LuxRender Bug Tracker

View Issue Details Jump to Notes ] Issue History ] Print ]
IDProjectCategoryView StatusDate SubmittedLast Update
0001652LuxRenderCorepublic2017-02-01 08:332017-05-17 04:33
Reportermesilliac 
Assigned To 
PrioritynormalSeverityminorReproducibilityalways
StatusnewResolutionopen 
PlatformLinuxOSUbuntuOS Version16.04
Product Version1.5 
Target VersionFixed in Version 
Summary0001652: Loading some PLY files using "plymesh" type Shape fails to find faces
DescriptionI'm trying to create a basic scene loading and displaying a PLY mesh which i've exported using AssImp ( http://assimp.org/ [^] ).

I've successfully created a scene which loads the Stanford Bunny PLY, but the same scene won't load this exported PLY.

I tracked down the difference in the files to the face description in the header. The Stanford Bunny has the definition:

element face 16301
property list uchar int vertex_indices

whereas the assimp-exported version has the definition:

element face 5382
property list uchar int vertex_index

I also verified that in the luxrender source code on bitbucket the header is only checked for "vertex_indices".

I consider this a bug in luxrender, not assimp, as there is conflicting information on what the name of this field should be. Wikipedia uses "vertex_indices", as does the stanford bunny data itself, but the top search result for "PLY file format" (which is also linked by Wikipedia as the source for its information), http://paulbourke.net/dataformats/ply/ [^] clearly uses "vertex_index".

As such it's probably best to just support both names, if possible.
Steps To ReproduceI'll attach a working and non-working examples of PLY files and simple lux scenes which can be run via luxconsole.

The steps i used were:
1. convert a model to PLY using `assimp export my_model.obj my_model.ply`
2. add to .lxs scene as `Shape "plymesh" "string filename" ["my_model.ply"]`
3. render using `luxconsole my_scene.lxs`

but basically it suffices to grab a PLY file and change the name of the face field between "vertex_indices" and "vertex_index".
Additional Informationon this bug report form, "product version" only allows selection of "1.4" and "1.5" but i'm running Luxrender 1.6, which has been out for almost a year now...
TagsNo tags attached.
Mercurial Changeset #
Requires Documentation UpdateNo
Requires Exporter Update
Attached Filesgz file icon ply_differences.tar.gz [^] (355,247 bytes) 2017-02-01 08:33

- Relationships

-  Notes
(0004334)
B.Y.O.B. (developer)
2017-05-17 02:49
edited on: 2017-05-17 02:58

Is this about LuxCore or the old "Classic Lux"?

edit: if we're talking about LuxCore, I guess the two relevant places in the code are these?
https://bitbucket.org/luxrender/luxrays/src/36522ab160966421059d047d58965c882aa1bb0d/src/luxrays/core/exttrianglemesh.cpp?at=default&fileviewer=file-view-default#exttrianglemesh.cpp-299 [^]
https://bitbucket.org/luxrender/luxrays/src/36522ab160966421059d047d58965c882aa1bb0d/src/luxrays/core/exttrianglemesh.cpp?at=default&fileviewer=file-view-default#exttrianglemesh.cpp-495 [^]

(0004335)
mesilliac (reporter)
2017-05-17 04:33
edited on: 2017-05-17 04:33

Hi, i was using the version 1.6 downloaded from luxrender.net, so i think "classic lux", but it looked like it also would affect luxcore.

It looks like that first place you've linked is the culprit. I don't know what ply_set_read_cb is doing, but if it's possible to also check for "vertex_index" (only if it doesn't find "vertex_indices"), i'd guess that would solve this issue in all cases.


- Issue History
Date Modified Username Field Change
2017-02-01 08:33 mesilliac New Issue
2017-02-01 08:33 mesilliac File Added: ply_differences.tar.gz
2017-05-17 02:49 B.Y.O.B. Note Added: 0004334
2017-05-17 02:58 B.Y.O.B. Note Edited: 0004334 View Revisions
2017-05-17 04:33 mesilliac Note Added: 0004335
2017-05-17 04:33 mesilliac Note Edited: 0004335 View Revisions


Copyright © 2000 - 2017 MantisBT Team
Powered by Mantis Bugtracker