LuxCore: issues, problems, regressions

Discussion related to the implementation of new features & algorithms to the Core Engine.

Moderators: Dade, jromang, tomb, zcott, coordinators

LuxCore: issues, problems, regressions

Postby SATtva » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:15 am

Guys, it seems bump is totally broken in LuxCoreRenderer (LuxBlend API 1.x) at the moment:

untitled.Scene.00001.jpg
Lux classic Path

untitled.Scene.00002.jpg
LuxCore Path (LuxCoreRenderer)

untitled.Scene.00003.jpg
LuxCore Path OpenCL (LuxCoreRenderer), CPU device only

Bump doesn't show up no matter how large is the height value.
Attachments
luxcore-bump-test.blend
Testscene
(218.06 KiB) Downloaded 189 times
Linux builds packager
聞くのは一時の恥、聞かぬのは一生の恥
SATtva
Developer

Re: LuxCore: new features

Postby Dade » Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:36 am

SATtva wrote:Bump doesn't show up no matter how large is the height value.

SATtva, you have to define UV coordinates for the object or LuxCore will not apply bump/normal mapping. If you unwarp the sphere everything will work fine:

bump.jpg

This happen because LuxCore use the UV coordinates to define the orientation of the local frame, this has been added in the past in order to avoid some type of problem with anisotropic material (the problem was discovered by Tomb). I have to check what classic Lux does when no UV information are available and replicate the same behavior.

P.S. Pick an option:

[*]Sobol+Sun = sudo rm -rf /
[*]Sobol+Distant light = sync
[*]Metropolis+sun = sync ; sh back_up_system.sh

My eyes were bleeding for the fireflies :lol:
Dade
Developer

Postby SATtva » Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:41 am

Dade wrote:SATtva, you have to define UV coordinates for the object or LuxCore will not apply bump/normal mapping. If you unwarp the sphere everything will work fine:

Ah, that did the trick. But i must say this is very counter-intuitive. Usually one decides to use procedural textures just when he don't want to mess with UV maps, so you can easily assume there is no UV map at all. Could LuxCore generate UV map internally when it's needed?
Linux builds packager
聞くのは一時の恥、聞かぬのは一生の恥
SATtva
Developer

Postby Dade » Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:10 am

SATtva wrote:
Dade wrote:SATtva, you have to define UV coordinates for the object or LuxCore will not apply bump/normal mapping. If you unwarp the sphere everything will work fine:

Ah, that did the trick. But i must say this is very counter-intuitive. Usually one decides to use procedural textures just when he don't want to mess with UV maps, so you can easily assume there is no UV map at all. Could LuxCore generate UV map internally when it's needed?

LuxCore should be now able to render bump mapping even when UV coordinates are not available, can you try it ?
Dade
Developer

Postby jensverwiebe » Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:40 am

Dade wrote:
SATtva wrote:

LuxCore should be now able to render bump mapping even when UV coordinates are not available, can you try it ?

Compiled the new feature, but get immidiately kernel compile error with SATtva's testscene now. Also on CLcpu !

RUNTIME ERROR: PathOCLBase kernel compilation error

UPDATE: without OCL is fine

Jens
jensverwiebe
Developer

Postby SATtva » Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:45 am

And here's another issue which definitely is a bug/regression compared to classic Lux: when calculating emission power it seems LuxCore treats every polygon as a separate object instead of calculating power over all polygons of an object using a given emissive material. Here's a simple test: each meshlight is a separate object, they both are using the same material; a left-hand meshlight is a simple plane (one quad) while a right-hand meshlight is split to 11 faces (11 quads). With Lux classic both meshlights produce the same emission power; with LuxCore emission is multiplied.

luxcore-emission-test.Scene.00001.jpg
Lux classic Path

luxcore-emission-test.Scene.00002.jpg
LuxCore Path
Attachments
luxcore-emission-test.blend
Testscene
(88.91 KiB) Downloaded 169 times
Linux builds packager
聞くのは一時の恥、聞かぬのは一生の恥
SATtva
Developer

Postby Dade » Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:55 am

jensverwiebe wrote:Compiled the new feature, but get immidiately kernel compile error with SATtva's testscene now.

I should have fixed the problem.
Dade
Developer

Postby jensverwiebe » Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:47 am

Dade wrote:
jensverwiebe wrote:Compiled the new feature, but get immidiately kernel compile error with SATtva's testscene now.

I should have fixed the problem.

Jep, i verify you did :) cpu + gpu ....

Thx

Jens
jensverwiebe
Developer

Postby Dade » Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:47 am

SATtva wrote:And here's another issue which definitely is a bug/regression compared to classic Lux: when calculating emission power it seems LuxCore treats every polygon as a separate object instead of calculating power over all polygons of an object using a given emissive material. Here's a simple test: each meshlight is a separate object, they both are using the same material; a left-hand meshlight is a simple plane (one quad) while a right-hand meshlight is split to 11 faces (11 quads). With Lux classic both meshlights produce the same emission power; with LuxCore emission is multiplied.

I should have fixed the problem:

al.jpg
Dade
Developer

Postby SATtva » Sat Oct 11, 2014 12:54 am

Great, thank you!
Linux builds packager
聞くのは一時の恥、聞かぬのは一生の恥
SATtva
Developer

Next