LuxCore: new features

Discussion related to the implementation of new features & algorithms to the Core Engine.

Moderators: Dade, jromang, tomb, zcott, coordinators

LuxCore: new features

Postby Dade » Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:06 am

I'm going to report here the new LuxCore features (most of the time, they are features already available in LuxRender for CPU).

LuxCore recently gained the support for point lights:

point.jpg

Point light with an emission image map (feature apparently not available in LuxBlend):

point-map.jpg

Point light with IES profile:

point-ies.jpg

And combination of both (not available in LuxBlend and not supported by LuxCoreRenderer):

point-map-ies.jpg

The only missing LuxRender for CPU feature is the usage of a texture to define the color of the point light ... frankly, it is a feature that doesn't make any sense to me.
Dade
Developer

Re: LuxCore: new features

Postby SATtva » Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:31 am

Dade wrote:Point light with an emission image map (feature apparently not available in LuxBlend):

Isn't that a Projector option with spot lights? It should work with color textures as well.
Linux builds packager
聞くのは一時の恥、聞かぬのは一生の恥
SATtva
Developer

Postby Ray Tracer » Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:04 am

Dade wrote:The only missing LuxRender for CPU feature is the usage of a texture to define the color of the point light ... frankly, it is a feature that doesn't make any sense to me.

In my humble opinion, It should make sense, for the very same reasons that induced you to implement support for IES profiles.

The two major parameters that define a real life lamp are its photometrics and its color; if you have only one of them, you can't represent it accurately.

When I use luxrender for illuminating engineering visualizations, I use a lot the lampspectrum or the blackbody textures, in order to define the lamps, together with IES profiles.
Of course you can pick up an RGB colour instead, especially if your renderer is not spectral; but I think that using a colour texture is easier and less time consuming.
Ray Tracer

Postby Dade » Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:30 am

SATtva wrote:
Dade wrote:Point light with an emission image map (feature apparently not available in LuxBlend):

Isn't that a Projector option with spot lights? It should work with color textures as well.

I'm talking here of the "mapname" parameter of point light source, apparently it is not exposed in LuxBlend. The same parameter is available for other type of light sources (i.e. spot light, projection light, etc.).
Dade
Developer

Postby jeanphi » Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:34 pm

Hi,

Actualy the mapname feature is like IES except it works with an image file (like environment mapping, but for light coming from a point). I'm not sure anyone is using it, but I'd actually like to make it more generic but allowing the user to define the BSDF of a surface from an image file. Actually the spherical function class is now very similar to a BSDF because I have been planning for a long time to just use a BSDF instead like other light sources do.
And once we have a way to define a BSDF from an image file, we could try to use it for materials.

Jeanphi
jeanphi
Developer

Postby Dade » Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:59 am

Added the support for IES area lights:

area-ies.jpg
Dade
Developer

Postby SATtva » Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:41 am

Dade, this is amazing.
Linux builds packager
聞くのは一時の恥、聞かぬのは一生の恥
SATtva
Developer

Postby jeanphi » Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:41 am

SATtva wrote:Dade, this is amazing.

Didn't we say Lux v2.0 was targeted for Christmas? ;)

Jeanphi
jeanphi
Developer

Postby SATtva » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:09 am

ROFL :lol:
Linux builds packager
聞くのは一時の恥、聞かぬのは一生の恥
SATtva
Developer

Postby zsolnai » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:28 am

That's beautiful. I can't even imagine what miracles our talented artists will do with such a feature. :)
zsolnai
Developer

Next

Return to Architecture & Design