Infrared rendering

Please use this forum for general user support and related questions.

Moderator: coordinators

Forum rules
Please include your operating system type/version, LuxRender version and Exporter version used when submitting a support post.

Make sure you have read the Release forum thread for Release and RC (Release Candidates) builds as these threads contain information on known problems and workarounds: Test Builds Forum

Infrared rendering

Postby lokida » Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:30 am

Hi,

I would like to render infrared images and I would like to know if it could be possible to do it using LuxRender.
I would like to implement specific BRDF and define temperature on material object. The computation will return me a luminance (W/(m².sr)). So for a pixel I would like to use a LUT to display in Grey Levels the associated luminance.

Does LuxRender can do this ? Or if I want to develop specific code, could I do it ?

Thank you.
lokida

Re: Infrared rendering

Postby Dade » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:58 am

lokida wrote:I would like to render infrared images and I would like to know if it could be possible to do it using LuxRender.
I would like to implement specific BRDF and define temperature on material object. The computation will return me a luminance (W/(m².sr)). So for a pixel I would like to use a LUT to display in Grey Levels the associated luminance.

Does LuxRender can do this ? Or if I want to develop specific code, could I do it ?

I think you will have mostly to modify/extend one of the existing Sampler to sample infrared wavelengths too :idea:
Dade
Developer

Re: Infrared rendering

Postby jeanphi » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:09 pm

Hi,

LuxRender is based on the asumption that you work in the visible spectrum, so the luminance is computed according the the CIE XYZ tristimulus which are 0 outside of the visible range.
If you want to render outside of the visible range you need to modify LuxRender to:
- change the sampled spectrum range
- change the data used to convert the spectra to tristimulus values

Jeanphi
jeanphi
Developer

Return to LuxRender User Support