A scalability test up to 24 threads

Discussion related to the organization of the source code, repository and code-level/compiler optimization.

Moderators: Dade, coordinators

Re: A scalability test up to 24 threads

Postby spectral fusion » Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:31 pm

wow this is bad, thats why im getting so slow network renders ?
spectral fusion
 
Posts: 458
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:27 am

Re: A scalability test up to 24 threads

Postby psor » Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:54 pm

Nope it's not. :P ;)



take care
psor
"The sleeper must awaken"
User avatar
psor
 
Posts: 295
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:16 pm
Location: Berlin, GER

Re: A scalability test up to 24 threads

Postby Lord Crc » Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:26 am

spectral fusion wrote:wow this is bad, thats why im getting so slow network renders ?


This has to do with how well LuxRender scales when running as a single process on a single machine.
May contain traces of nuts.
User avatar
Lord Crc
Developer
 
Posts: 5032
Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2007 2:10 pm

Re: A scalability test up to 24 threads

Postby spectral fusion » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:43 pm

Lord Crc wrote:
spectral fusion wrote:wow this is bad, thats why im getting so slow network renders ?


This has to do with how well LuxRender scales when running as a single process on a single machine.


But even if we suppose im wrong, buying a core i7 or core i9 and getting 40-60% performance loss is not so good ?
spectral fusion
 
Posts: 458
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:27 am

Re: A scalability test up to 24 threads

Postby Lord Crc » Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:32 pm

We're well aware of the issue and it's something we're actively trying to solve. This piece of code is very tricky to get fast on all platforms while working correctly.

In the meantime, if you have the memory, use the work-around mentioned earlier in the thread.
May contain traces of nuts.
User avatar
Lord Crc
Developer
 
Posts: 5032
Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2007 2:10 pm

Re: A scalability test up to 24 threads

Postby spectral fusion » Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:04 pm

Thank you that is awesome 8-)
spectral fusion
 
Posts: 458
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:27 am

Re: A scalability test up to 24 threads

Postby Synthercat » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:55 pm

Lord Crc wrote:We're well aware of the issue and it's something we're actively trying to solve. This piece of code is very tricky to get fast on all platforms while working correctly.

In the meantime, if you have the memory, use the work-around mentioned earlier in the thread.


So in a 4 threaded CPU do you recommend we run 4 instances of lux at the same time? Using 1 thread each? Can this be done?

BTW : Great thread Dade. Thanks!
Perception is the most important virtue .-
User avatar
Synthercat
 
Posts: 139
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:06 am
Location: Thessaloniki Greece

Re: A scalability test up to 24 threads

Postby Dade » Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:20 am

Synthercat wrote:So in a 4 threaded CPU do you recommend we run 4 instances of lux at the same time? Using 1 thread each? Can this be done?


Not really, the results show you should start to have some small problem over 7-8 threads and some serious problem over 15-16. Only if you have more than 8 cores you should start to run multiple instances of Luxrender instead of single one.

For 4 threaded CPU, a single instance is faster (i.e. less memory used, less memory bandwidth used, more cache coherency, no network rendering overhead, etc.).
User avatar
Dade
Developer
 
Posts: 8404
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2008 6:04 pm
Location: Italy

Re: A scalability test up to 24 threads

Postby blood » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:24 am

Reading this with interest, I have a 6 core i7 with 12 threads. Wonder if two instances would work better for me? Whats the best way to go about running two instances of LUX on the same machine?.
DAZ noobie with a big heart.

Reailty 2.5, LUXUS - lux v1.2.1
blood
 
Posts: 44
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:43 am
Location: England/UK.

Re: A scalability test up to 24 threads

Postby Dade » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:46 am

blood wrote:Reading this with interest, I have a 6 core i7 with 12 threads. Wonder if two instances would work better for me? Whats the best way to go about running two instances of LUX on the same machine?.


The results of this test are really old, there have been a lot of improvements in this area. I have 6 cores + hyperthreading CPU too and LuxRender doesn't seem to have any scalability problem to run with 12 threads.

Anyway, the best way to run 2 instances on the same machine is just to use a luxconsole + luxrender (connected with network rendering) with half of the threads available for each instance.
User avatar
Dade
Developer
 
Posts: 8404
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2008 6:04 pm
Location: Italy

PreviousNext

Return to Organization & Optimization

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest