LuxCore: new BIASPATHOCL with OpenCL micro-kernels

Discussion related to the implementation of new features & algorithms to the Core Engine.

Moderators: Dade, jromang, tomb, zcott, coordinators

Re: LuxCore: new BIASPATHOCL with OpenCL micro-kernels

Postby kalel » Sun Oct 16, 2016 2:32 am

B.Y.O.B. wrote:You're right, I was not aware that Jens already implemented it: https://bitbucket.org/luxrender/luxblen ... 6d272a0073
A LuxBlend update will not touch your Lux binaries in any way, don't worry.

Ah, great news. :) Then everything will work fine out of the box.

P.S. I didn't expect them to of course, but I was just thinking about every possible explanation for why it would start working after an update if not supported. It seems the simplest one was the right one (that simply luxblend got updated to support it).
kalel

Postby jensverwiebe » Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:29 am

kalel wrote:
B.Y.O.B. wrote:You're right, I was not aware that Jens already implemented it: https://bitbucket.org/luxrender/luxblen ... 6d272a0073

P.S. I didn't expect them to of course, but I was just thinking about every possible explanation for why it would start working after an update if not supported. It seems the simplest one was the right one (that simply luxblend got updated to support it).

Yeah, initial need to get something rendered. Whats missing is adding the new parameters ( path ) as well as removing the obsolete ones ( biaspath ).
See again: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13129&sid=d5b2485887e6ed233772efcdbd100554#p124566

Jens
jensverwiebe
Developer

Postby kalel » Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:40 pm

jensverwiebe wrote:
kalel wrote:

Yeah, initial need to get something rendered. Whats missing is adding the new parameters ( path ) as well as removing the obsolete ones ( biaspath ).
See again: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13129&sid=d5b2485887e6ed233772efcdbd100554#p124566

Jens

Thanks for the info. Dade mentioned this possibility as well:
Dade wrote:I have finished to write the above post, I'm also going to write a new thread with a proposal of "Path engine unification for exporters": showing a single PATH rendering engine with just several flags: CPU/OpenCL, Tile/No-tile, RT/No-RT, etc.

Something like this might be worth considering for the future, if many of the parameters are the same. However I'm still not sure how it would work for those settings that might still be exclusive to biaspath.

P.S. I've added quickly the bias parameters for Path in luxblend, not properly, just for testing. The zip with changed files is attached. It also applies the new parameter name for total max depth in path (otherwise the max depth setting will not work because the parameter name has changed). The files go into the plugin location, e.g. "%appdata%\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.78\scripts\addons\luxrender\"

Once more, it's not a proper solution, I'm not familiar with the code, and I didn't even figure out how to use the same label item that says "Path Depths" for both Biaspath and OCL Render Settings panel, so I've just changed the text of the already existing Path item, which of course is not code-wise a proper solution. Also, it's not implemented for "classic api" settings.

I'm also curious whether or not it may be a good idea to add a checkbox that enables the additional parameters for path. The reason being that previously the user only needed to increase max total path, and now, he may need to change all 4 fields.

Of course, I will leave the actual code to the experienced guys, this was just a quick add so I can test Path with bias.

P.P.S. On a side-note, RT Path OCL is giving me a black image on any scene I try, any idea what's wrong?
https://cdn-e1.streamable.com/video/mp4 ... 8cb13fd749

Perhaps the wrong sampler name is being used or maybe something else related to the micro-kernel changes?

RT Path CPU is working well.
Attachments
luxrender.7z
(14.32 KiB) Downloaded 66 times
Last edited by kalel on Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
kalel

Postby B.Y.O.B. » Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:04 am

kalel wrote:Perhaps the wrong sampler name is being used or maybe something else related to the micro-kernel changes?

In that case you would get a detailed error message.
Are there any messages in the log?
B.Y.O.B.
Developer

Postby kalel » Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:07 am

B.Y.O.B. wrote:
kalel wrote:Perhaps the wrong sampler name is being used or maybe something else related to the micro-kernel changes?

In that case you would get a detailed error message.
Are there any messages in the log?

I can't see any errors in the log (I could be missing something but there's nothing apparent), it just produces a black screen.

Edit: It may be related to some samplers, I'll upload a video soon

Okay, here's the video:
https://cdn-e1.streamable.com/video/mp4 ... 11f7cd951a

Changing to "Sobol" makes it work it seems, but either Metropolis (default) or Random produce a black image only.
This is on AMD hardware (tonga, bonaire, with CPU device being used with OCL same result).
kalel

Postby jensverwiebe » Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:13 pm

I put now the missing new properties for path into luxblend and removed the obsolete ones fom biased.
The features are shown according to the engine capabilities as usual.
I also moved the main engine chooser on top of devices, which is more straight.
Luxblend version is bumped to 1.7.dev.

I left out the more "exotic" features for now.
Was a bit unsure about pathdepths defaults, so kept the former ones.
Will post this also in exporter thread, so no one misses it.

Jens
jensverwiebe
Developer

Previous

Return to Architecture & Design