SLG3: preview

Discussions related to GPU Acceleration in LuxRender

Moderators: Dade, jromang, tomb, coordinators

SLG3: preview

Postby Dade » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:09 am

SLG3 is moving the first steps. While it will still take a HUGE amount of work before to be finished, here there is one of the first renderings. This is the light tracer (CPU) rendering Psor's cube (note: the cube is black because classic light tracers are not able to render directly visible specular surfaces):

light.jpg

For comparison, this is the same scene rendered with the path tracer (CPU too):

path.jpg

The magic formula for SLG3 is going to be:

(Random or Metropolis sampler) * (CPU or Hybrid or OpenCL) * (Bidirectional path tracing + Vertex Conection and Marging)

Note: OpenCL BiDir is going to be SBPT (i.e. Streaming Bidirectional Path Tracing, not the classic one).
Note2: Only CPU and Hybrid are going to have VCM support.
Note3: Old PathGPU and few more test render engines will be included too.
Dade
Developer

Re: SLG3: preview

Postby tomb » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:15 am

Sweet, looking forward to checking this out! Great work as usual :)

Do you have any references to SBPT? I can't recall having heard about it before...
tomb
Developer

Postby Dade » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:36 am

tomb wrote:Sweet, looking forward to checking this out! Great work as usual :)

Do you have any references to SBPT? I can't recall having heard about it before...

It is a a paper recently publish by Dietger van Antwerpen, it is available here: http://graphics.tudelft.nl/~dietger/paper.pdf

In my opinion, it is the right way to do BiDir on GPUs.
Dade
Developer

Postby pciccone » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:59 pm

Hi Dade.
Exciting development. Can you tell us if SLG3 is a complete new codebase or an update of SLG2? I'm basically wondering if the previous features are already in the code or if this is a "from scratch" rewrite.

Thanks!
pciccone
Developer

Postby SATtva » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:01 pm

Very exciting indeed.

pciccone wrote:Can you tell us if SLG3 is a complete new codebase or an update of SLG2?

The latter.
Linux builds packager
聞くのは一時の恥、聞かぬのは一生の恥
SATtva
Developer

Postby Dade » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:28 pm

pciccone wrote:Exciting development. Can you tell us if SLG3 is a complete new codebase or an update of SLG2? I'm basically wondering if the previous features are already in the code or if this is a "from scratch" rewrite.

It is a huge extension of SLG2 infrastructure/interfaces in order to be able to do BiDir. However SLG2 PathGPU is still there and untouched (even if I plan a review of the code because I have already spotted a couple of bug).

I'm playing with the idea to introduce a new "unified" material system that could replace all the old one (and emulate them). SLG material system needs some cleanup however I'm not totally sure to include this feature in SLG3 (i.e. there is already too much new stuff).

From the exporter point of view, for the moment, nothing has changed (same SDL syntax, same materials, same textues, same alpha, same lights, same telnet interface, etc.). You can expect to get all the new features for "free".
Dade
Developer

Postby pciccone » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:50 pm

That sounds great!
Thank you.
pciccone
Developer

Postby pl01 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:13 am

SBPT is an interesting way to do BPT on the GPU... but it does not fit well with MCMC methods (MLT, ERPT, ...)

At least, I don't see a 'good' solution for it compared to BDPT
pl01

Postby spectral fusion » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:24 am

Wow i can't tell how existing this is, noob question, is it possible to combine path and light tracing or is this the same as bidir ?
spectral fusion

Postby Dade » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:32 pm

spectral fusion wrote:Wow i can't tell how existing this is, noob question, is it possible to combine path and light tracing or is this the same as bidir ?

It is pretty much what BiDir, with multiple importance sampling, is (i.e. it picks the best of light and path tracing).
Dade
Developer

Next

Return to GPU Acceleration