Zero Devices while GPU Acceleration rendering

Please use this forum for general user support and related questions.

Moderators: Dade, coordinators

Forum rules
Please include your operating system type/version, LuxRender version and Exporter version used when submitting a support post.

Make sure you have read the Release forum thread for Release and RC (Release Candidates) builds as these threads contain information on known problems and workarounds: Test Builds Forum

Zero Devices while GPU Acceleration rendering

Postby hardbass » Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:19 pm

Since I'm using Radeon rx480 videocard working in Daz3d 4.10 I decided to find an alternative render engine instead of Nvidia Iray.
And Reality which is using LuxRender is pretty decent for me. So must say I'm newbie in 3D rendering, have never jumped into this before.
I bought and installed Reality 4.3 into Daz3d studio and it works well with CPU Acceleration. However it doesn't work with GPU Acceleration, just black screen, 0 devices, 0 threads, time keeps going and nothing happens.
I tried different scenes, just blank scenes. Nothing. I tried different settings, which are told to be common fixes. Sometimes, gradually increasing OpenCL Group Size lead me to render, but I'm not sure it wasn't CPU render (since i tried a lot of times). The number of OpenCL Group Size was alway random from 1 to 64. But it's not the fix, when you are trying to set different numbers of group size each time you render.
HOWEVER, LuxMark 3.1 works fine with GPU Acceleration and gives me 14948 scores, which is okay for me. I tried to install different latest AMD drivers including SDK but nothing helps.

Please help me if you have any idea. Thanks!

RX480, Win10 64bit, 8GB Ram, Intel i5 6500
hardbass

Re: Zero Devices while GPU Acceleration rendering

Postby Dade » Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:51 pm

hardbass wrote:RX480, Win10 64bit, 8GB Ram, Intel i5 6500

Does i5 6500 has an integrated GPU ? It may be the source of your problems. How many OpenCL devices do you see in LuxMark ?

Intel GPUs have limited hardware resources and they are not suited for rendering and just freeze the PC if you try to use them.
Dade
Developer

Postby hardbass » Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:38 pm

Dade wrote:
hardbass wrote:RX480, Win10 64bit, 8GB Ram, Intel i5 6500

Does i5 6500 has an integrated GPU ? It may be the source of your problems. How many OpenCL devices do you see in LuxMark ?

Intel GPUs have limited hardware resources and they are not suited for rendering and just freeze the PC if you try to use them.

Thank you for the reply. No, there's only Ellesmere (gpu) and Intel Core (TM) i5 6500 CPU.
Well. I'm sorry, but after all of my attempts to start GPU render, it finally works. All I have to do is wait for a while like 2-3 minutes and render just starts, also 1 Thread and 1 Device appears. But it literally kills my RAM by overloading before render start. It may load my VRAM up to 100% (windows task manager) before render start. This lead to PC lock up and smell of burning pc components may appear.
Anyway, GPU Acceleration WORKS!

Reality Scene Configuration setup is:

[*] OpenCL rendering
[*] No Extra Boost
[*] Only GPU (Ellesmere) is on
[*] OpenGL Group Size is 64
[*] Type is: Mono-directional
[*] FFs removal set to 1
[*] Max Patch length set to 13
[*] Sampler: Sobol
[*] No Noise Aware
[*] Light Strategy: Single
Last edited by hardbass on Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
hardbass

Postby B.Y.O.B. » Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:13 pm

hardbass wrote:This lead to PC lock up and smell of burning pc components may appear.

You might want to check your cooling system ;)
B.Y.O.B.
Developer

Postby hardbass » Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:19 am

Simple scenes renders fast. But just more complicated scenes causes pc lockups before actually process of rendering start :(
I don't think the trouble is in cooling system since I was able to monitor temperatures while rendering.
Probably something wrong with latest AMD drivers cos I saw some posts on the Reality forum. Probably with my RAM cos it makes sence as I can see.
I'm not going to look for a fix anymore. If I'll accidentally find a fix I'm gonna tell about it here.
hardbass

Return to LuxRender User Support