Luxrender curb appeal

Discussion related to the Website functionality, user accounts and graphic design.

Moderators: Dade, coordinators

Re: Luxrender curb appeal

Postby Rhys » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:03 pm

lrgle wrote:functionality is more important than curb appeal.

Are you talking about functionality in the LuxRender app or functionality of the website?

If the former, I am not a developer of LuxRender so this does not take dev time from making LuxRender features.
For the latter, well basically website functionality is part of curb appeal anyway, it's all about accessibility and image to outsiders.
Rhys

Postby Rhys » Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:10 am

Hey guys, apologies for the long AWOL, life took some turns.

I'm back to working on this now, I'm a bit rusty though but getting back into the swing of it. I have some ideas and really want to see this through and see a new home site for Luxrender. :)
Rhys

Postby jeanphi » Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:12 am

Hi,

Welcome back, great to here some news from you. I'll try to look into preparing the base infrastructure on the server to be able to host the new site.

Jeanphi
jeanphi
Developer

Postby B.Y.O.B. » Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:04 am

Great, welcome back Rhys :)
The site redesign will be much appreciated.
B.Y.O.B.
Developer

Postby zsolnai » Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:56 am

Excellent, can't wait Rhys! :)
zsolnai
Developer

Postby SATtva » Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:57 am

Good to have you back Rhys. :)
Linux builds packager
聞くのは一時の恥、聞かぬのは一生の恥
SATtva
Developer

Postby Rhys » Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:35 pm

Cheers guys

jeanphi wrote:Hi,

Welcome back, great to here some news from you. I'll try to look into preparing the base infrastructure on the server to be able to host the new site.

Jeanphi

I suppose eventually we'd need a wordpress installation in some kind of semi permanent non public staging area on the server.
There is no rush however, I'm happy using my own server to develop on and make a mess with rubbish content. Eventually to move to a staging area on the luxrender server to test in that environment and those who are interested can help migrating some content etc before sending to the live site. But for the moment still in theme/plugin development stage.

I have decided being the amateur that I am and the small team we have - plans of user content on the wordpress site will be removed and that any user content will only be possible on the forum (such as comments or galleries). This removes the troubles of bridging users and associated maintenance/moderation. In time we can improve the forum with new theme and things like thread thumbnails etc to help support this sort of content to a better effect.
In effect the wordpress installation will standalone and contain only content curated by Luxrender team.

The intent is that the new part of the website will perform the following content to a high standard;
-homepage
-about (license, features, history, etc)
-news
-downloads and associated release notes
-curated gallery
-user orientated documentation/tutorials/instructions
-links to other luxrender centres (forum, source, developer wiki, bug tracker etc)
Rhys

Postby Piita » Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:02 pm

Welcome back, Rhys!
The new website sounds excellent.
Piita

Postby jeanphi » Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:24 am

Hi,

Do any of you have experience with the mediawiki, gallery2 and phpbb to wordpress converters? I really think that porting the whole bunch of data to wordpress would be nice to have the same user experience all over the site.

Jeanphi
jeanphi
Developer

Postby Abel » Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:13 am

jeanphi wrote:Do any of you have experience with the mediawiki, gallery2 and phpbb to wordpress converters? I really think that porting the whole bunch of data to wordpress would be nice to have the same user experience all over the site.

I have no experience there but do very much agree that having everything in a consistent layout would be very nice. But would that mean keeping the wiki and somehow synchronising it regularly, or would users be allowed to modify parts of the Wordpress site?
Abel
Developer

PreviousNext

Return to Website & Graphic design