby Rhys » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:56 am

It works with metal1 not metal2, but the colour is very pale, like a white wine colour.
Rhys

Postby SATtva » Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:00 am

Rhys wrote:It works with metal1 not metal2

Confirmed. Line endings doesn't make difference in case of metal2.
Linux builds packager
聞くのは一時の恥、聞かぬのは一生の恥
SATtva
Developer

Postby Meelis » Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:03 am

Rhys wrote:the colour is very pale, like a white wine colour.

Yes, it's probably better to make mix material of Cu.nk metal1 and Zn.nk metal1,
not to generate mix nk file. :roll:

Brass color tones vary creately, some have copper 95%, but some only 60%
Code: Select all
    Admiralty brass contains 30% zinc, and 1% tin which inhibits dezincification in many environments.
    Aich's alloy typically contains 60.66% copper, 36.58% zinc, 1.02% tin, and 1.74% iron. Designed for use in marine service owing to its corrosion resistance, hardness and toughness. A characteristic application is to the protection of ships' bottoms, but more modern methods of cathodic protection have rendered its use less common. Its appearance resembles that of gold.[27]
    Alpha brasses with less than 35% zinc, are malleable, can be worked cold, and are used in pressing, forging, or similar applications. They contain only one phase, with face-centered cubic crystal structure.
    Prince's metal or Prince Rupert's metal is a type of alpha brass containing 75% copper and 25% zinc. Due to its beautiful yellow color, it is used as an imitation of gold.[28] The alloy was named after Prince Rupert of the Rhine.
    Alpha-beta brass (Muntz metal), also called duplex brass, is 35–45% zinc and is suited for hot working. It contains both α and β' phase; the β'-phase is body-centered cubic and is harder and stronger than α. Alpha-beta brasses are usually worked hot.
    Aluminium brass contains aluminium, which improves its corrosion resistance. It is used for seawater service[29] and also in Euro coins (Nordic gold).
    Arsenical brass contains an addition of arsenic and frequently aluminium and is used for boiler fireboxes.
    Beta brasses, with 45–50% zinc content, can only be worked hot, and are harder, stronger, and suitable for casting.
    Cartridge brass is a 30% zinc brass with good cold working properties. Used for ammunition cases.
    Common brass, or rivet brass, is a 37% zinc brass, cheap and standard for cold working.
    DZR brass is dezincification resistant brass with a small percentage of arsenic.
    Gilding metal is the softest type of brass commonly available. An alloy of 95% copper and 5% zinc, gilding metal is typically used for ammunition bullet "jackets", e.g. full metal jacket bullets.
    High brass contains 65% copper and 35% zinc, has a high tensile strength and is used for springs, screws, and rivets.
    Leaded brass is an alpha-beta brass with an addition of lead. It has excellent machinability.
    Lead-free brass as defined by California Assembly Bill AB 1953 contains "not more than 0.25 percent lead content".[13]
    Low brass is a copper-zinc alloy containing 20% zinc with a light golden color and excellent ductility; it is used for flexible metal hoses and metal bellows.
    Manganese brass is a brass most notably used in making golden dollar coins in the United States. It contains roughly 70% copper, 29% zinc, and 1.3% manganese.[30]
    Muntz metal is about 60% copper, 40% zinc and a trace of iron, used as a lining on boats.
    Naval brass, similar to admiralty brass, is 40% zinc and 1% tin.
    Nickel brass is composed of 70% copper, 24.5% zinc and 5.5% nickel used to make pound coins in the pound sterling currency.
    Nordic gold, used in 10, 20 and 50 cts euro coins, contains 89% copper, 5% aluminium, 5% zinc, and 1% tin.
    Red brass is both an American term for the copper-zinc-tin alloy known as gunmetal, and an alloy which is considered both a brass and a bronze. It typically contains 85% copper, 5% tin, 5% lead, and 5% zinc.[31][32] Red brass is also an alternative name for copper alloy C23000, which is composed of 14–16% zinc, 0.05% iron and lead, and the remainder copper.[33] It may also refer to ounce metal, another copper-zinc-tin alloy.
    Rich low brass (Tombac) is 15% zinc. It is often used in jewelry applications.
    Tonval brass (also called CW617N or CZ122 or OT58) is a copper-lead-zinc alloy.[34]
    White brass contains more than 50% zinc and is too brittle for general use. The term may also refer to certain types of nickel silver alloys as well as Cu-Zn-Sn alloys with high proportions (typically 40%+) of tin and/or zinc, as well as predominantly zinc casting alloys with copper additive.
    Yellow brass is an American term for 33% zinc brass.
Meelis

Postby patro » Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:35 am

Meelis wrote:
Rhys wrote:the colour is very pale, like a white wine colour.

Yes, it's probably better to make mix material of Cu.nk metal1 and Zn.nk metal1,
not to generate mix nk file. :roll:

i doubt it will work properly because an alloy for my knowledge is a kind of new material, with different properties of the components from which is made.
an alloy is an alloy because its components can be bound together. what is needed is a nk or tabulated data mixer, able to mix the values properly given by a mix amount.
maybe someone with the knowledge, could try to create a python script with a small interface where to input the % of the alloy components, able to read and mix nk, ior, tabulated data files by the % composition amount. i will try to ask guibou for this.
patro

Postby Meelis » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:05 am

Either way, mixing ain't correct, but hopefully gives you satisfactory result after some tuning.
Meelis

Postby patro » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:13 am

Meelis, can you share please the zn.nk?
because i can't find it. i have it mixed with cadmium, selenium and tellure and many more..
but pure zinc no.
thank you
patro

Postby Meelis » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:22 am

Attachments
Open Office Calc file Cartridge Brass for musical instruments.zip
My OOo calc file, just in case.
(42.93 KiB) Downloaded 77 times
Meelis

PreviousNext

Return to Materials Help