LuxCore: new features

Discussion related to the implementation of new features & algorithms to the Core Engine.

Moderators: Dade, jromang, tomb, zcott, coordinators

Re: LuxCore: new features

Postby kalel » Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:49 am

Dade wrote:
kalel wrote:Clicking on the "use screen resolution" button produced an image of 2554 x 1045, the same as the frame buffer size, but different from 100% (Screen resolution set in blender, then rendered with LuxCore UI).
In any case, the actual screen resolution is not used when we click on this button, at least on my computer, the frame buffer size seems to be used, which by pure assumption might be screen size - window border/titlebar and anything else like that might contribute.

"use screen resolution" means "use all pixels available in your current window" so it works as intended if you factor window title, etc. LuxCoreUI is intended a demo for developers and mostly like a LuxVR-like tool (for interactive/full-screen rendering) but it seems it is currently used as an stand alone rendering tool due the lack of an alternative solution.

Actually I love how LuxCore UI gives you the ability to tweak so many of the parameters and quickly see the changes, it's much more practical than editing the files/settings and starting LuxRender GUI each time. Unfortunately, for actual rendering it's not as practical as Lux Classic GUI (e.g. I might not be able to use 1920x1080 since my monitor is limited to 1080 height), but for scene setup/tweaking, it can be even better, especially thanks to the VR features (moving camera). As for the 'use screen resolution' , as long as it's clear that screen size - window borders and other constrictions is the outcome of the button, there's absolutely no issue. Honestly, before I knew about the aspect ratio adjustments, I assumed it would mean using the full screen resolution (for example, this is the case in all full screen applications where window size is not a consideration, and it may be the case in some windowed applications which are able to create a window larger than the screen). Then again as you pointed out it's mainly a development tool, and so if I was a developer checking the source code before using the tool, perhaps I would understand it clearly from the first time.
kalel

Postby Dade » Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:30 am

I'm working on new (optional) rendering display mode for LuxCoreUI (with scroll bars):

scroll.jpg
Dade
Developer

Postby kalel » Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:37 pm

Dade wrote:I'm working on new (optional) rendering display mode for LuxCoreUI (with scroll bars):

scroll.jpg

Wonderful, it looks great. Would it be possible to sort of "grab" this image like in LuxClassic with left mouse button? Of course, it doesn't matter with which button or key+button combination it would be in luxCore UI, but that's usually much easier to use than handling two scroll bars. Alternatively, perhaps we can have some keyboard key combination to move the scroll bars.
kalel

Postby Dade » Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:49 pm

kalel wrote:Wonderful, it looks great. Would it be possible to sort of "grab" this image like in LuxClassic with left mouse button? Of course, it doesn't matter with which button or key+button combination it would be in luxCore UI, but that's usually much easier to use than handling two scroll bars. Alternatively, perhaps we can have some keyboard key combination to move the scroll bars.

However you would loose the capability to move the camera around with the mouse. Anyway it is something I'm looking into.

Side note: the vertical scroll bar can be moved by mouse wheel, it is a feature of the GUI library (i.e. ImGui).
Dade
Developer

Postby B.Y.O.B. » Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:02 pm

What about two different modes:
1. "View mode": move image with mouse, can't move camera
2. "Move mode": move camera with mouse + WASD/arrows
This would also prevent accidental changes of the camera.
There could be two toggle buttons to indicate which mode is active and to switch between them by clicking:
Code: Select all
[View] [Move]

It could be like the already existing "Object select mode" (which could also be there as a button).
B.Y.O.B.
Developer

Postby Dade » Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:24 am

B.Y.O.B. wrote:It could be like the already existing "Object select mode" (which could also be there as a button).

Defining this feature as another "Tool" was one of my idea however it affects what LuxCoreUI does when you resize the window (i.e. restart the rendering and changes the image width/height ratio in the old mode). So it may have some unexpected side effect for a "Tool". Anyway it may be the be the more intuitive place where to add this feature.
Dade
Developer

Postby kalel » Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:59 pm

B.Y.O.B. wrote:What about two different modes:
1. "View mode": move image with mouse, can't move camera
2. "Move mode": move camera with mouse + WASD/arrows
This would also prevent accidental changes of the camera.
There could be two toggle buttons to indicate which mode is active and to switch between them by clicking:
[View] [Move]

It could be like the already existing "Object select mode" (which could also be there as a button).

This seems like a perfect solution.
Alternatively, if there any complications with implementation or etc, a keyboard combination could be used to "grab" the image. For example some keyboard key being held + mouse click and mouse move. This is not optimal of course because you could still acidentally move the camera by forgetting to hold that button, and the render would restart from the new position (really bad if you've been rendering something for hours), so, having two modes like described which you can switch from/to seems like really the optimal solution.
kalel

Postby Dade » Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:38 am

Ok, added a new tool under the name of "Image view":

tool.jpg

The starting LuxCoreUI tool can be selected with the following properties (CAMERA_EDIT is still the default):

screen.tool.type = CAMERA_EDIT or OBJECT_SELECTION or IMAGE_VIEW
Dade
Developer

Postby neo2068 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:40 pm

I did a first attempt to implement the environment camera in luxcore but the scene gets clipped at the camera plane and the part behind the camera is not rendered (right side of the image). I have to investigate what is different to luxrender version...
image0.png
equirectangular panorama camera with standard luxball scene. render engine = PATHCPU
i7 5820K, 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA Geforce GTX 780 + GTX 560, Windows 10 64bit, Blender 2.77a
neo2068
Developer

Postby kalel » Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:16 pm

neo2068 wrote:I did a first attempt to implement the environment camera in luxcore but the scene gets clipped at the camera plane and the part behind the camera is not rendered (right side of the image). I have to investigate what is different to luxrender version...
image0.png

Great start! :) Would love to see this feature eventually. :)
kalel

PreviousNext

Return to Architecture & Design