LuxC4D 0.06d

Discussion related to the 'LuxC4D' exporter plugin for Maxon Cinema 4D.

Moderators: Dade, Ratow, coordinators

LuxC4D 0.06d

Postby abstrax » Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:33 pm

Hi all,

I have updated LuxC4D 0.06 just another time. I hope it's the last release before 0.07. These things have changed:

- we use now system() to launch LuxRender on Mac, to avoid problems on Mac OS 10.5 reported by forgeflow
- added accelerator settings to LuxC4D Scene Settings (default is now QBVH which seems to be faster in most of the cases)
- added the possibility to specify the output file name of the rendered image in the LuxC4D Scene Settings
- added export of infinite lights from sky objects: if there is no portal object in the scene and we don't use integrator "bidirectional" it gets exported as "infinitesample" otherwise as "infinite"
- you can specify more parameters of an infinite light in the LuxC4D light tag, if you assign it to the sky object
- sky object selection (we export only the first visible one) can also be controlled via C4D stage object (similar to camera object)
- changed C4D-to-Lux scale factor to cm -> the scale factor value has to be set 100x higher (it's 1 by default now) - the scale factor of old scenes will NOT be updated
- changed the exposure time of linear tone-mapping to milliseconds (the value is now 1000x higher) - the exposure time of old scenes will NOT be updated
- the auto-light is now a point light at the position of the camera, to avoid Lux errors when using bidirectional integrator
- now we export most of the material parameters/channels, even if they are disabled in C4D, because they often have a default in Lux that is not black or 0
- emit-only objects get now a black matte material and thus don't reflect any light
- doubled the brightness of area lights
- the default tone-mapping is now "maxwhite" to reduce trouble with blown highlights with default settings
- removed parameter "initial samples" from advanced Metropolis settings

As usual, the current source can be found on: http://src.luxrender.net/luxc4d/ (use branch 0.06)

EDIT: Spirou4D has (again) updated the French strings for LuxC4D. Many thanks to him. As I'm too lazy to update all 7 archives, please download them directly from
LuxC4D_0.06d_strings_fr.zip
(9.38 KiB) Downloaded 269 times

... and unpack them into the resource folder of the LuxC4D plugin (...<CINEMA 4D directory>/plugins/LuxC4D/res).

Here are the plugin archives:

... for Windows CINEMA 4D R9.6 (32+64 bit):
LuxC4D_0.06d_win_r9.6_release.zip
(289.28 KiB) Downloaded 319 times

... for Windows CINEMA 4D R10.1 - R11.0 (32+64 bit):
LuxC4D_0.06d_win_r10.1_release.zip
(289.87 KiB) Downloaded 467 times

... for Windows CINEMA 4D R11.5 (32+64 bit):
LuxC4D_0.06d_win_r11.5_release.zip
(371.97 KiB) Downloaded 473 times

... for Macintosh CINEMA 4D R9.6:
LuxC4D_0.06d_mac_r9.6_release.zip
(191 KiB) Downloaded 195 times

... for Macintosh CINEMA 4D R10.1 - R10.5:
LuxC4D_0.06d_mac_r10.1_release.zip
(230.62 KiB) Downloaded 221 times

... for Macintosh CINEMA 4D R11.0 (32+64 bit):
LuxC4D_0.06d_mac_r11.0_release.zip
(433.85 KiB) Downloaded 256 times

... for Macintosh CINEMA 4D R11.5 (32+64 bit):
LuxC4D_0.06d_mac_r11.5_release.zip
(465.06 KiB) Downloaded 280 times

Cheers,
Marcus
Last edited by abstrax on Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
abstrax

Re: LuxC4D 0.06d

Postby abstrax » Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:09 pm

... And here is the updated material test scene. I removed the numbers in the squares and the square lines as they were all stored as geometry. I also redid almost all objects of the Lux ball (except the logo ball itself) to be C4D generated objects. And I changed the tone-mapping to linear tone-mapping and updated the camera tag.

The file works with C4D R9.6 and higher:
luxball_new.zip
(1.86 MiB) Downloaded 370 times

Here is a rendering of it:
luxball_new.png

Cheers,
Marcus
abstrax

Postby forgeflow » Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:54 pm

I've taken a few stabs at redoing the logo ball itself as a subdivision object. There's something about the "official" ball that bothers the daylights out of me. But, as it isn't official, and is quite a bit different from the official one, I've not shared it.

Question - did you also add a depth of field effect to this version, as I've not noticed it before in other renders.
forgeflow

Postby abstrax » Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:03 pm

forgeflow wrote:I've taken a few stabs at redoing the logo ball itself as a subdivision object. There's something about the "official" ball that bothers the daylights out of me. But, as it isn't official, and is quite a bit different from the official one, I've not shared it.

Question - did you also add a depth of field effect to this version, as I've not noticed it before in other renders.

Yes, I have added a DOF which would be realistic for an object of this size and that focal length. Feel free to change it. I'm posting it here mainly so that not everybody else has to do it again.

Cheers,
Marcus
abstrax

Postby forgeflow » Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:14 pm

I've been going over some of my old scene files to see what would have to be done to them to re-render with Lux, and I came across a beer bottle setup I did. (very similar to this: http://planetpixelemporium.com/renderpages/beer.html). I did the labels on the bottle with stencil textures stacked on top of the beer glass texture. My understanding is that with Lux, I'd have to directly make the labels as separate objects. My trouble is, I don't know of an easy way to do that...

Will the C4D exporter some day support these kinds of texture layerings? I'm not sure if Lux supports an alpha mask for a texture or not. (No rush, just a general question).
forgeflow

Postby abstrax » Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:10 am

forgeflow wrote:I've been going over some of my old scene files to see what would have to be done to them to re-render with Lux, and I came across a beer bottle setup I did. (very similar to this: http://planetpixelemporium.com/renderpages/beer.html). I did the labels on the bottle with stencil textures stacked on top of the beer glass texture. My understanding is that with Lux, I'd have to directly make the labels as separate objects. My trouble is, I don't know of an easy way to do that...

Will the C4D exporter some day support these kinds of texture layerings? I'm not sure if Lux supports an alpha mask for a texture or not. (No rush, just a general question).

It may not make it into 0.07, but yes it's planned. It's actually not too hard, but I just didn't have enough time yet. That means material stacking and alpha channels will be available together. In Lux it's also possible to use different texture mappings and stuff, the only thing that is not possible is to have more than one UV coordinate per vertex. At least UV transformations, like scale and shift are also defined per texture and with that per material.

Cheers,
Marcus
abstrax

Postby Dade » Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:11 am

forgeflow wrote:I'm not sure if Lux supports an alpha mask for a texture or not. (No rush, just a general question).

You can achieve a alpha mask-like effect with mix+null material. It requires a bit more work but the result is the same.
Dade
Developer

Postby Spirou4D » Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:54 pm

Hi Abstrax,

Here's Spirou4D and his french translation! Read your mailbox, please.
I have make my job for you and every body....of course!

By
Spirou4D
--
Patrick Depoix
Architect DPLG
136, rue d'Esquermes
59000 Lille
France
Tel (0/33) 952 51 33 25
Mailto:patrick.depoix@free.fr
Spirou4D

Postby abstrax » Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:37 pm

Spirou4D wrote:Hi Abstrax,

By
Spirou4D

Yeah, sorry. I just didn't get around to check and add it to the repository and add it to the first message of this thread. I will do this tonight.

Cheers,
Marcus
abstrax

Postby abstrax » Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:48 am

Spirou4D wrote:Hi Abstrax,

By
Spirou4D

Ok, done. The strings can now be downloaded from the start of the thread. Version 0.07 will then have them in the archives again.

Thanks for your work. Cheers,
Marcus
abstrax

Return to LuxC4D (Maxon Cinema 4D Exporter)