New Blender 2.5 exporter for LuxRender 0.7

Discussion related to the 'LuxBlend' Blender 2.4+ python exporter script.

Moderators: Dade, Ratow, SATtva, coordinators

New Blender 2.5 exporter for LuxRender 0.7

Postby Genscher » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:50 pm

Hey guys,

if anyone wants to extent + test my little unfinished(!!)

LuxRender 0.7RC1 exporter (no "exporter framework" needed!)

download the render script here (you have to change the path in the script where luxrender is):

http://d7z.de/tmp/index.php?file=engine_render_lux.py

Please help by extending it :) Still many things missing but i thought I would just start it instead of just waiting and complaining.

Please post only if you have a bug (not a missing feature!), or if you have some patch for me.

Thanks!
Daniel / Genscher

Functional:

04-09-2010:
* Exporting geometry
Genscher
Developer

Re: New Blender 2.5 exporter for LuxRender 0.7

Postby jeanphi » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:53 pm

Hi,

Thanks for your efforts, but why don't you just start with the current Blender 2.5 exporter work in progress at http://src.luxrender.net/luxblend25/ ?

Jeanphi
jeanphi
Developer

Postby dougal2 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:32 pm

Actually, if you've got exporting geometry working then you've done the perfect compliment to the luxblend25 that I have started :D

So far, I have written all the material editor and rendering settings panels, but nothing on the geometry side.

It would be nice to see both combined into a complete exporter/integration. It is worth noting that luxblend25 is still somewhat waiting for the pylux bindings to mature, however that part of the exporter could easily by swapped out for an lxs file writer.

I hope that some collaboration can happen here, rather than ending up with 2 divergent exporters :mrgreen:
dougal2
Developer

Postby SurfingAlien » Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:10 am

dougal2 wrote:Actually, if you've got exporting geometry working then you've done the perfect compliment to the luxblend25 that I have started :D

So far, I have written all the material editor and rendering settings panels, but nothing on the geometry side.

It would be nice to see both combined into a complete exporter/integration. It is worth noting that luxblend25 is still somewhat waiting for the pylux bindings to mature, however that part of the exporter could easily by swapped out for an lxs file writer.

I hope that some collaboration can happen here, rather than ending up with 2 divergent exporters :mrgreen:

I totally agree with that. and I'm looking forward to see some testing 2.5LuxExporter release (having to learn Blender almost from the ground I didn't invest too much time in the "old" 2.4x, and since I tried 2.5 I'm so in love I simply cannot come back :D - yes I know most of the things only changed their "surface" from 2.49 to 2.50 but as a newbie I just thought it wasn't useful to get amused with the old fashioned app... and then change again)

funny the 2.5 exporter for SLG seems way ahead right now (but I can imagine SLG has a smaller amount of things to implement too...?)

anyways, keep up the great work guys... very appreciated ;)
MacBookPro@2x2.4GHz/4Gb/OSX10.6.4 (Master) - P4HT@3.85GHz/2Gb/WinXP32 (Slave) - Blender 2.53 (.the.Jens.release.) | LuxRender 0.7 - SLG 1.6b2
SurfingAlien

Postby Dade » Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:13 pm

SurfingAlien wrote:funny the 2.5 exporter for SLG seems way ahead right now (but I can imagine SLG has a smaller amount of things to implement too...?)

699 lines of code (http://src.luxrender.net/luxrays/file/3 ... lluxgpu.py) Vs 7753 lines (http://src.luxrender.net/luxblend/file/ ... end_0.1.py), it is a bit simpler :D
Dade
Developer

Postby jensverwiebe » Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:44 pm

SurfingAlien, you are kidding , right ? ;)

Jens
jensverwiebe
Developer

Postby SurfingAlien » Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:22 pm

of course yes, Jens... just forgot a "sarcastic" smiley in my post. I'm no programmer but even I can see (or "imagine") that ;)
what surprised me is having a 2.5 exporter for SLG in such a short time, not that making LuxBlend for 2.5 takes longer.
and that's all, I really don't want to be misunderstood or hurt somebody (I appreciate so much all the effort and passion and time you developers are putting into this project!)

cheers,
Alessandro
MacBookPro@2x2.4GHz/4Gb/OSX10.6.4 (Master) - P4HT@3.85GHz/2Gb/WinXP32 (Slave) - Blender 2.53 (.the.Jens.release.) | LuxRender 0.7 - SLG 1.6b2
SurfingAlien

Postby Genscher » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:34 am

Hey dougal2,

great work on the latest luxblend25 enhancements.

One thing I found is that self.wf() doesn't take "file" as argument (and therefore the script crashes/doesn't work):
Code: Select all
def attributeBegin(self, file=None):
         self.wf(Files.GEOM, '\nAttributeBegin', file=file)
I just deleted that last "file=file" and it worked nicely.

I have one question about how I can give "integer indices" as argument, or how I can supply "integer indices []" ;)
def shape(self, *args):
        self._api('Shape', file=Files.GEOM)

Doing simple
l.shape('trianglemesh')
works for the tag, but the index, normal, uv and point arguments cannot be supplied to l.shape().

Thanks for helping out,
daniel / genscher
Genscher
Developer

Postby dougal2 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:47 am

further parameters are passed as a list of tuples:
l.shape('trianglemesh', [
 ('indices', [0, 1, 2, 0, 2, 3 ... etc ...]),
 ('otherparam', 'paramvalue')
])

or, in a different form as you can see in luxrender.__main__
shapeparams = {
 'indices': [0, 1, 2, 0, 2, 3 ... etc ...],
 'otherparam': 'paramvalue'
}
l.shape('trianglemesh', list(shapeparams.items()))
dougal2
Developer

Postby dougal2 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:51 am

Genscher wrote:
def attributeBegin(self, file=None):
         self.wf(Files.GEOM, '\nAttributeBegin', file=file)
I just deleted that last "file=file" and it worked nicely.

I was playing around with a mechanism to ensure that AttributeBegin/AttributeEnd code is written to the correct file (they can appear in the main file as lightsource definitions, or in the geometry file), I probably forgot to remove some old code or haven't finished it yet :oops:

It is looking likely that an extra method may be needed in the Custom_Context classes to switch the output file (of course, the implementation in pure_api will do nothing).

Ideas on how to achieve this without having to create useless extensions on the Context class would be welcome :)

As ever, this is all subject to change as we slowly discover the best way to make it work ;)
dougal2
Developer

Next

Return to LuxBlend (Blender Exporter)