the wiki content width is too high

Discussion related to the Website functionality, user accounts and graphic design.

Moderators: Dade, coordinators

the wiki content width is too high

Postby dyf » Tue May 27, 2014 4:42 am

It's been a long time since i posted here :) so it's good to be back
I was editing the wiki while getting myself reacquainted with LuxRender and i noticed the contents area is a little too wide and unforgiving to smaller screens. I even think it's too wide on my 1080p screen. I believe it's just a CSS property that needs to be changed to a reasonable size so i hope that gets done.

D
dyf

Re: the wiki content width is too high

Postby Abel » Tue May 27, 2014 6:01 am

I completely agree, on my screen the only way to read comfortably is by making my browser window smaller. This can of course be used as a workaround, but I would much prefer not having to do this.

Do you have any suggestions as to what a suitable width would be? I think I've used 720px as the maximum width of images, but as higher dpi screens are getting more common I'd say we need something larger than that.
Abel
Developer

Postby dyf » Tue May 27, 2014 6:44 am

I believe 720 (total) is the way to go.
Most of the world's screens are 720px and above wide ( see http://www.w3counter.com/globalstats.php ).

Regarding images, I'd advice against using larger ones. Some of the wiki images are already needlessly large; for example, i don't quite like the first image in the interface page: http://www.luxrender.net/wiki/LuxRender_Interface. i'm planning to replace it with something that gets the point across but not slap the reader in the face with a big image they need to scroll to be able to see. we should also make the pages friendly for tablet users (i'd say excluding phone browsers is reasonable).

hi btw 8-)
dyf

Postby Rhys » Wed May 28, 2014 12:36 am

I am working on a new site, it will include most user documentation on main page. Developer documentation afaik will remain on the wiki.
It looks something like this; http://southernvisual.com.au/luxrender/ ... /lighting/

As you can see, on these documentation pages, the content area is around 850px and it should be responsive. (probably doesn't collapse very well at the moment but more work is to do)

However I am progressing slow, being very busy, I hope I can have some better time available in the next months. There is some things I want to build into back end to make the site easily maintainable and I wish to includes some stuff that has in the past been buried in the forums/repository somewhere. This is why it takes so long, I want to create more than just download a bloated theme then copy/paste from old website. :)
Rhys

Postby jeanphi » Wed May 28, 2014 1:26 am

Hi,

Thanks a lot Rhys for your efforts, they are very much appreciated.

Jeanphi
jeanphi
Developer

Postby dyf » Wed May 28, 2014 1:58 am

Rhys,
this looks excellent already; it even looks good on my phone.
it would be great if we could apply that theme to the main wiki

D
dyf

Postby jeanphi » Wed May 28, 2014 4:00 am

Hi,

Actually the site Rhys is developing is using completely different tools than the current one so I don't think we can just apply the theme to the current site.

Jeanphi
jeanphi
Developer

Postby Rhys » Wed May 28, 2014 8:22 pm

I hope it might be ready before Lux2.0 is released, so we can have a big "refresh" "next generation LuxRender". Does anyone have rough ETA on Lux2.0? (end of year??)
Rhys

Return to Website & Graphic design