pose2lux (Poser Exporter)

General discussion regarding exporter development in general.

Moderators: Dade, Ratow, coordinators

pose2lux (Poser Exporter)

Postby cisi » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:06 am

Hi,

attached you can find a free poser to lux exporter based on the pose2lux project.
It supports poser in the Windows versions (32/64):
6,7,8,9 etc etc up to poser pro 2014
(cant test it on OS X but should work).

it includes my patched version that works with poser 2014 and also the "old" original one.

some features require a recent luxrender version 1.3RC1 20.8.2013 build or greater.
But the exporters works also for all other older versions of lux 1.2 or even older.
Obviously selecting features not present in the local installed luxrender version want work and may just give an error in the log or prevent luxrender from starting the rendering process.
So using the latest dev version is the best way to go.

additionally there is a "cisi" material database(and another one) that can be imported in the script.
There you can find some materials i recreated as XML(parsable for the script) following the materials db from the luxrender material db.

There is no homepage for this project as probably keeping it "in the community" forum it has a bigger chance to get updated by the community even if i stop doing it.
So everyone feel free to update or patch it for features or other things you find useful for your work.
The script is very simple and clean.

[edit]
known restrictions:
Dynamic poser hair exporting is NOT working very good.
It takes about 20 minutes for 500 hairs (4 verts per hair) to export and generates a 80 MB file.
To render poser hair in Lux i export it as object (.obj), and use the dynamic hair converter script (attached too) to convert the lines information present in the obj
file into polygons, and than reimport the .obj file just like a prop.

[DOCUMENTATION]
pdf included in the package

003.png

regards,
Attachments
pose2lux-complete.zip
full package 0.9.4 (08.10.2013)
(2.55 MiB) Downloaded 2619 times
DynamicHairConverter.zip
(375.63 KiB) Downloaded 1418 times
Last edited by cisi on Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:15 am, edited 11 times in total.
cisi

Re: pose2lux (Poser Exporter)

Postby Dade » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:22 am

Nice :D

cisi wrote:known bugs:
- Dynamic poser hair exporting is NOT working, even if described in the pdf-help.(probably it was a planned feature but never implemented).
To render poser hair in Lux export it as object (.obj), and use the dynamic hair converter script (attached too) to convert the lines information present in the obj
file into polygons, and than reimport it.

Just in case you don't know, there has been a lot of work on hair/strand support in LuxRender 1.3: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=3058&start=200#p94477

We have now a dedicated binary (i.e. very compact) format to import hair definition plus the support for (adaptive) interpolation, multiple types of tessellation and more. Don't know if it can be useful for Poser.
Dade
Developer

Postby cisi » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:44 am

i saw that thread yes, im not sure if i am able to perform such an implementation.
Especially because the poser dynamic hair isn't great and almost not used by anyone. People in poser use props or paint them with photoshop, but really really rarely the dynamic hair is used.
I does not look good, cant say why. Tried it by myself many times.
cisi

0.9.1 version

Postby cisi » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:26 am

changelog:
- corrected typo for SLG renderer that was preventing the rendering start ("slg" is recognized but not "SLG")
- added threshold halt condition option
- added convergencestep option
cisi

small bugfix

Postby cisi » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:16 pm

changelog:
- "string displacementmap" is deprecated in newer luxrender versions
the exporter is using "texture displacementmap" instead of the deprecated one now
cisi

Postby cisi » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:10 am

changelog:
- added sobol sampler (viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9827)
- added blackmanharris and catmullrom filters (viewtopic.php?f=8&t=10381)
cisi

Postby krom » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:22 am

Hi just wondering if you have a better solution, my render is not showing the correct eyelash texture, the transparency is there but the lashes appear silvery white
I'm thinking i might have the wrong version as i'm using poser pro 2014 & from what i can find it says its for blender which is kind of strange since it actually works fine apart from that.
Also in the log i found this:
[2013-08-26 20:01:37 Info: 0] Loading texture: 'C:/Program Files/Smith Micro/Poser Pro 2014/Runtime/Textures/Mei_Chen Chi/MEyeTrans.jpg'...
[2013-08-26 20:01:37 Info: 0] Memory used for imagemap 'C:/Program Files/Smith Micro/Poser Pro 2014/Runtime/Textures/Mei_Chen Chi/MEyeTrans.jpg': 6591KBytes
[2013-08-26 20:01:37 Warning: 0] Parameter 'name' not used
MyLuxScene.png
1st render

Anyway after some messing around with poser i went to the material room, found the eyelash material & changed its transparency image map from tile to alpha, also changed the default settings for diffuse value, specular value & highlight size all to zero which was probably unnecessary but it seems to of fixed the problem. but as always there's probably an easier solution.
MyLuxScene.png
2nd

Windows 7 Ultimate sp1
LuxRender 1.3 RC1
Pose2Lux ( the latest one i think )
krom

Postby cisi » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:37 am

in fact i have the same problem, but:
" ... diffuse value, specular value & highlight size all to zero which was probably ... " should make the difference.
Bringing diffuse value to 0 means you get a "black texture" and the transparency map then does the rest. The other things like specular value or highlight size etc are better to leave completely black or 0 afaik.
90% of the characters i own only have a transparent map, and no real texture map(sometimes they just invert the transparent map via poser node, and that want translate to luxrender when exporting) , what i do is to not use a texture at all but just a color. so black or brown (normally i use a very dark black and the velvet or matte material).
mattest_470.png

Generally all the posers settings in the material tab are best if you bring them to 0 or black to get correct results with the materials you will setup later in pose2lux.
this is my base setup for every material i plan to to be visible in luxrender.
base.png
baseline for poser materials

The only modifications you will need are:
- diffuse color: set a color you want or a pure texture map(with white as diffuse color), no other nodes. If you plan to use a luxrender material or create a custum material in pose2lux, leave it to white.
- diffuse value: ist best set to 0.8 or lower to avoid fireflys (i would generally disable the "scale colours" in the pose to lux option tab. it scales them all the same way, by doing it in the poser node room you can control them individually).
- specular color: controls how visible (and the color) the glossyness will be (if you choose a specular color driven material in pose2lux). Has to be a very dark black(or other dark color) but you can change that in the exporter afterwards.
- bump map and value (the bum ammount has to be strongly reduced compared to poser to not get strange results)
- displacement map and value
- transparency and value
cisi

Postby krom » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:51 pm

Thanks for the advice, i forgot to mention the first render (eyelash) was with a hair material from pose2lux & the second was with a basic matte, does that by itself make any difference?
krom

Postby cisi » Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:33 am

hi, i would avoid using the hair material from pose2lux, the original coder for some reasons creates a glass material for the so called hair material seen in pose2lux.
That has a lot of downsides:
- it renders slowly
- takes a lot of ram (i got a lot of out of memory until i finally figured this one out).
- and in my opinion glass is not the luxrender material to go for hair (probably he did to get a shine effect in the hair).

for lashes (they are so small) i would go for the matte material.
For hair i got good results with the velvet material, and if you really want to tweak it to get some more realistic hair shine i would got for a custom glossy material. But the last one as said needs tweaking until you get a realistic results. You cant just choose glossy from the materials list, you will have to create a custom one.
cisi

Next

Return to General