Competition: LuxRender 0.8 Splash Screen (closed)

Post and discuss your competition entries here!

Moderators: Dade, binarycortex, coordinators

Forum rules
1. All competition entries must be a new original work unless otherwise specified during a competition.
2. All submissions must be uploaded to the corresponding competition gallery no later than the date specified in the competition post.

Re: LuxRender 0.8 Splash Screen Competition

Postby vimax » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:14 am

binarycortex wrote:Does it meet the requirements?
Yes... but not to the letter. The problems would be:
1. It's not re-rendered, but it wasn't added to the gallery before
2. it was rendered at 1920x1200 so it will be cropped and rescaled in gimp to 1000x600 (so it's not 100% only lux, but the result would be achievable in lux alone, if I were to rerender it)
as for the rest, it's luxrender only and it does have multiscatter as I was trying to render a milk-like drop.
vimax

Postby J the Ninja » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:01 am

BinaryCortex himself posted a cropped version of a previous render, so I think you are ok.

(He also never voiced any objections to me mentioning cropping my entry)
-Jason Stuff
J the Ninja
Developer

Postby heldervelez » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:05 pm

I would like to see a simulation of atmospheric environments like theese:

1 - Rayleigh_Taylor_instability as
cloud-Rayleigh-taylor.JPG
cloud Rayleigh_Taylor
but in a dry atmosphere iluminated by a low sun (near sunset) at left and the ior modeled by the air temperature gradient.

2 - jet contrail by night, 150 or 200km long, as a cilinder illuminated by the sun perpendicular to one top of it (daylight) (in a spherical earth the sun will be invisible at sea level surface). The observer will be inside the contrail in the other top and can not see the sun directly. Because LuxRender does not have a spherical geometry the overall volume must be enclosed by a dark absorbing surface. The ice crystals are hexagonal plates, aprox. plane paralel ones to each others (the axes can swing around the vertical by at most 8º), random spatial distribution, orientation and tilt. This contrail configures an optical fibre conducting light.

What I would like to see rendered are a Physical Explaination of Ufos I describe them as aerial phenomenons.

My questions :
Is LuxRender able to do the simulations ?
Can I find here someone to help ? (he/she can have all the credit and go competing.

for more details find me here: helder point velez goo....com
heldervelez

Postby jeanphi » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:26 pm

Hi,

This kind of simulation is currently out of reach for LuxRender, especially the IOR gradient.
The cloud could probably be rendered though.

Jeanphi
jeanphi
Developer

Postby heldervelez » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:16 pm

Thanks Jean

jeanphi wrote:Hi,
This kind of simulation is currently out of reach for LuxRender, especially the IOR gradient.
Jeanphi

But the IOR variation can be substituted by several concentric shells (may be half a dozen) of constant IOR. The overall result will suffice.
jeanphi wrote:The cloud could probably be rendered though.
Jeanphi

That would be very nice. What technics (effects) do you advice, in a physically based perspective, considering the long geo and objects of this problem?
Luxrender is a very good renderer (in the past I did a lot of googling)
I have 0 experience in this kind of software + blender.
heldervelez

Postby jeanphi » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:09 pm

Hi,

For the cloud you can either use a bound volume (also called volume region) with a density map to define the cloud or concentric shapes having the shape of the cloud with a null material and the new volume properties (the shape will allow you to define volumes of different densities since they are currently limited to homogeneous volumes).
In the first case you'll be limited to single scattering, in the latter you'll have a much coarser approximation of the cloud but you'll be able to have multiple scattering.
You can try to use a 3D texture with the new volume properties, it shouldn't be too bad if the variation is small.

Jeanphi
jeanphi
Developer

Postby binarycortex » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:05 pm

vimax wrote:
binarycortex wrote:Does it meet the requirements?
Yes... but not to the letter. The problems would be:
1. It's not re-rendered, but it wasn't added to the gallery before
2. it was rendered at 1920x1200 so it will be cropped and rescaled in gimp to 1000x600 (so it's not 100% only lux, but the result would be achievable in lux alone, if I were to rerender it)
as for the rest, it's luxrender only and it does have multiscatter as I was trying to render a milk-like drop.

It doesn't specifically need to be re-rendered as long as it has one of the required elements.

Mandatory Elements (must include at least one):
*Volumetric Scattering
*Micro Displacement
*Glossy Translucent
*Scatter Material
Competition Coordinator.
Current Competition: Math is Beautiful / Abstract Wallpaper

Member of the first official jeanphi-fan club
binarycortex
Developer

Postby hishnash » Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:13 am

B.Y.O.B. wrote:
hishnash wrote:im not shore if this is what you want but i did a blog post a short while ago:
link
(it is very hard to get this affect if you are using a open environment, (you need to render for ages and ages before anything become clear)

Thank you, it worked at the first try! All my tests before didn't work. I bookmarked your article ;)

edit: But I'd use the world*-medium as the foggy air, and an other medium as the clean air outside (less occupated space in the material tabs).

i did do this at first but i found it dramatically increased render time, since it was calculating lots of atmospheric desperation that i dint not need, (outside of the window), if you are doing an outside scene then yes that configuration would be better. (i would still be tempted to set all the external mediums of the object in the scene (bar the emitters to a clear-air ) this does reduce render time dramatically without making much change to the result, (if you have some highly reflective objects then it might do to have them with the same external dusty medium
hishnash

Re: Competition: LuxRender 0.8 Splash Screen

Postby coplander » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:47 am

I think you get better sharpness by doing this (rendering at hi-res then scaling down) than by rendering at lo-res directly. I'll try this too.
coplander

Re: Competition: LuxRender 0.8 Splash Screen

Postby A-man » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:23 am

Binarycortex, could you remove my spheriod picture from the competition gallery? I have a better one cooking.
i7 3770k 3.5 GHz | 16 GB RAM | Radeon 7970 3GB
A-man

PreviousNext

Return to Competitions