A Project re-boot

News & Announcements regarding releases, features, exporters and project coordination.

Moderators: Dade, coordinators

A Project re-boot

Postby Dade » Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:43 pm

You may have noticed there has been some broken link on the web site and an apparent general lack of activity. It is time to
explain a bit what is happening to the LuxRender project.

The original maintainers of some old aspect of the project (like the old web site) are not involved in LuxRender anymore. While the active developers are currently very busy working on a complete project re-boot with a new web site, wiki documentation, forums, software and more.
It is not worth the time of the active developers to fix the problems of the old software and, sometime, it is not even possible due the lack of the original material (i.e. for instance, the items pointed by the broken links).

The new LuxRender project will be released soon and it will worth the waiting.

There will be a "Family & Friends" test phase before the public release. If you are interested in being part of the test phase, please, leave a message below with the platform you are working on (i.e. Windows, Linux or MacOS) and a note about how you would like to be involved (i.e. tester, artist, developer, etc.).

We are looking also for people interested in being part of the new project crew. We really need a new MacOS maintainers otherwise there will not be a MacOS version of the new software.
Dade
Developer

Re: A Project re-boot

Postby SATtva » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:32 pm

This is great news! Although I'm not involved in project development and 3D scene anymore, I'd be glad to see what Lux Project has achieved recently. If possible, count me in. :)
Linux builds packager
聞くのは一時の恥、聞かぬのは一生の恥
SATtva
Developer

Postby Luximage » Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:47 am

I am looking forward to the new site.
Interested to be involved as an artist, or tester or both.
I am in windows 7.
LuxCore 1.7 SDK version - Blender 2.78 - windows 7 x64
Luximage

Postby acasta69 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:45 am

This is very good news, I'm looking forward to see the new version!
I have less and less time lately, but if possible I'd be glad to help (with tests and/or Windows builds, Win 7 and 10).
Windows 10 64 bits, i7-4770 3.4 GHz, RAM 16 GB, GTX 970 4GB v382.05
acasta69

Postby burnin » Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:54 pm

Thank you! Also for the smiles & making me happy :D
Can count on me too - with testing & artistry (win7).
burnin

Postby marcatore » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:41 am

I'm really happy that you're rebooting this project.
I'm honest saying I'm curious about testing but I don't have so much time do it.

I will test it not so much frequently...if it's fine for you, I'm glad to give you my little help.
Otherwise, no problem, I'll wait public releases.

I'm on window 7 64bit and I could do test with network rendering with 3 render slaves.
marcatore

Postby zeealpal » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:13 pm

Glad to see this, have used Lux for many years :)

Happy to help test, Windows 10. Have several machines and AMD/nVidia GPU's I can test with.

Alan
i7 4790k @ 4.8GHz | 2 * GTX 970's | 16GB RAM
zeealpal

Postby scottbroad » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:36 am

Good to see LuxRender is moving on ...

Happy to help test on Win10 64bit NVidia GTX 1060 ...
scottbroad

Postby gecko » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:37 pm

Yikes, just checked the website to grab the latest release and got nervous that development had stopped. Glad I saw this!

I'm maybe not the most technical of testers, but I'd be happy to have early access and give the new version a try. I run Win10 64-bit, Win7 64-bit, and Ubuntu. I'm typically pushing jobs from Luxblend on one of my Windows machines to all the others running slave copies of Lux. I've got a variety of different generations of i7 chipsets as well as a few AMDs in my farm, so I can at least offer a wide range of platforms for evaluation. But similar to others, this is just a hobby for me, so I'll play around with it as I have free time.

Is the forum here still the right place to watch for updates on the rebuild, or should we be looking somewhere else?
gecko

Postby Dade » Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:35 am

psor.png

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

gecko wrote:Is the forum here still the right place to watch for updates on the rebuild, or should we be looking somewhere else?

I would sincerely start the testing even today but I think we are hold back by a Blender bug. There is a new Blender plugin, re-written from scratch, and it has hit a Blender bug. I think it is a show stopper at the moment but B.Y.O.B. can better explain the situation.
Dade
Developer

Next

Return to News & Announcements