A scalability test up to 24 threads

Discussion related to the organization of the source code, repository and code-level/compiler optimization.

Moderators: Dade, coordinators

Re: A scalability test up to 24 threads

Postby spectral fusion » Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:31 pm

wow this is bad, thats why im getting so slow network renders ?
spectral fusion

Postby psor » Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:54 pm

Nope it's not. :P ;)

take care
psor
"The sleeper must awaken"
psor

Postby Lord Crc » Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:26 am

spectral fusion wrote:wow this is bad, thats why im getting so slow network renders ?

This has to do with how well LuxRender scales when running as a single process on a single machine.
May contain traces of nuts.
Lord Crc
Developer

Postby spectral fusion » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:43 pm

Lord Crc wrote:
spectral fusion wrote:wow this is bad, thats why im getting so slow network renders ?

This has to do with how well LuxRender scales when running as a single process on a single machine.

But even if we suppose im wrong, buying a core i7 or core i9 and getting 40-60% performance loss is not so good ?
spectral fusion

Postby Lord Crc » Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:32 pm

We're well aware of the issue and it's something we're actively trying to solve. This piece of code is very tricky to get fast on all platforms while working correctly.

In the meantime, if you have the memory, use the work-around mentioned earlier in the thread.
May contain traces of nuts.
Lord Crc
Developer

Postby spectral fusion » Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:04 pm

Thank you that is awesome 8-)
spectral fusion

Postby Synthercat » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:55 pm

Lord Crc wrote:We're well aware of the issue and it's something we're actively trying to solve. This piece of code is very tricky to get fast on all platforms while working correctly.

In the meantime, if you have the memory, use the work-around mentioned earlier in the thread.

So in a 4 threaded CPU do you recommend we run 4 instances of lux at the same time? Using 1 thread each? Can this be done?

BTW : Great thread Dade. Thanks!
Perception is the most important virtue .-
Synthercat

Postby Dade » Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:20 am

Synthercat wrote:So in a 4 threaded CPU do you recommend we run 4 instances of lux at the same time? Using 1 thread each? Can this be done?

Not really, the results show you should start to have some small problem over 7-8 threads and some serious problem over 15-16. Only if you have more than 8 cores you should start to run multiple instances of Luxrender instead of single one.

For 4 threaded CPU, a single instance is faster (i.e. less memory used, less memory bandwidth used, more cache coherency, no network rendering overhead, etc.).
Dade
Developer

Postby blood » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:24 am

Reading this with interest, I have a 6 core i7 with 12 threads. Wonder if two instances would work better for me? Whats the best way to go about running two instances of LUX on the same machine?.
DAZ noobie with a big heart.

Reailty 2.5, LUXUS - lux v1.2.1
blood

Postby Dade » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:46 am

blood wrote:Reading this with interest, I have a 6 core i7 with 12 threads. Wonder if two instances would work better for me? Whats the best way to go about running two instances of LUX on the same machine?.

The results of this test are really old, there have been a lot of improvements in this area. I have 6 cores + hyperthreading CPU too and LuxRender doesn't seem to have any scalability problem to run with 12 threads.

Anyway, the best way to run 2 instances on the same machine is just to use a luxconsole + luxrender (connected with network rendering) with half of the threads available for each instance.
Dade
Developer

PreviousNext

Return to Organization & Optimization