LuxRender v1.1 release

News & Announcements regarding releases, features, exporters and project coordination.

Moderator: coordinators

LuxRender v1.1 release

Postby jeanphi » Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:23 pm

Hi all,

Less than a month after the historical v1.0, we're back at it with a new v1.1 version. What really motivated this new release is the Blender 2.64 release which was incompatible with the LuxRender v1.0 exporter, and since we also had quite a few goodies ready we decided to do a brand new version to celebrate. We're also abandoning the old LuxBlend (2.4x) plugin since everybody seems to have switched to the new version of Blender, it is still available from its repository, should be compatible with recent releases, but hasn't been updated for quite some time and won't give access to the most recent features.
We'll do our best to answer your questions in the forums or in the bug tracker.

Packages or installers for most platforms have been made available from our downloads page. Some exporters have been packaged in the installers depending on the platform, otherwise you'll be able to get them from the download page or the repositories.

Changes since v1.0:
- huge speed up with CPU rendering (measured from 10 to 40% improvement, mostly noticeable when using instances)
- new sky2 light using Hosek and Wilkie just released model
- render queue fixes when using network rendering
- fix haltspp when using SPPM
- new nsamples parameter to the distant light to match other lights and be adjustable with advanced light sampling schemes
- don't add an extra extension when saving jpeg or tiff files
- fix light groups LDR saving
- use a new cache directory in the user temp directory for network rendering to prevent denied accesses when downloading files
- prevent out of bound interpolation with the mix material
- network rendering fixes
- fix area lights consisting of several 100000 faces
- updated luxrays to support more LuxRender features in core
- architectural glass fix in SLG
- render noise threshold halt condition in SLG
- various fixes and improvements

In LuxBlend25:
- update for new Blender tile rendering
- update for new Blender color management
- update for new LuxRender sky2
- various tweaks

---------------------------

Source Code

People who want to download the source code can download the v11 tag files of our HG source code repository here:
http://src.luxrender.net/lux/file/4b4289cda943
LuxRays is now a very strong requirement to build LuxRender even when not using OpenCL:
http://src.luxrender.net/luxrays/file/589aa5dac899

LuxBlend (2.64): http://src.luxrender.net/luxblend25/file/3a928b723b29

---------------------------

Cheers,

Jeanphi
jeanphi
Developer
 
Posts: 7316
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:21 am

Re: LuxRender v1.1 release

Postby povmaniaco » Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:35 pm

Great work guys... Very soon, there will be a release of LuXSI 1.1. :)
User avatar
povmaniaco
Developer
 
Posts: 203
Joined: Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:27 pm
Location: Barcelona, Spain

Re: LuxRender v1.1 release

Postby zeealpal » Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:28 pm

Very nice, I was wondering, what is 'render noise threshold halt condition in SLG'

I have not seen this before, and I like SLG alot, what does that do?
i5 3.6GHz | 2 * 7970 GHz Edition | 8GB RAM | Shinobi XL Case
zeealpal
 
Posts: 558
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:28 am
Location: Victoria, Australia

Re: LuxRender v1.1 release

Postby J the Ninja » Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:42 pm

zeealpal wrote:Very nice, I was wondering, what is 'render noise threshold halt condition in SLG'

I have not seen this before, and I like SLG alot, what does that do?


It stops the rendering what the noise level drops below a user-defined threshold. Same thing that's being worked on for big Lux along with the noise-aware sampler and refine area brush.
-Jason
User avatar
J the Ninja
Developer
 
Posts: 2472
Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 9:54 pm
Location: Portland, USA

Re: LuxRender v1.1 release

Postby zeealpal » Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:53 pm

J the Ninja wrote:
zeealpal wrote:Very nice, I was wondering, what is 'render noise threshold halt condition in SLG'

I have not seen this before, and I like SLG alot, what does that do?


It stops the rendering what the noise level drops below a user-defined threshold. Same thing that's being worked on for big Lux along with the noise-aware sampler and refine area brush.


Ahh cool, I thought it might have been, but I hadn't read about it anywhere :P Will have fun testing it :)

Edit: How would one enable this feature? Is there a line I can add to the SLG scene? I cant find it in the Blender exporter.
i5 3.6GHz | 2 * 7970 GHz Edition | 8GB RAM | Shinobi XL Case
zeealpal
 
Posts: 558
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:28 am
Location: Victoria, Australia

Re: LuxRender v1.1 release

Postby SATtva » Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:24 pm

Once again, congratulations with the exceptional work! This was a fruitful month. :)
Linux builds packager
聞くのは一時の恥、聞かぬのは一生の恥
User avatar
SATtva
Developer
 
Posts: 6247
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:19 pm
Location: from Siberia with love

Re: LuxRender v1.1 release

Postby Dade » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:50 am

zeealpal wrote:Edit: How would one enable this feature? Is there a line I can add to the SLG scene? I cant find it in the Blender exporter.


For instance with:

Code: Select all
./bin/slg2 -D batch.haltthreshold 0 -D screen.refresh.interval 10000 scenes/luxball/render.cfg


It will stop when the rendering is noise free (i.e. 0) and it will perform the test every 10000ms (i.e. 10secs).
User avatar
Dade
Developer
 
Posts: 6060
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2008 6:04 pm
Location: Italy

Re: LuxRender v1.1 release

Postby zeealpal » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:06 am

Dade wrote:
zeealpal wrote:Edit: How would one enable this feature? Is there a line I can add to the SLG scene? I cant find it in the Blender exporter.


For instance with:

Code: Select all
./bin/slg2 -D batch.haltthreshold 0 -D screen.refresh.interval 10000 scenes/luxball/render.cfg


It will stop when the rendering is noise free (i.e. 0) and it will perform the test every 10000ms (i.e. 10secs).


Awesome, thankyou :) This could be quite useful for rendering animations as well, if it ends up in the Blender Exporter at some time :)
i5 3.6GHz | 2 * 7970 GHz Edition | 8GB RAM | Shinobi XL Case
zeealpal
 
Posts: 558
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:28 am
Location: Victoria, Australia

Re: LuxRender v1.1 release

Postby tomb » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:46 am

Congratulations everyone, great work indeed!
User avatar
tomb
Developer
 
Posts: 2416
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:23 pm
Location: Oslo, Norway

Re: LuxRender v1.1 release

Postby carlosa » Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:02 am

Image
User avatar
carlosa
 
Posts: 32
Joined: Wed May 30, 2012 7:19 am

Next

Return to News & Announcements

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron