LuxMark v3.1: LuxRender propaganda with OpenCL

Discussions related to GPU Acceleration in LuxRender

Moderators: Dade, jromang, tomb, coordinators

Re: LuxMark v3.1: LuxRender propaganda with OpenCL

Postby Vutshi » Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:41 am

Finally, after upgrade to OS X 10.11 GM candidate LuxMark works with my Intel Iris GPU. At least the simple scene can be rendered properly with OpenCL GPU now. The more complicated scenes keep producing an error.
Vutshi

Postby kroko » Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:28 am

Hello,

What might be the reason (and is there any solution) that LuxMark crashes on OSX, using FirePro GPU?

I have tested the new luxmark 3.1 on 2 computers

OSX
CPU: 3.7 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon E5
RAM: 16 GB, DDR3, 1866MHz, ECC
GFX1: AMD FirePro D700 6 GB
GFX2: AMD FirePro D700 6 GB
Drivers: OS managed, EFI 01.00.687, ROM 113-C3861J-687, gMux 4.0.11 [3.2.8]
Blender: 2.75a, stable, July 8, 2015

MSW
CPU: INTEL CORE I7-4790 3.6GHZ
RAM: 16GB, DDR3L, 1600MHz, Non-ECC
GFX1: Asus NVIDIA GTX980 STRIX-GTX980-DC2OC-4GD5
GFX2: Asus NVIDIA GTX980 STRIX-GTX980-DC2OC-4GD5
Drivers: NVIDIA 355.82 WHQL (10.18.13.5582) [yep, the new ones, that come with OpenCL 1.2 support]
Blender: 2.75a, stable, July 8, 2015

Scenes on MSW (GPU only)
1) LuxBall score 23295
2) Neumann score 15372
3) Hotel score 5719

Scenes on OSX (GPU only)
1) LuxBall score 20295

2)Neumann score 6923
And things start to go wrong

Screen Shot 2015-09-14 at 18.13.53.png
Neumann on osx report

Screen Shot 2015-09-14 at 18.13.58.png
Neumann on osx image

3) Hotel score X
LuxMark stops at [LuxCore] [316.243] [PathOCLBaseRenderThread::0] Compiling kernels
After waiting it crashes with http://pastebin.com/tfM2PmU3

It would be nice to know if it is just LuxMark issue or LuxRender issue in general on OSX .
Last time I used LuxRender was in year 2011, loved it, but then my life went other direction as rendering stuff :)
After hearing that 1.5 is out thought that I should revisit this. But it would be impossible, if LuxRender (LuxBlend in particular) has issues with OSX, ATI and GPU rendering.

Additionally - all scenes of LuxMark renders in the same OSX machine with CPU computing selected, only GPU fails.

Thank you!
kroko
firmitas utilitas venustas baby!
kroko

Postby jensverwiebe » Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:43 am

Hi kroko

This is not a luxrender problem but just apple/amd drivers.
What you experience is one of thr reasons i left the boat and use linux now ;)

You must wait for osx 10.11 ( or try the beta/GM ), there are fixes done to opencl.
If the fixes cover all problems is out of my knowledge as i dropped apple support in lux, you
may ask pciccone who took over my duties and afaik also checks 10.11 beta's regulary.

P.S.: Don't expect too much power from the "firepro" dxx, they are underclocked and already outdated gpu's.

Edit: to judge the gpu's right now, you can either install linux or win on your MacPro 6.1.

Jens
jensverwiebe
Developer

Postby kroko » Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:24 am

Yeah, I just made multiple cases/tests that confirms that Blender using LuxBlend crashes immediately & desperately whenever any of actual GPGPU-using engines (Path OpenCL, Biased Path OpenCL) is selected, both when using LuxCore API and Classic. Thus making it unusable. Simple as that. :)

And the D700s are here to stay at least for another half a year, it is my everyday working machine. I do have multiple MSW and Linux machines in LAN with monsta NVIDIA GPUs on them.
Currently for "more than quick preview" rendering when working on this machine I use Cycles network rendering. And on D700 machine there is CPU based Cycles quick preview and it works good/fast enough even in live viewport rendering.

I could go the same way with LuxRender (using LAN and LuxRender friendly NVIDIAs on them for more than quick preview). But here's a catch - it seems Lux cannot supply that quick preview. :( To get that "quick preview" on D700 machine using CPU Lux is too slow to be usable plus makes the machine quite unresponsive.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not comparing Cycles and Lux in terms of quality, just what currently can be done on this combination - OSX + D700s. ;)

From your answer I understand that this is a well known issue(?) Or should I submit a "support post" in User Support section? Or ask pciccone in PM? Or just better forget about using LuxRender on OSX?

Thank you!
kroko
kroko

Postby jensverwiebe » Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:14 pm

@kroko

Normally your quadcore xeon should be fine for preview as well as quick renders. There should be no lockups or significant lagging.
On my 2010 MacPro with westmere xeon 3.3 Ghz hexcore i never saw such a problem. OSX scheduling is fine so far.
Perhaps give luxcore only 7 or 6 threads ( not all 8 HT ) to leave some cpu to blender. Otherwise there might be new bugs
in osx since i last tested, who knows.

The D700 is basically a 850Mhz 7970 with 6GB, so like my former testbed on osx which never worked out in opencl regards.
As said, 10.11 El Captain may fix your problems, maybe not.

LuxRender on OSX is fine so far with native cpu rendering as well as embree boosted rendering.
In the opencl world i tested up to Nvidia Gtx 980 just fine, cpu is also fine, forget AMD gpu in all osx including Yosemite, El Captain
situation must be answered by pciccone or anyone else using the betas/GM. ( afaik 10.11 may come end of sept. )

If you have such good equipped other workhorses, why bother with osx bugs ? Just use it as a network master and let the more powerful machines do
the rendering main load.

Jens
jensverwiebe
Developer

Postby pciccone » Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:24 pm

OS X 10.11 GM is still broken, using nVidia. I cannot test with AMD as I;m in the middle of releasing Reality. I will test later but I don't expect any difference. The situation is a bit better, the microphone seen can be rendered correctly, but the hotel scene is still no go.
pciccone
Developer

Postby jensverwiebe » Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:27 pm

Thanks Paolo for clarifying ...

Jens
jensverwiebe
Developer

Postby kroko » Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:45 am

jensverwiebe wrote:Just use it as a network master and let the more powerful machines do
the rendering main load.

Yes, seems as the only possible solution if wanting to use Lux on OS X.
As a note: the other machines are all NVIDIA (Maxwell architecture). Open CL 1.2 support is out for them since April or smth and of what I've read - OpenCL is far slower on NVIDIAs than ATI.

Thanks @pciccone. 10.11 will be out on 30th of September, we'll see then.

I've got yet another GTX 980 laying around after a finished project. Just for the interest of it as it doesn't seem economically feasible at least in my situation (and this forum does not return anything in search results) - has anyone tested Thunderbolt 2 - PCIe - GPU solution for Lux? Basically any external PCIe compute GPU setup, using Thunderbolt. http://www.journaldulapin.com/2014/12/0 ... -yosemite/ I know the CPU-GPU bandwidth is the main bottleneck (Thunderbolt 2 is one channel 20 Gb/s, (the first gen was 2 channels 10 Gb/s each).

EDIT: did my part of emailing the boss https://twitter.com/WARP_LV/status/643702525938548736 as supplement for @pciccone open letter :)

Thank you!
kroko
kroko

Postby jensverwiebe » Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:14 am

@kroko
All this TB-> eGPU stuff is just fiddling atm., nothing official, not even "allowed" by intel.
I would stay away from this anyway too expensive solutions.
Most TB enclosures are also not made for feeding gpu, very well, powerwise and slotwise.

Bandwidth would be a minor problem with rendering although not optimal. This is more critical for opengl operations.

The best Mac's for CG are still the PCIe equipped Macs, see: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=3447&start=210#p114097 :lol:

Adiitionally: it looks as AMD gpu is more bang for the buck right now, but this will change if NVidia finally equals cuda/ocl performance ( which is said to happen soon )
If you observe my LuxMark benchmarks, you can see the gap closes. Personally i like NV drivers better on most systems. ( Apple special situation ).
What counts is also reliabilty and i found in between i've been better served with the more expensive NV gpu's, considering powerdraw and temperatures. ( 3 gpu in one machine )

At least compare system prizes, imho Apple is back to the situation calling way too much bucks for their "MacPro", while being inflexible and not state of tech. Design over function ftw ....

Jens
jensverwiebe
Developer

Postby Dade » Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:45 am

I'm using: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=11439

Note: it is a very hardcore solution good only for hardware geeks. It works using a PCIe bridge and it doesn't require any software driver. It based on the same idea used by NVIDIA/AMD to produce dual GPUs card.

I have tested both Windows and Linux and it works as advertised. However I haven't tried MacOS and you should assume it may not work.
Dade
Developer

PreviousNext

Return to GPU Acceleration