LuxRender v1.3RC1

News & Announcements regarding releases, features, exporters and project coordination.

Moderators: Dade, coordinators

LuxRender v1.3RC1

Postby Lord Crc » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:59 am

Hello everyone!

It's been a while since our last release, and there's been some nice development so time to prepare for a new one. Check the summary below for changes. The included LuxBlend exporter requires Blender 2.68 or later.

We'll do our best to answer your questions in the forums or in the bug tracker. Please help us improve v1.3 by testing this RC and reporting issues in our bug tracker.

You'll find the downloads on our downloads page.

Changes since LuxRender 1.2:

- Improved support for Strands (hair).
- Support for vertex colors and alpha.
- Improved lower bound on glossy roughness (0.000001 vs old limit of 0.006), can be made mirror-like now.
- Better out-of-gamut color clamping.
- New "darken" color clamping mode.
- New "abbe" fresnel texture for specifying IOR using Abbe numbers.
- New false color tonemapper.
- New obstacle-map based glare, much faster and much better looking.
- New "heterogeneous" volume type (for smoke etc), along with 3d textures "cloud", "exponential" and "densitygrid".
- New "autopowerimp" light strategy.
- New Catmull-Rom and Blackman-Harris pixel filters.
- New renderer "slgrenderer", which integrates the SLG rendering engine in LuxRender (not interactive though).
- LuxRender now also has "sobol" sampler, faster alternative to the "lowdiscrepancy" sampler.
- Arealights can now be instanced, this allows for motion blurred lights.
- Support for deferred loading of meshes.

In addition there has been a lot of bugfixes and minor changes. I'd like to thank the new contributors which provided some of the great additions above.

Changes in LuxBlend25 since version 1.2:
- LuxRender executable location has moved to addon preference panel, see Blender Addon page in user preferences.
- Support for node editor!!! Note this is still under development, which may later render your node materials invalid, so use for testing/playing only at this time please.

--------------------------------

Source code:

People who want to download the source code can download the v13RC1 tag files of our HG source code repository here:
http://src.luxrender.net/lux/file/v13RC1
LuxRays is a requirement to build LuxRender even when not using OpenCL:
http://src.luxrender.net/luxrays/file/luxrender_v1.3RC1

LuxBlend (for Blender 2.68): http://src.luxrender.net/luxblend25/file/v13RC1

Cheers and happy bug hunting :)
May contain traces of nuts.
Lord Crc
Developer

Re: LuxRender v1.3RC1

Postby Piita » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:25 am

Excellent stuff! There is nothing but greatness in the changes since 1.2. Great work everybody!
Piita

Postby SATtva » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:26 am

Great work indeed. :) Now lets test and polish out all this stuff to make a final release we all could be proud of.
Linux builds packager
聞くのは一時の恥、聞かぬのは一生の恥
SATtva
Developer

Postby tomb » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:21 pm

Congratulations to all who have contributed - great work!
tomb
Developer

Postby jensverwiebe » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:14 pm

Heya's :) so no one can say Lux isn' developing ... :)

Something to mention for OSX especially:

I made a last-minute change to OSX rc1 to handle noiseaware with fast_mutex aka spinlocks.
This takes away the speedpenalty when rendering simple scenes with noiseaware on machines with lot of
cores ( 8 + signficantly ) and i also recognized a nice speedbump with pylux preview.

Users please give feedback when possible.

The download chart implies the OSX builds are still universal for 32bit and 64bit, which is not the case since a while.
We agreed since 1.2 ( ? ) to just release 64bit versions. These always are openCL capable with an restriction:

Supported OS'ses 10.6 throughout 10.9 anyway have OpenCL by default, but as we swithched to CL 1.1, 10.7 is now the lowest compatible OSX for CL rendering.

Again:
- To run LuxMark2.1 or LuxRender native render modes, you need at least OSX 10.6.
- LuxRender slg modes as well as SLG4 ( in LuxVR mode ) need at least OSX 10.7 with CL 1.1 capable gpu devices.
- AMD gpu's still suffer from a driver/IL-compiler problem and atm. give no correct render results, NVidia may work ( have no feedback atm. )
A needed fix may be only apply for upcoming 10.9, but thats not clear as i write this comment.
- OpenCL runs fine on all Intel cpu's used by Apple ( for what it's worth ;) ) but does not yet support HD 4xxx neither HD5xxx intergrated graphics.

Jens
jensverwiebe
Developer

Postby Fax » Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:26 pm

Awesome sauce guys :D Thank you for this!

Quick question:

Support for node editor!!! Note this is still under development, which may later render your node materials invalid, so use for testing/playing only at this time please.

Does this mean it is still under development until the final 1.3 release, or will it still be considered unstable when 1.3 comes out?

I'm working on an in-depth tutorial series and looking forward to jump right into recording once the interface is deemed (as) final (as it can be, of course things change quickly these days!) :)

Keep up the great work!
I'm learning Blender and letting you know how that goes! faxonblender.wordpress.com.
Lux renders: Date in the Sunset ¦¦ Factory Lot
Fax

Postby Lord Crc » Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:31 pm

Fax wrote:
Support for node editor!!! Note this is still under development, which may later render your node materials invalid, so use for testing/playing only at this time please.

Does this mean it is still under development until the final 1.3 release, or will it still be considered unstable when 1.3 comes out?

The actual nodes and how you glue them together will probably stay pretty much the same until 1.3 release. What might change is under the hood, meaning that old node materials won't load correctly in newer versions of the exporter. This has to do with how Blender stores and restores scripts and their data.

Fax wrote:I'm working on an in-depth tutorial series and looking forward to jump right into recording once the interface is deemed (as) final (as it can be, of course things change quickly these days!) :)

Sounds great!
Lord Crc
Developer

Postby Lord Crc » Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:40 pm

I'd just like to give a shout out to all contributers, especially the new guys providing some cool patches.

In my haste to post this (was supposed to be on Monday but a lighting bolt took away my internet) I didn't have the names ready, so here they are:
- Sebastien De-Cunsel provided us with the improved out-of-gamut color handling, darken clamping mode, false-color tonemapper and the obstacle-based glare code.
- Patrickwalz provided the new pixel filters (Blackman-Harris might become the new default, looks very good).

Hope I haven't forgotten someone, I'm good at doing that :(

Anyway thanks again everyone, including all you users who churn out so many great renders!
Lord Crc
Developer

Postby cwichura » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:31 pm

Hopefully the regressions introduced with jeanphi's changes to Loop are fixed before 1.3 final. (He assigned the BTS entries to himself. Loop displacement is pretty unusable right now due to all the geometry errors it creates. It affects pretty much every singe scene I've exported from Studio, each using different meshes + displacement maps.)

But there is a lot of great stuff in 1.3, so be nice to see it go gold. :)
cwichura

Postby jeanphi » Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:03 pm

Hi,

Great to see it released! Let's now try to shake out the last issues to have a great final version. Thanks everybody.

Jeanphi
jeanphi
Developer

Next

Return to News & Announcements