Rendering speed: LuxRender Vs. Cycles

Discussions related to GPU Acceleration in LuxRender

Moderators: Dade, jromang, tomb, coordinators

Re: Rendering speed: LuxRender Vs. Cycles

Postby SATtva » Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:11 am

Without additional information and a testscene, i'm afraid, no. First of all make sure you're using the very latest driver version for your GPU. Also note Nvidia drivers doesn't have support for CPU OpenCL device, so you have to install Intel OpenCL driver if you wish to use CPU along with GPU for rendering.
Linux builds packager
聞くのは一時の恥、聞かぬのは一生の恥
SATtva
Developer

Postby burnin » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:23 am

Here's also crashing with Biased Path CL. And i noticed i have no Intel drivers for CPU (intel Q9300). Been searching all over and looks like Intel has taken 'em down & newest doesn't support 'older' CPUs anymore (intel dev forum topic). :? :shock:
Somebody knows where could i obtain this runtime?
tia
burnin

Postby sharlybg » Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:20 am

The proper way to know how much luxrender can help as a good alternative from cycles is to get a true final version of Luxcore 2.0 with the lastest features (micro kernels , viewport rendering ...) and a really working Luxblend !
Cycles released change many thing in blender community (Yafaray is almost dead "so sad for a so mature and great renderer". Amd user get frustrated by the lake of support.many artist are forced to buy new Hardware from Nvidia no Matter they have the most advanced GPU from AMD). But there's an Hope with Luxcore but it'is so Long when you are looking those exciting feature :cry: . I've contacted a friend app Dev for help with luxblend he finally like to work for luxrender but have to little time to give currently. :cry: .
i7 6700k + 32 Gb DDR4 + 2X R9 390 sapphir nitro.
sharlybg

Postby Dade » Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:03 am

I have recently done some test with 3DsMax and a supposed to be state-of-the-art GPU renderer (from a company with a *cough* green *cough* logo). My conclusion was: if that is the stat-of-the-art, LuxRender (or Cycles if you prefer) is just plain awesome. I was seriously not impressed.
Dade
Developer

Postby sharlybg » Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:46 am

We only need access to the full luxcore GPU rendering potential and everyone will know the best one you are The best one behind your gold keyboard 8-) ! But cycles is not so fast people can imagine for example corona is a lot faster than cycles and it's only CPU based. I'm working for an architectural firm with a dual GTX Titan black workstation with blender and cycles, the average rendering resolution is 1920X1080 and we have to wait 3hr before the image become noise free. For artist it'is very important to have a serious good speed/quality ratio it's why we are making comparison between renderer all time. We will be Happy to test full luxcore 2.0 as soon as possible .
i7 6700k + 32 Gb DDR4 + 2X R9 390 sapphir nitro.
sharlybg

Postby AlexFreeman » Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:14 am

sharlybg wrote:
I'm an interior designer and I remain great, I'm interested if you could upload it as I learn to use LuxRender costs regarding lighting. Displaying the values ​​you've given them and the use of materials would help me understand a little more lux. If you do not mind of course!. Another query but LuxRender 2.0 hacerca know when Ships?.

I'm happy to see that some people give interest to Lux ! :) If you can be a little bit patient ! I will release a great tutorial soon about interior design and lux render GPU mod ! But if you need fast answer read this topic entierely will be a big quest with very good knowledge about tip and trick for lighting and noise reduction setting.

****** ONE THing for devs******

I've found a bug about alpha transparent material in 1.3.1 w7 64 bit Lux (it doesn't work)

Thanks looking forward for your tutorial and in the mean time i will try to read this topic entirely for answers have a good day
AlexFreeman

Postby Theogott » Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:28 am

I have found Intel OpenCL Drivers for Linux and Windows x64 here.
There is also an OpenCL SDK there.
Will see if they change something.
Theogott

Previous

Return to GPU Acceleration