Unofficial New Win64 2016/2017 Luxrender Builds

Weekly builds for testing and use between releases.

Moderators: Dade, coordinators

Forum rules
Please read the information / sticky post for some basic information regarding these builds/support.

Unofficial New Win64 2016/2017 Luxrender Builds

Postby kalel » Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:51 am

Hello there,

While being unofficial builds, they are all built using the cmake script from official repository, no changes made to the source code.
There seems to be a notable increase of speed in windows (which I've noticed on a luxrender classic api bidir project) over the latest daily build currently in the win repository. I've asked Jens, and this shouldn't be noticable in luxcore, only lux classic.
However, as soon as the bot resumes making new builds here (anything newer than august 2016 appears), this post will become redundant, so check that before downloading.

Just download newest version

New features list:
Check the new features here. As developers are constantly adding new features, some may not be included in this build.

- Below are the versioned download links -

February 2nd 2017 Version
Mega host, click on the right side, gray button, to start the download:
19.1 MB .7z archive

What's new from the devs?
- Added the support for save/resume rendering to PATHOCL
- Added the support for save/resume rendering to BIDIRCPU
- LuxCoreUI: added a simplified method to save/resume renderings
- Fixed film serialization on Windows
- Fixed the code computing the size of importance sampling maps (i.e. they are now 4 times smaller)
- Initial support for densitygrid textures in OpenCL render engines

November 13th Version
18.5 MB .7z archive (157 mb extracted)

What's new from the devs?

- smallluxgpu library has been split in 3 parts (posscible workaround to Windows 2GB static library limit
- Added the support for material .emission.directlightsampling.type property

And other fixes.

October 15th Version
18.1 MB .7z archive (151 mb extracted)

Installation/update process of Luxblend (blender plugin) has been simplified. You don't need to copy the files manually now, instead you can start the correct .bat file and let it copy the files for you. If you haven't used Luxblend before, you must enable "Luxrender" in Blender plugin settings.

There are two files for now:
Copy_LuxBlender_Blender_2.78.bat
Copy_LuxBlender_Blender_2.77.bat

As those two should be the currently used versions.

What they do is simply copy all of the luxblend files from the luxrender folder inside the package into the corresponding Blender plugin folder, e.g.:
"%appdata%\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.78\scripts\addons\luxrender\"

(if you know a simple way to automatically detect the current blender version from Windows and copy the files there, please let me know).

The biggest changes in this build are that the microkernel branch is now officially merged into the development version.
The microkernel branch offers some great improvements, check them out here: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13129

As usual, if anything is not working well, feel free to report the issue.

October 2nd version - biaspathocl Microkernel branch - Experimental
Not only is this branch a work in progress by the developer, but it also comes without documentation on how to use the new features and without any promises that I've done the local branch merge properly before I compiled this experimental build. Use this only if you're interested in testing, it may not work properly or work at all for you. September 30th version is based on the default branch and should be more stable for normal use.

17.9 MB .7z archive

September 30th version
19.2 MB self-extracting 7 zip archive

Installer (note, it still will not install Luxblend for you, but you will have to manually copy the luxrender folder from the installation folder into blender's appdata addons folder)

Some dev notes (from commits):
Fixed LIGHTCPU and BIDIRCPU rendering with orthographic camera
Fixed Orthographic camera PDF

This build was compiled after commenting out OpenCL 1.2 and 2.0, so hopefully it should work with OpenCL 1.1 or higher drivers, which means nvidia drivers and some older graphic card drivers as well. Feel free to let me know if it doesn't, since I don't have a good way to test that myself.

September 15th version
18.2 MB self-extracting 7 zip archive

This was built in a hurry, so hopefully I've packaged it well, if you get any issues, please revert to Sept 12 version instead.

Most notable are the addition of environment and ortho cameras / luxrender classic GUI / luxcore engine.

Dev changelog (commit log, newest on top):
Cleanup the luxcorerenderer cameras and reintroduce typecheck in case we add new cameras
removed wip-warning in luxcorerender ortho camera
Introduce luxcorerender ortho camera, not yet working correct, todo: check ortho in general
WIP: add working cameras to luxcorerenderer, done: environment, todo: ortho
Revert setting power/efficacy default other than 0.f as per Dades suggestion (Nan-checks) lights/spot.cpp lights/pointlight.cpp
Added a safety check for scenes without a camera definition

September 12th version
18.3 MB self-extracting 7 zip archive

This version is marked experimental because it contains the new environment camera support for LuxCore.
It may not work properly on all rendering engines, and not all cases of usage were tested yet. Please feel free to report any bugs if you'd like to test this feature.

September 10th version:
18.2 MB self-extracting 7 zip archive
This is not a full installer, just a packed archive instead of providing two files (one 7z and one zip for those who don't have 7zip/winrar installed).
Unpack it wherever you wish, and then as with the previous build, make sure to copy the "luxrender" folder into the appdata blend folder for addons.
If it's on a new location, make sure to go into Blender: File > User Preferences > Add-ons, find luxrender, and set the right path so blender will call the latest version.

CPU test and GPU test bat files were added. This allows you to quickly test if Luxrender works properly on your computer. It shouldn't take more than a minute or two.
Just start the desired bat file:
test_luxrender_both.bat will start both tests in parallel, so may require more resources.

At the end of the test a result image will open in your default image viewer. If you can see the image properly, then the test was successful.

These tests are set to use a minimal amount of memory on your graphic card and system, and are just meant to check that you don't have any driver problems that prevent you from using luxrender.
In real-world scenes, you may still run into limitations and crashes caused by the amount of system or graphic card memory required by the particular scene and configuration.

Dev changelogs:
- Fix mipmapimpl gamma for luxcorerenderer ies
- Added an export functionality to LuxCoreUI
- Added the code to export Material emission mapfile
- Restored the correct light source .power and .efficency for Material emission too
- Fixed a bug in OpenCL MapPointLight_Illuminate()
- Added a workaround to ImageMap::WriteImage() to avoid a bug in OpenImageIO when exporting 1 channel EXR
- Restored the correct light source .power and .efficency to not break light sources Preprocess() methods
- Ported densitygrid to api1/luxcorerenderer
- Also give light/emission power a proper default

Possibly others.

September 5th version:
Zip pack 51 MB, can be unpacked by windows
Stronger pack, requires additional program to extract, eg 7zip, faster download, 17 MB, 7z format

Notes:
- Manually copy the "Luxrender" folder (one with pyluxcore files) into:
Code: Select all
%appdata%\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.77\scripts\addons

Or equivilent folder if using different blender versions.
- luxcoreconsole.exe allows to render luxcore projects without using the luxcoreui. Usually you can just drag and drop .cfg files into luxcoreconsole.exe to start render (e.g. luxblend can make these files if you use luxcore api, external, but untick "Run LuxCoreUI", then output cfg file located on the project output folder as set by blender can be started from the console). If you cmd luxcoreconsole.exe -h you can get additional usage help.
- benchsimple.exe is a simple benchmark probably made for development testing, which I didn't remove from the release, it should be started using console to better see the output.

This build has not been tested thoroughly and may have some unknown bugs, or those already known to the developers. If reporting any bugs specifically from using this build, perhaps you can refer to this forum post.

Screenshot/video:

RTPathCPU in LuxCore UI (AMD 8 Core):
https://cdn.streamable.com/video/mp4/oh1d.mp4

RTPathCPU in Blender Viewport: (update luxblend through addon settings in Blender if not available, also this checkbox may disappear in the next versions of luxblend)
https://cdn.streamable.com/video/mp4/83tl.mp4

Image view mode in LuxCore UI: (allows you to more easily render images larger than the screen resolution). You can scroll through the image using the scrollbars. This can be slow on demanding scenes, make sure to hold the mouse button pressed until you see the image move. Write the following into custom luxcore properties in LuxBlend to start the render in this mode:
Code: Select all
screen.tool.type = IMAGE_VIEW

https://cdn.streamable.com/video/mp4/eao1.mp4
Last edited by kalel on Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:03 am, edited 68 times in total.
kalel

Re: Unofficial Win64 September Luxrender Dev build 1.7

Postby Dade » Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:12 am

Thanks Kalel
Dade
Developer

Postby kalel » Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:28 am

Dade wrote:Thanks Kalel

Quite welcome. Most people here know how to compile by themselves, but for some people like myself, having a pre-built version is a quicker and easier way.
kalel

Postby B.Y.O.B. » Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:35 am

Great work kalel, thank you.
By the way, you can also link to the new in 1.7 wiki page, which provides an (work in progress) overview of the new features.
B.Y.O.B.
Developer

Postby kalel » Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:39 am

B.Y.O.B. wrote:Great work kalel, thank you.
By the way, you can also link to the new in 1.7 wiki page, which provides an (work in progress) overview of the new features.

Thanks for the note, added.

P.S. Maybe we can temporarily add a link to the unofficial build in the wiki? Just until the build bot is back.
kalel

Postby B.Y.O.B. » Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:45 am

kalel wrote:P.S. Maybe we can temporarily add a link to the unofficial build in the wiki? Just until the build bot is back.

Sure, go ahead, you should be able to edit the page.
B.Y.O.B.
Developer

Postby acasta69 » Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:58 pm

Thanks Kalel, it's great that you made it available to everyone! :)
kalel wrote:While being an unofficial build, this one is built using the cmake script from official repository, no changes made to the source code.

Could you please share how you made this? In the "Daily builds" thread we saw that some modification was necessary, so this could be useful for the future...
Windows 10 64 bits, i7-4770 3.4 GHz, RAM 16 GB, GTX 970 4GB v376.54
acasta69

Postby burnin » Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:26 pm

Joining in thanking superman ;) for the build :D
burnin

Postby kalel » Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:38 pm

acasta69 wrote:Thanks Kalel, it's great that you made it available to everyone! :)
kalel wrote:While being an unofficial build, this one is built using the cmake script from official repository, no changes made to the source code.

Could you please share how you made this? In the "Daily builds" thread we saw that some modification was necessary, so this could be useful for the future...

It was built by modifying the bat file for cmake build to recognize cmake when not installed as path, which you helped me with (I guess another way is to install cmake as path, but by using the one from dependencies, we can be sure we are using the correct version even without making any checks). I used your bat file. I also made sure the directory structure is correct. I'm not sure that I remember any other modifications. I tried some before, but it seems that only the bat file really needed adjustments. I'm reattaching the file you sent me.

Now, I'm not sure what changes would be necessary to make a 32 bit build, but I guess that's not important at the moment.
Attachments
cmake-build-x64_deps.zip
(1.8 KiB) Downloaded 36 times
kalel

Postby acasta69 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:07 am

OK, thanks again, I just wanted to understand if you had found another way... :)
Windows 10 64 bits, i7-4770 3.4 GHz, RAM 16 GB, GTX 970 4GB v376.54
acasta69

Next

Return to Weekly Testing Builds