LuxRender v1.3RC2

News & Announcements regarding releases, features, exporters and project coordination.

Moderator: coordinators

LuxRender v1.3RC2

Postby jeanphi » Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:49 pm

Hi all,

We've worked hard to fix the various glitches that had been noted in v1.3RC1 so here we are with v1.3RC2. This release features mostly bug fixes over v1.3RC1 and should hopefully be quite close to final.
We'll do our best to answer your questions in the forums or in the bug tracker. Help us make a great v1.3 by testing this RC and reporting issues.

Packages or installers for most platforms have been made available from our downloads page. Known issues in this release:
- smoke export from Blender is rather tricky and should be improved in final
- hair export from Blender isn't accounting for thickness while the core supports it, it should be fixed in final

This release doesn't yet include the new biased path tracing option that is currently being developed, but it might surface in v1.3 final given the development pace.

Changes since v1.3RC1:
- support for bump and normal maps when using the mix material and the SLG renderer
- fix for the MQBVH accelerator in SLG when all primitives have the same bounding box
- improved preview in Blender (faster and more accurate)
- fix normal generation for loop subdivided meshes and make loopsubdivision more robust (it should no longer hang nor crash)
- make the IES parser accept more valid IES files
- properly compute sky power so that it can be used with importance light sampling strategies

---------------------------

Source Code

People who want to download the source code can download the v13RC2 tag files of our HG source code repository here:
http://src.luxrender.net/lux/file/v13RC2
LuxRays is now a very strong requirement to build LuxRender even when not using OpenCL:
http://src.luxrender.net/luxrays/file/luxrender_v1.3RC2

LuxBlend (2.68): http://src.luxrender.net/luxblend25/file/v13RC2

---------------------------

Cheers,

Jeanphi
jeanphi
Developer

Re: LuxRender v1.3RC2

Postby danstermeister » Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:47 pm

It just rendered for me, just something simple. Anything you specifically want thrown at it?

Also, I noticed that the image in transferred back to Blender very quickly this time. :D
danstermeister

Postby jeanphi » Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:56 am

danstermeister wrote:Also, I noticed that the image in transferred back to Blender very quickly this time. :D

That was one of the fixes :)

Jeanphi
jeanphi
Developer

Postby Harvester » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:26 am

Hello Jeanphi,

Thank you very much for this second release candidate, and the hard work all the developers have done to get here. You guys rocks!

Now, unfortunately I am facing a problem apparently caused by the material/texture preview window. I am running Blender 2.68a in a dedicated folder (no Windows installation) and copied the content of the RC2 as folder \Lux in the Blender application root directory, as well as the plugin folder inside the addons one (the same behaviour happens even if I put the plugin into \addons_extern or \addons_contrib). Path to \Lux was set correctly in the Preferences for Luxrender.

Luxrender works fine until I select the material or texture tab for any object in the scene (it doesn't matter what), and if the mat/tex preview window is not minimized Blender crashes immediately. The only message I can see in the console is: Rendering material preview: texture (but it might be Material if the tab with the preview was related to the material instead of the textures). So, If I open a .blend file with a Luxrender scene where an object which have a material assigned is selected, then Blender/Luxrender immediately crashes as soon as the material or texture preview is displayed within its own panel. Hope its clear what happens.

My platform is based on Windows 7Pro, 64bits, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTS 360M w/1 GB VRAM, and I have local as well as Domain admin rights.

The same issue happens with the latest Blender release in trunk (SVN); tested with r60143M downloaded from builder.blender.org/download/. No problem instead if I use RC1. Not very much technical details, I know, but I hope the above information might help you.

Thank you in advance for your attention and kind regards
Harvester

Postby Lord Crc » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:11 am

Harvester wrote:Now, unfortunately I am facing a problem apparently caused by the material/texture preview window.

Does internal rendering make it crash too? Make sure to view the render results in image editor.
May contain traces of nuts.
Lord Crc
Developer

Postby Harvester » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:54 am

Hi Lord CRC,

I setted the "Render/Export type:" to "Internal" and, without doing anything else, simply opened the attached base Scene which renders correctly within the "UV/Image Editor", as well as it renders externally on the Lux GUI. In fact as you may notice the .blend file opens without any object that hold a material selected. As soon as I select the cube which has a material (the plane doesn't) and go to the Material tab Blender crashes (or Lux crashes and Blender follows it).

When I refer to the Mat/Tex preview window I mean the small preview of the material in the right panel. So, in the sample file attached, if I select the Plane which hasn't a material and click on the Material tab, only after I add a material to it, since the material preview window is maximized by default, Blender crashes immediately.

Thank you LordCRC and best regards,
Attachments
Lux-MatTex-Preview-Test.7z
Luxrender1.3RC2_vs_Blender2.68a-Crashes-on-MatTexPreview
(53.78 KiB) Downloaded 94 times
Harvester

Postby danstermeister » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:11 pm

I'm having the same problem, actually.

Viewing the Blender texture preview window will crash blender. Confirmed on multiple known-good .blend files.
If I external render to Luxrender without first using the preview window, Luxrender itself works fine. Confirmed that with a 6-hour rendering last night.

BTW, allow me thank Dade and Co. for all the work on Luxrender. This is reply is just a bug-report, personally I think the software completely rocks! :)
danstermeister

Postby Lord Crc » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:19 pm

Harvester wrote:When I refer to the Mat/Tex preview window I mean the small preview of the material in the right panel. So, in the sample file attached, if I select the Plane which hasn't a material and click on the Material tab, only after I add a material to it, since the material preview window is maximized by default, Blender crashes immediately.

Thank you for the file, I can reproduce the issue, and it seems to be in the loop subdivision code. I'll take a closer look tomorrow.

In the meantime there's a workaround if you feel brave. In the addons/luxrender/export/preview_scene.py file, find two counts of
Code: Select all
lux_context.shape('loopsubdiv', bd_shape_params)

Change them so they read
lux_context.shape('mesh', bd_shape_params)

Next find the line which says
      .add_integer('nlevels', 3) \

simply delete this line. Save and restart Blender and hopefully things will work, albeit without a curved backdrop for the preview.

edit: I attached the modified file, if you don't feel quite as brave :) Simply replace the original in the mentioned path.
Attachments
preview_scene.zip
(4.57 KiB) Downloaded 169 times
May contain traces of nuts.
Lord Crc
Developer

Postby danstermeister » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:33 pm

I used your attached file, and we are back in business :)

Thank-you very much!
danstermeister

Postby jeanphi » Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:07 am

Hi,

That's quite bad, and I thought that loopsubdiv issues were behind us...

Jeanphi
jeanphi
Developer

Next

Return to News & Announcements