What is available for GPU rendering in luxrender?

Discussions related to GPU Acceleration in LuxRender

Moderators: Dade, jromang, tomb, coordinators

Re: What is available for GPU rendering in luxrender?

Postby burnin » Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:41 am

Oh... so NVidia could support OCL 2+ by just enabling it (proper drivers) without any hardware changes!?
Am i understanding it right, if they did that, CUDA based engines would loose the advantage they have now... or are there any other, more intricate reasons not to?
burnin

Postby Dade » Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:43 am

burnin wrote:Oh... so NVidia could support OCL 2+ by just enabling it (proper drivers) without any hardware changes!?
Am i understanding it right, if they did that, CUDA based engines would loose the advantage they have now... or are there any other, more intricate reasons not to?

As far as I know NVIDIA doesn't have fully compliant OpenCL v2.0 driver available anywhere.
Dade
Developer

Postby burnin » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:35 am

Dade wrote:As far as I know NVIDIA doesn't have fully compliant OpenCL v2.0 driver available anywhere.

Yeah, am only wondering could their HW/tech 'handle' it? Are all the specs there? If anyone knows.
burnin

Postby sharlybg » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:41 am

Yeah, am only wondering could their HW/tech 'handle' it? Are all the specs there?

Yes all Nvidia hadware are able to support opencl 2.X if needed. actually the last Cuda version is very similar to what opencl 2.0 can provide.it 's more a political choice. if Nvidia go for opencl 2.X their will hardly hurt their own baby Cuda (so why their will do such move :? ).
i7 6700k + 32 Gb DDR4 + 2X R9 390 sapphir nitro.
sharlybg

Postby burnin » Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:15 pm

So customers have more options, as they start using & applying the tech... becoming satisfied users.
Creating more clients, more art, more promotion, more competition... thriving economy. In my dreams :mrgreen:
burnin

Postby HDD » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:55 pm

So, NVIDIA now has OpenCL 2.0 support, any updated plans for bidir opencl?

Seems like NVIDIA is finally updating their driver to support OpenCL 2.0.
Although the driver is early and LuxMark benchmarks shows that the OpenCL 2.0 with "evaluation support" is slower than the older 1.2 driver.
Some more info here: https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page= ... IDIA-Preps

http://www.anandtech.com/show/11180/the ... -review/14
"The OpenCL situation for NVIDIA right now is a bit weird. The company is in the middle of rolling out OpenCL 2.0 support to their video cards – something that I had actually given up hope on until it happened – and as a result their OpenCL drivers are in a state of flux as company continues to refine their updated driver. The end result is that OpenCL performance has dipped a bit compared to where the GTX 1080 launched at back in May, with said card dropping from 4138 points to 3648 points. Not that the GTX 1080 Ti is too fazed, mind you – it’s still king of the hill by a good degree – but the point is that once NVIDIA gets their drivers sorted out, there’s every reason to believe that NVIDIA can improve their OpenCL performance."

Latest NVIDIA driver here, should be 378.66 or higher: http://www.geforce.com/drivers
HDD

Postby Dade » Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:45 am

HDD wrote:So, NVIDIA now has OpenCL 2.0 support, any updated plans for bidir opencl?

As far as I know, OpenCL v2.0 support from NVIDIA is still partial and not complete.
Dade
Developer

Previous

Return to GPU Acceleration