Luxball5

General Project and community related discussion.

Moderators: Dade, coordinators

Re: Luxball5

Postby Rhys » Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:46 am

I started with low detail holes, but more than 6 vertice as far as I recall. Hexagon was not enough topology to control to result an accurate representation.
Then I used casting and projection type casting to shape the sphere without the logo being deformed.

I think 3dsMax and vray can use explicit normals, which is probably what the nurbs programs use as well to create the desired shading, and the why it looks fine in 3dsmax/vray.

I believe I have corrected this imperfection anyway. Basically it just required relaxing of the mesh in that area, then re-casting.
mirror2.jpg

close.jpg
Attachments
Luxball6_candidate_b.7z
(1.59 MiB) Downloaded 279 times
Rhys

Postby patro » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:11 am

explicit normals! can this be implemented into luxrender? as i understand it need less faces-vertices.
and yes i have no clue about this :lol:

with t-spline i can start with just hexagons, because the resulting skinned surface is a smooth nurbs anyway, converting it into a rhino nurbs surface it will generate a quad based dense nurbs surface. the good thing is that i can subdivide the surfaces once they are done, or add some more edges. like any polygonal software it can shows the geometry faceted or smooth. faceted is my goal. to export it as mesh and than in 3ds max apply a smooth modifier and for sure some more interactions. then see how it works/looks.
but it's something i want to try, just for me and max users. you did great with your one.
patro

Postby patro » Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:09 am

may i ask some one to be so kind and export the luxball and the inner sphere for the pivot, as 3ds and or obj? with modifier and not, thank you.
sorry, i have blender 2.56, i don't use it, but every time i try to export on my own from it and than the imported file in max show an error to be empty.
thanks
patro

Postby Rhys » Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:51 pm

Hi sorry patro I forgot this.
Here are the obj with modifier applied and without, including;
-The inner sphere
-Luxball
-New floor with uv mapping for the 5x7 grid texture
-New luxring with the better UV map

I think that's what is updated. Let me know if you need something more ;)
Attachments
LuxBall6Candidatie_OBJ.7z
(1.93 MiB) Downloaded 103 times
Rhys

Postby patro » Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:59 am

hi Rhys thank you for the exported model
but i think you've exported it as a single object and in max it gives big import geometry errors, or in blender there is something selected the generate this errors.
same errors for the one with no geometries modifier

EDITED: importing it into rhino don't gives mesh errors.. i will export from rhino again. thank you. i'll let you know how it works in max.
patro

Postby patro » Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:01 am

well the smooth obj can be exported correctly from rhinoceros no geometry errors to see.
the without modifier one looks great in rhino too, but it can't be exported correctly from it.
so maybe i would be glad if you could try to export it again ;)
patro

Postby Rhys » Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:33 am

Yeah no worries, I try this time with "keep vertex order" ticked, but further I have no ideas how to proceed.
I'm avoiding .3ds because it appears to always triangulate and fbx export has errors it seems.

Strange stuff :?
Attachments
LuxBall6Candidate_OBJv2.7z
(1.93 MiB) Downloaded 104 times
Rhys

Postby patro » Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:34 am

well it didn't help too but anyway. the without modifier is not readable in max... i need to convert it in rhino with t-spline exporting as obj works for max... but max import it as smooth. you did great work, it's the way i'm doing it in rhino now... didn't have time to complete it.

PS: maybe you export it as unique object... i think that rhino can't group it since they are meshes.... while max do because it can.
patro

Postby Rhys » Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:30 am

Try this one, separated objects files.
Attachments
LuxBall6_Separated_OBJ.7z
(1.93 MiB) Downloaded 134 times
Rhys

Postby patro » Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:40 am

as separated files it works... ;) strange. thank you
patro