Surprise! Here is a brand new release candidate and we decided to jump the version number to 1.0 to emphasize the fact that LuxRender is a production ready application as is constantly demonstrated by the various artists using it. It still has a few rough edges that we'll try to polish in the next few weeks to get the best final possible. To meet that goal we await your feedback
We are bundling SLG (Small Lux GPU) with this release because it is lightning fast and pretty usable even with its highly experimental status.
Thanks to all those who have made this release possible, especially new developers who have joined the team since the v0.8 release.
Get the new binaries from our downloads page
and get ready for the upcoming splash screen contest.
Changes since v0.8 (yes it's big, and when you see much improved features, it really means it, the amount of work has been astounding):
- much improved SPPM rendering (stochastic progressive photon mapping)
- much improved hybrid path rendering
- new hybrid bidir rendering
- improved network rendering with better reconnect logic
- improved rendering speed and memory usage
- updated GUI
- point and spot lights now have lighting power and efficacy parameters like area lights
- normal mapping support
- much improved motion capabilities
- updated carpaint model so that it better matches the original paper
- new colordepth texture to assist in defining volume parameters from their appearance
- new layered material allowing arbitrary layering of materials
- new glossycoating material allowing to make any material glossy
- new fresnel functions to allow configuration from RGB colors, mixing, gradients, ...
- new metal2 material much more flexible than the previous metal material
- colorspace fixes
- better linear tonemapper behaviour regarding real lighting schemes
- improved loop subivision surfaces handling
- new direct sampling of lights for bidirectional
- faster image buffer handling
- new SQBVH accelerator given better results than standard QBVH (still experimental)
- much improved build system with reduced executable sizes thanks to the use of DLLs
- lots of bug fixes and improvements all around
People who want to download the source code can download the v10RC1 tag files of our HG source code repository here:http://src.luxrender.net/lux/file/0488d0d3ad0a
Luxblend (it is becoming deprecated): http://src.luxrender.net/luxblend/file/c16130cea655