LuxCore: new features

Discussion related to the implementation of new features & algorithms to the Core Engine.

Moderators: Dade, jromang, tomb, zcott, coordinators

Re: LuxCore: new features

Postby acasta69 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:27 am

Dade wrote:
Dade wrote:
acasta69 wrote:Thanks Dade, double images with Bidir+Ortho have gone now, however lighting with that combination looks different (I'm not using IES lights though):

Ok, this is likely to be another problem in ortho camera PDF, going to check...

I should have fixed this problem.

I can confirm it's working fine now. Thanks again! :)
Windows 10 64 bits, i7-4770 3.4 GHz, RAM 16 GB, GTX 970 4GB v382.05
acasta69

Postby Dade » Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:34 am

Note: I removed the support for path.fastpixelfilter.enable property in all path tracers. Fast pixel filtering is now always enabled. It is always better/faster so there was no point in having this option. BiDir is still using old type of pixel filtering (because fast pixel filtering is not possible for the light pass).
Dade
Developer

Postby Dade » Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:53 am

LuxCore film file (and, in general, LuxCore serialization process) is now portable across multiple platforms. This is an important step for some future feature (like resume rendering, etc.).
Dade
Developer

Postby B.Y.O.B. » Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:18 pm

Dade wrote:LuxCore film file (and, in general, LuxCore serialization process) is now portable across multiple platforms. This is an important step for some future feature (like resume rendering, etc.).

Nice. Btw., is network rendering on the roadmap, or are there more important things first?
B.Y.O.B.
Developer

Postby Dade » Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:55 pm

B.Y.O.B. wrote:
Dade wrote:LuxCore film file (and, in general, LuxCore serialization process) is now portable across multiple platforms. This is an important step for some future feature (like resume rendering, etc.).

Nice. Btw., is network rendering on the roadmap, or are there more important things first?

#1 Resume rendering
#2 LuxRender2 GUI
#3 Network rendering
#4 Classic Lux Ultimate Edition (i.e. a nice way to say R.I.P. Lux v1.x)
#5 New web site
#6 A new web site for hosting LuxCore materials definitions with integration with LuxCore API (i.e. shared libraries of material/texture definitions downloaded by a dedicated web site, etc.)
#7 Hardware-less rendering: LuxCore API support of cloud rendering (i.e. no local hardware used for the rendering, using instead a remote resource like Amazon AWS, etc.)
#8 Spectral rendering (may be and may be BiDir CPU only)

Now, I'm not sure of the order of each single task ... or where the hell to find the (human) resources to do all this stuff. What it is annoying me is that some (supposed to be) simple task is worrying me more than some quite technical complex task. For instance, #5 :roll:
Dade
Developer

Postby B.Y.O.B. » Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:45 pm

Dade wrote:What it is annoying me is that some (supposed to be) simple task is worrying me more than some quite technical complex task. For instance, #5 [new web site]

Maybe a web developer could be hired from the donations money?
I also remember several attempts to make a new website (e.g. by Rhys or pciccone) but none of them succeeded. Maybe hiring a paid professional would be the best?
B.Y.O.B.
Developer

Postby Dade » Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:05 pm

B.Y.O.B. wrote:Maybe a web developer could be hired from the donations money?
I also remember several attempts to make a new website (e.g. by Rhys or pciccone) but none of them succeeded. Maybe hiring a paid professional would be the best?

Even before that, solving all the hosting "thing" is a pre-requisite before starting working on the content.
Dade
Developer

Postby kalel » Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:53 pm

Dade wrote:
B.Y.O.B. wrote:Maybe a web developer could be hired from the donations money?

Even before that, solving all the hosting "thing" is a pre-requisite before starting working on the content.

If you need some help with the website stuff, I may be able to offer advice or help to implement the content. As far as the hosting thing goes, we're all in the same boat, that is, host availability and offers changes all the time, there's not one "the best solution", so atm e.g. Openshift is not available yet (only for testing) while it was once a pretty decent platform. As a non profit, it's likely important to find the right hoster that offers enough benefits to non profits (either free or cheap enough that it can be afforded). Amazon, Google, etc still provide some of the most professional solutions and we can check what their non-profit benefits might be. As for the content, if we tackle one thing at a time, we can succeed, that is, the main path to success is not trying to do too much at once considering a limited time/resource situation (even with a single task, such as a website, which consists of many small projects until it's up to specs). Anyway, in case you're looking for help (more on creating the content and advice wise as I don't have any special connections with any hoster to provide a better offer), feel free to contact me.
kalel

Postby Dade » Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:55 am

Thanks Kalel, the current situation is a bit intricate, with a lot of old stuff around (i.e. some, no one known how it works). The easier solution always looks like to not touch anything and pray that it continues to work but the end result is to accumulate more and more problems :roll:
Dade
Developer

Postby kalel » Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:15 am

Dade wrote:Thanks Kalel, the current situation is a bit intricate, with a lot of old stuff around (i.e. some, no one known how it works). The easier solution always looks like to not touch anything and pray that it continues to work but the end result is to accumulate more and more problems :roll:

I agree, and the step by step approach (for the website) I'm talking about applies to both "starting from scratch" or "building on the existing content". That is, if too many things are planned and expected to be finished all at once, there can be problems.

So, if a new website is to be started instead of trying to build on the existing one, I only mean that it's still wise to do it one step at a time, until completed to some satisfactory point, then switch to the new website at that point, and work at any special features as necessary after, rather than trying to make everything at once. This helps with quality and may help with making the website easier to work with in the future (when new content or changes are needed).

If the current website system is not simple to work with anymore for whatever reason, then I'm all for the idea of starting a new website rather than trying to improve the current system. In that case, a basic plan is needed.

The basic plan should consider things such as:
- What to do with the forum system (if it's a part of the website, then it should probably be taken over to the new website with whatever adjustments are necessary, rather than starting an entirely new forum and then work on transferring the old posts and user data, unless there is a good reason for that additional work)
- Which features are necessary for the new website when it comes online
- Which features are necessary for the new website in the future
- What content to take from the existing website (text, image data, and other things that should be inherited)

And so forth. Of course, there are more questions that would come accross before and during the actual process, but those are some essential ones which help decide which system to use to build the website on (such as, whether or not a CMS is beneficial enough to be used for the website core, and if so, which one). Also, it's not a bad thing to consider some other existing websites that we like, and try to implement some features and/or design inspired by those sites into the new one.
kalel

PreviousNext

Return to Architecture & Design