LuxCore: issues, problems, regressions

Discussion related to the implementation of new features & algorithms to the Core Engine.

Moderators: Dade, jromang, tomb, zcott, coordinators

Re: LuxCore: new features

Postby SATtva » Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:10 am

Considering LuxCore shortcomings, would it be possible to implement GlossyTranslucent or GlossyCoating materials? Currently there is nothing in LuxCore to simulate translucent base with glossy coating (short of mixing Glossy with MatteTranslucent, but this combo is much trickier to configure and in most cases leads to different results).
Linux builds packager
聞くのは一時の恥、聞かぬのは一生の恥
SATtva
Developer

Postby SATtva » Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:08 am

Another issue, DOF this time.

luxcore-dof-testscene.Scene.00001.jpg
Lux classic Path

luxcore-dof-testscene.Scene.00002.jpg
LuxCore Path OpenCL (CPU device)

luxcore-dof-testscene.blend
Testscene
(127.62 KiB) Downloaded 59 times

(I've split the LuxCore Features topic to not abuse it with bugreports.)
Linux builds packager
聞くのは一時の恥、聞かぬのは一生の恥
SATtva
Developer

Postby Dade » Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:08 am

SATtva wrote:Considering LuxCore shortcomings, would it be possible to implement GlossyTranslucent or GlossyCoating materials? Currently there is nothing in LuxCore to simulate translucent base with glossy coating (short of mixing Glossy with MatteTranslucent, but this combo is much trickier to configure and in most cases leads to different results).

It is possible and it is not even that complex but it is quite some work ... and you may have noticed I don't like very much to work on materials :lol: So if some beats me in the porting, is welcome.

P.S. GlossyCoating may also cause some problem with AMD compiler because of its mix-like nature. GlossyTranslucent is less problematic because it is a kind of hard coded mix.
Dade
Developer

Re: LuxCore: issues, problems, regressions

Postby SATtva » Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:06 am

Any of them will work, it's just a matter of fact we have nothing for glossy translucency at the moment. :)
Linux builds packager
聞くのは一時の恥、聞かぬのは一生の恥
SATtva
Developer

Postby jeanphi » Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:38 am

Hi,

I might give it a try. But the current LuxCore architecture makes it a bit harder to develop materials than in Lux.

Jeanphi
jeanphi
Developer

Postby Dade » Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:41 pm

SATtva wrote:Another issue, DOF this time.

You are using camera auto-focus option that wasn't supported by LuxCoreRenderer but is by LuxCore. I extended LuxCoreRenderer to support auto-focus and now DOF seems to works fine.

P.S. SATtva, you have broken LuxVR execution from LuxBlend with this commit https://bitbucket.org/luxrender/luxblen ... 1e5d0618a3. You should pass epsilon settings inside the .lxs not from command line. I think also that epsilon command line settings are not passed trough network rendering so this may be the source of your other problem too. Bug report fire back :lol:
Dade
Developer

Postby sharlybg » Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:22 pm

Hi very happy tout see all the progress here and the last release. My first test show that There is some minor bug again. Light type ans position are not exported. And material preview show all items.i m ready for an interior design test hehe thank dade ;) .Metal material give difuse render.viewport preview rendering mod doesnt match selected rendering engine
Last edited by sharlybg on Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
i7 4970 + 32 Gb ddr3 + 2X R9 390 sapphir nitro.
sharlybg

Postby SATtva » Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:58 pm

Dade wrote:You are using camera auto-focus option that wasn't supported by LuxCoreRenderer but is by LuxCore. I extended LuxCoreRenderer to support auto-focus and now DOF seems to works fine.

Sorry, i didn't mentioned that: the result was the same regardless of how DOF distance was set -- using auto-focus or manually. Can you also check the manual setting?

Dade wrote:P.S. SATtva, you have broken LuxVR execution from LuxBlend with this commit https://bitbucket.org/luxrender/luxblen ... 1e5d0618a3.

Whoops. :) Gonna fix that.

Dade wrote:You should pass epsilon settings inside the .lxs not from command line. I think also that epsilon command line settings are not passed trough network rendering so this may be the source of your other problem too. Bug report fire back :lol:

Yes, i know it isn't passed to nodes, that's why i started each of them explicitly with epsilon option. I'll try to come up with a proper test case.
Linux builds packager
聞くのは一時の恥、聞かぬのは一生の恥
SATtva
Developer

Postby Dade » Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:09 am

SATtva wrote:Sorry, i didn't mentioned that: the result was the same regardless of how DOF distance was set -- using auto-focus or manually. Can you also check the manual setting?

It seems to work fine even with manual settings for me :?:
Dade
Developer

Postby HoloFan » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:06 am

I thought it would be better to move this into the appropiate thread, because I think http://www.luxrender.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=11317 isn't for sorting out technical difficulties. :)

Dade wrote:Anyway, the OpenCL CPU device can be easily re-enabled by editing the .bat (you probably already know how).

That's how I got the crash. :)

Dade wrote:I didn't know, Intel OpenCL CPU driver works fine for me on Linux however the version I'm using is quite old. I assume it is an Intel driver bug, you can try to check if there is a newer version on Intel web site.

I am using the current version 14.2 on an i7 5820K (Haswell-E). Maybe it is AVX2-related?
I appended the console output for further reference.

I doubt it is related to the following warning:
Code: Select all
WARNING: Linking two modules of different data layouts!
WARNING: Linking two modules of different target triples: C:\Program Files (x86)
\Common Files\Intel\OpenCL\bin\common\clbltfnshared.rtl: 'i686-pc-win32-elf' and
 'x86_64-pc-win32-elf'

According to https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/topic/520385 the message should just be ignored and they want to fix it in the next release. And the warning appears with BIASPATHOCL as well, but this engine is working perfectly.
Attachments
LuxCoreCrash_Console.txt
(13.58 KiB) Downloaded 44 times
HoloFan

PreviousNext

Return to Architecture & Design