Badges

Discussion related to the Website functionality, user accounts and graphic design.

Moderators: Dade, coordinators

Re: Badges

Postby Carbonflux » Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:14 am

heh, the comic one is fun, tho I perhaps a bit large. I did not mean to undervalue your ideas btw patro :) - its all good work.
www.carbonflux.org - photographing the imagination.
Carbonflux
Developer

Postby patro » Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:25 am

Abel wrote:I disagree with the whole "let's combine two separate designs, hoping that it will result in something better" approach. OmegaX showed some design on irc that consisted of his original design blended with a rectangular background image, but everybody agreed that it was not improving things. And I don't even understand what the benefits of Patro's new proposal would be, except for getting a result that has artistic input from both people involved.

Often I get the idea that blending ideas is suggested as nobody wants to insult anybody by stating a preference of one design over another, but the process is always cumbersome whereas the results is rarely as strong as one of the original designs. Therefore I propose to set a date until which designs can be proposed, then have a quick vote about them using the forum polling system.

I totally disagree with you!
* de gustibus non est disputandum * you are not alone.

personally I don't like the badges from Omega... cause I hate the sun shape used for... but not the concept.... and I have no problem if they will used for.
patro

Postby patro » Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:27 am

Carbonflux wrote:heh, the comic one is fun, tho I perhaps a bit large. I did not mean to undervalue your ideas btw patro :) - its all good work.

I think such a concept is nice... but it need a custom designed figure in winner pose!
patro

Postby jeanphi » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:37 am

Hi,

I personally like the sun shape from OmegaX, and patro's blend proposal gave me an idea. In the blend from patro, I find the background ribbon too involved, however the dark grey nicely emphasizes the medallion, so it might perhaps be nice with a simple dark grey background (plain color or simple gradient), maybe with 1st, 2nd, 3rd or something like that engraved in it (no need to add another gold/silver/bronze symbol in my opinion).
I agree too with the comment that the LuxRender logo could be more prominent in the medalion.

Great work everybody anyway, the above is just meant to be food for thoughts.

Jeanphi
jeanphi
Developer

Postby OmegaX » Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:00 pm

jeanphi wrote:Hi,

I personally like the sun shape from OmegaX, and patro's blend proposal gave me an idea. In the blend from patro, I find the background ribbon too involved, however the dark grey nicely emphasizes the medallion, so it might perhaps be nice with a simple dark grey background (plain color or simple gradient), maybe with 1st, 2nd, 3rd or something like that engraved in it (no need to add another gold/silver/bronze symbol in my opinion).
I agree too with the comment that the LuxRender logo could be more prominent in the medalion.

Great work everybody anyway, the above is just meant to be food for thoughts.

Jeanphi

ImageImageImage

Here's a larger more pronounced logo, I'll make some concepts with text and backdrops.
OmegaX

Postby OmegaX » Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:37 pm

ImageImageImage
Here's a quick mockup of a tagged award design, as with the others opinions always welcome. :)
OmegaX

Postby A-man » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:32 pm

Omega, those look excellent, however, even though you are using the standard 'luxrender font', I still think the 2 and the 3 look strange being kinda half cutoff.. Thats just my opinion.
i7 3770k 3.5 GHz | 16 GB RAM | Radeon 7970 3GB
A-man

Postby OmegaX » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:11 am

A-man wrote:Omega, those look excellent, however, even though you are using the standard 'luxrender font', I still think the 2 and the 3 look strange being kinda half cutoff.. Thats just my opinion.

Yeah I feel the same way about it but I wanted to have the text there for the mock-up, it definitely needs some work to get the text to look right and I'll continue to work on it. :)
OmegaX

Postby patro » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:14 pm

just for fun... tryied other 2 different types "Medal of Valor" and "rosette"
only gold and in Luxrender forum color style... orange :lol:
moure1.png

moure2.png

it would be nice if the badges or what ever is it could overlap the avatar
patro

Postby Poncho » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:02 pm

Hi,