Badges

Discussion related to the Website functionality, user accounts and graphic design.

Moderators: Dade, coordinators

Re: Badges

Postby OmegaX » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:03 pm

B.Y.O.B. wrote:
OmegaX wrote:Received a good reaction to these on irc, hopefully the forum agrees.

I like them, just the order is incorrect, I think (first place - gold, second place - silver, third place - bronze).

I posted them in random order since I was so tired, the actual order I had in mind was actually 1st gold/ 2nd silver/ 3rd bronze I just had the png's randomly arranged, edited my post for actual order. :)
OmegaX

Postby OmegaX » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:41 pm

Abel wrote:I like the clarity of OmegaX's proposal, they're so nice looking that I'm starting to get tempted to spend some time on a nice competition entry. :)

Wow, thanks for the compliment. :D
OmegaX

Postby binarycortex » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:08 am

I like both designs, perhaps we could join them both. I like the background that patro did, and the badges that OmegaX did, so we could put those badges on patro's background.
Competition Coordinator.
Current Competition: Math is Beautiful / Abstract Wallpaper

Member of the first official jeanphi-fan club
binarycortex
Developer

Postby Dobz » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:13 am

binarycortex wrote:I like both designs, perhaps we could join them both. I like the background that patro did, and the badges that OmegaX did, so we could put those badges on patro's background.

Good idea! I like them both too.

I think that patro should alter his metal gradients first, they look a bit "old". The "winner" text doesn't seem to blend in well to me, would be could if it was tweaked. :)
OmegaX should also try and make the Lux logo stand out slightly more, it's a tiny bit hard to see.

My thoughts on the two designs.
Dobz

Postby binarycortex » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:29 am

Dobz wrote:Good idea! I like them both too.

I think that patro should alter his metal gradients first, they look a bit "old". The "winner" text doesn't seem to blend in well to me, would be could if it was tweaked. :)
OmegaX should also try and make the Lux logo stand out slightly more, it's a tiny bit hard to see.

My thoughts on the two designs.

I agree with both points Dobz.
Competition Coordinator.
Current Competition: Math is Beautiful / Abstract Wallpaper

Member of the first official jeanphi-fan club
binarycortex
Developer

Postby patro » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:28 am

I have a better idea,

I lookked at deviantart Omega's gallery, he is a fine comic carachter designer, we could join my background with one like this
http://bebluetoo.deviantart.com/art/Fut ... 60656&qo=3

PS: the winner text on the badges.... I think isn't much important cause you have a gold, silver, bronze for the winners... the text is there only for the noobish.... so that they understand that the badges stays for a competition.... and not for a special forum group.
patro

Postby Carbonflux » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:50 am

I think combining them might be a bit to complex, I agree that it interferes with the form layout. Personally I like the simple sun shapes, I admit this is a totally subjective view of course :)

Regardless, I think OmegaX and patro deserve a lot of thanks for the time they put into this.
Last edited by Carbonflux on Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
www.carbonflux.org - photographing the imagination.
Carbonflux
Developer

Postby Dobz » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:58 am

Carbonflux wrote:I think combining them might be a bit to complex, I agree that it interferes with the form layout. Personally I like the simple sun shapes, I admit this is a totally subjective view of course :)

Regardless, I think OmegaX deserves a lot of thanks for the time he put into this.

Good points, I agree that joining them isn't the best option. On the IRC, OmegaX showed some of his designs where he tried merging the two styles, it just didn't work. It looked much better by it's self.
Dobz

Postby Abel » Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:03 am

I disagree with the whole "let's combine two separate designs, hoping that it will result in something better" approach. OmegaX showed some design on irc that consisted of his original design blended with a rectangular background image, but everybody agreed that it was not improving things. And I don't even understand what the benefits of Patro's new proposal would be, except for getting a result that has artistic input from both people involved.

Often I get the idea that blending ideas is suggested as nobody wants to insult anybody by stating a preference of one design over another, but the process is always cumbersome whereas the results is rarely as strong as one of the original designs. Therefore I propose to set a date until which designs can be proposed, then have a quick vote about them using the forum polling system.
Abel
Developer

Postby patro » Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:09 am

this is the only way they could work togheter... I don't retouch colors.
badges mix.png
badges mix.png (31.64 KiB) Viewed 2796 times

this was my idea about comic + background badge
comic + redc.png
comic + redc.png (14.07 KiB) Viewed 2796 times

I mean something like this... a custom comic must be designed.
patro

PreviousNext

Return to Website & Graphic design