ATI released OpenCL SDK with hardware support

Discussions related to GPU Acceleration in LuxRender

Moderators: Dade, jromang, tomb, coordinators

Re: ATI released OpenCL SDK with hardware support

Postby Dade » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:53 am

Dade wrote:I have read something interesting (during the night :D) about how OpenCL memory objects really works. I'm going to put together a version that should work better, give me few mins.

Jens, can you give a try to the version attached to this message ? I changed the way OpenCL memory objects are used and context is allocated.
Attachments
smallptgpu-v1.6alpha.tgz
(157.84 KiB) Downloaded 58 times
Last edited by Dade on Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dade
Developer

Postby Dade » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:57 am

pixie wrote:Has anyone tried in win 7 64 bit+ nvidia? I can't get one version to work :(

Pixie, it is strange because I have read at http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=55913 of people running with the same setup, have you tried the latest version (1.5) ?
Dade
Developer

Postby Szaq » Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:11 am

Dade wrote:
pixie wrote:Has anyone tried in win 7 64 bit+ nvidia? I can't get one version to work :(

Pixie, it is strange because I have read at http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=55913 of people running with the same setup, have you tried the latest version (1.5) ?

Both SmallPtGpu and SmallLuxGpu works on my Win7 64bit + NVIDIA GTX 280.
SmallLuxGpu is very slow though.
Szaq

Postby pixie » Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:18 am

I'd just missed bin directory of smallptgpu. I got it to work now, as for lux got no luck :(
pixie

Postby Szaq » Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:21 am

vildanovak wrote:Szaq, very nice stuff.
This is not openCL, but the results are pretty impressive(RT fire with a 200x domain!):
http://users.skynet.be/fquake/
but your domain resolution is very impressive too, regarding it's realtime :)

Very Nice:)Good benchmark for me:) It's basically using the same algorithms (well I don't use MacCormack advection scheme yet - but it's first on my todo list), and memory usage optimization are before me , so expect the same (or slighty lower - OpenCL drivers issues:) performance from me in next few weeks :) keep your's fingers crossed :)
Szaq

Postby jensverwiebe » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:54 pm

Dade wrote:
Dade wrote:I have read something interesting (during the night :D) about how OpenCL memory objects really works. I'm going to put together a version that should work better, give me few mins.

Jens, can you give a try to the version attached to this message ? I changed the way OpenCL memory objects are used and context is allocated.

Dade, you are nearly done, you seem to got the culprit :) :) :)
I saw you did same as me removing the &event setting NULL, will try now to get the image in viewport back ( with cpu it works btw )
EDIT: no luck with image, just to be clear, it behaves as all is rendered, more black=faster and such, just no image to be seen, maybe a wrong type used ?

Thats_nearly it.png
running now, but full output missing...

The 70000k come from rendering mostly black image atm i think, but thats a great progress indeed, fantastic Dade :) My frustration vanished :)
CPU gives now 9000k, from 1500k before ! All renderered with simple.scn.

Edit2: hmm...cornell.scn gives 1500 on cpu but over 70000 on gpu too, it apears that i do render empty space here ( same speed as simple with gpu) so the empty viewer is explained by that i fear
Observation: i can do camera-actions and the little dot in the middle of the view is moving, so something must be in the scene/view, but again clueless what fails atm

Jens
jensverwiebe
Developer

Postby elieli » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:54 am

Something strange I had older version of smallptgpu workable, but the newest and even older isn't working right now. Might be drive, but I can't handle with it

I get \

Code: Select all
Usage: smallptGPU.exe
Usage: smallptGPU.exe <use CPU/GPU device (0=CPU or 1=GPU)> <workgroup size (0=d
efault value or anything > 0 and power of 2)> <kernel file name> <window width>
<window height> <scene file>
Reading scene: scenes\cornell.scn
Scene size: 9
OpenCL Platform 0:

And Windows Notify me about application problem

AppName: smallptgpu.exe    AppVer: 0.0.0.0    ModName: smallptgpu.exe
ModVer: 0.0.0.0    Offset: 00002763

I'm working on Winxp 32
q6600
and NVidia 8600GT with OpenCl Drover installed

Abrazo
elieli

Postby Dade » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:10 am

elieli wrote:Something strange I had older version of smallptgpu workable, but the newest and even older isn't working right now. Might be drive, but I can't handle with it

It looks like your driver doesn't support OpenCL ICD (i.e multi-platform support), may be are you using an old NVIDIA driver ? ATI has added the support in SDK final 2.0 (and at that point I added the support too),

@Jens: may be a problem with OpenCL camera buffer ? Have you tried to run simple.scn instead of cornell.scn ?
Dade
Developer

Postby jensverwiebe » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:45 am

@Dade, jupp , with simple.scn i got this high number and o.k. output when using cpu( 9000k )

Jens
jensverwiebe
Developer

Postby Dade » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:08 am

jensverwiebe wrote:@Dade, jupp , with simple.scn i got this high number and o.k. output when using cpu( 9000k )

Jens, this remote debugging is quite hard but we can do some test to try to isolate the problem. First of all I would replace rendering_kernel.cl file with the following one:

__kernel void RadianceGPU(
    __global Vec *colors, __global unsigned int *seedsInput,
   __constant Sphere *sphere, __constant Camera *camera,
   const unsigned int sphereCount,
   const int width, const int height,
   const int currentSample,
   __global int *pixels,
   const unsigned int renderingFlags) {
        const int gid = get_global_id(0);
   const int x = gid % width;
   const int y = gid / width;

/* Check if we have to do something */
   if (y >= height)
      return;

pixels[y * width + x] = gid;
}

By running with this kernel, you should get a coloured screen, if you don't there is clearly a problem in downloading the frame buffer from the GPU.
Dade
Developer

PreviousNext

Return to GPU Acceleration