LuxMaya 0.6RC

Discussion related to the 'LuxMaya' exporter plugin for Autodesk Maya.

Moderators: Dade, Ratow, coordinators

Re: LuxMaya 0.6RC

Postby Vyache » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:01 am

How do I actually install this thing ?

It asks me to find the location of Lux Render.

When installing Lux Render it asks for blender.

Confused...
Vyache

Postby Loulu79 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:22 pm

Hi Everyone,

I'm a very new member and finally have been able to download and install LuxRender. Now me as a green-thumb... just realized I can't open any Maya file because the next and last step needs to be done: LuxMaya. I'm a Mac user and I'd LOVE to get my hands dirty with this beauty. Please let us Maya users know when the exporter for Mac is readily available. Thanks so much for your love for this work. Means much.

Lou Ann
Saint Lucia, Caribbean
Loulu79

Postby Vyache » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:56 am

I got it to work in Maya 2010 on Windows 7
I will be using the F:\ Drive as an example. You can do w/e drive...
A few things:

Download and install 8.5 64 or reguler 8.5
Make sure luxrender is installed as well, which is found on this website.

Next you must reconnect the path to the plug-ins by doing the following:
first take a look at your folder: F:\Users\user-name\Documents\maya\2010-x64 (windows 7) and

compare it too the installed package: 8.5-x64 (also in same folder).

Copy the following files from the downloaded package over to your maya folder: relative path->..\maya\2010-x64\scripts and presets
attrPresets (presets folder) and LuxMaya (scripts folder)
Basically the 2010-x64 folder mirrors the one you downloaded with the luxrender package. You just have to add the new files into the old one.

After that, just open the file called Maya.EVN (Same folder: F:\Users\user-name\Documents\maya\2010-x64) YOU WONT SEE EVN (extension), but if u hover u might.

OPEN IT WITH TEXT EDITOR, LIKE NOTEPAD ++

Then change the location of each path(YOU HAVE TO ADD THESE IN YOURSELF, as they wont be there by default):

MIND THE USERNAME: fill in your username :D
Also, make sure your path is right to Luxrender, it might not be the same as mine, since your system might be configured differently.

Code: Select all
MAYA_SCRIPT_PATH = F:\Users\user-name\Documents\maya\2010-x64\scripts\LuxMaya;F:\Users\user-name\Documents\maya\2010-x64\scripts\LuxMaya;F:\Users\user-name\Documents\maya\2010-x64\scripts\LuxMaya

XBMLANGPATH = F:\Users\user-name\Documents\maya\2010-x64\scripts\LuxMaya\icons;F:\Users\Vyacheslav\Documents\maya\2010-x64\scripts\LuxMaya\icons;F:\Users\user-name\Documents\maya\2010-x64\scripts\LuxMaya\icons

LUX_SEARCHPATH = E:\Program Files (x86)\LuxRender

MAKE SURE THAT ALL YOUR LOCATIONS ABOVE ARE CORRECT! LuxRender is a separate install.

Next, boot up the Maya App and go to the menu WINDOW -> Settings and Preferences -> Plug-in Manager.
THERE you will locate the file called luxPlugin.py which is located in: F:\Users\user-name\Documents\maya\2010-x64\scripts\LuxMaya\luxPlugin USING the BROWSE BUTTON. THEN CHECK THE BOX LOAD.

THERE IS A BUG. THE thing doesn't autoload yet. I haven't figured why yet. It must be an startup config. So you have to go to window and pref and settings each time you load maya till somebody figures how to fix it.

After you've done all of that a new menu should appear (CALLED Lux), MAKE SURE YOUR UNDER RENDER and not surfaces under the drop down.

When you look at your shaders, you should have new ones, but if this worked right they would be on your shelves too...

Thats all.
Vyee :D
Vyache

Postby fredrik » Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:43 pm

I'm on Mac OS X Lion (10.7.1) with Maya 2012 and every time I hit export I get this:
# Error: TypeError: in method 'new_MScriptUtil', argument 1 of type 'bool' #

No files are being exported.
Anyone know what this might be about?

The Lux menu is visible and I create PLY Object locators, Env light and Sun + Sky. But then I just can't get the export to work :(
fredrik

Postby J the Ninja » Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:14 pm

LuxMaya hasn't had anyone working on it in several years, the odds of it working right with Maya 2012 or Lux 0.8 are rather slim. There's a reason it isn't listed on the homepage.
-Jason Stuff
J the Ninja
Developer

Postby Vyache » Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:08 pm

J the Ninja wrote:LuxMaya hasn't had anyone working on it in several years, the odds of it working right with Maya 2012 or Lux 0.8 are rather slim. There's a reason it isn't listed on the homepage.

Yep, I would try a earlier version or try out Blender. Its Free!
Vyache

LuxMaya for Mac OS

Postby fincen » Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:16 am

Hello..
Whether there luxmaya for mac os? I've been looking but have not been able to get it, anyone can help me? thank you..
fincen

Postby jeanphi » Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:48 pm

Hi,

Unfortunately, we've not heard from anybody working on an exporter for Maya recently. The latest news we had were there: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=9378 but it's already 2 years ago, I'm not sure this is still relevant.

Jeanphi
jeanphi
Developer

Previous

Return to LuxMaya (Autodesk Maya Exporter)