Problem with Lightgroups (Bug?)

Please use this forum for general user support and related questions.

Moderators: Dade, coordinators

Forum rules
Please include your operating system type/version, LuxRender version and Exporter version used when submitting a support post.

Make sure you have read the Release forum thread for Release and RC (Release Candidates) builds as these threads contain information on known problems and workarounds: Test Builds Forum

Problem with Lightgroups (Bug?)

Postby B.Y.O.B. » Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:09 pm

Hi,

I have a problem concerning lightgroups and BiasedPathOpenCL.
Scene is attached.
Two of my lights seem to be in the wrong lightgroup (in LuxGUI): "blood_reflection" and "rim_2" both seem to be in the group "rim", although they are correctly assigned in Blender.

When rendering with Bidirectional this problem does not occur - is it a bug in BiasedPathOpenCL or did I misconfigure something?
Attachments
helmet_17_lg_problem.blend
(133.48 KiB) Downloaded 31 times
B.Y.O.B.
Developer

Re: Problem with Lightgroups (Bug?)

Postby B.Y.O.B. » Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:49 am

I was able to recreate this in a completely new testscene: when adding more than about 5 lightgroups, Lux (or BiasedPathOpenCL) starts to assign several lights to other lightgroups.

Fig. 1: all lightgroups enabled
03_all_groups_on_converted.jpg

Fig. 2: Bidirectional, group 1 switched off, desired behaviour (only red light to the left is affected)
02_bidir_group1_off_converted.jpg

Fig. 3: BiasedPathOpenCL, group 1 switched off - and it affects lights 1, 2 and 3.
01_biasedPathOCL_group1_off_converted.jpg
Attachments
testscene_01.blend
(84.45 KiB) Downloaded 33 times
B.Y.O.B.
Developer

Postby Dade » Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:15 am

B.Y.O.B. wrote:I was able to recreate this in a completely new testscene: when adding more than about 5 lightgroups, Lux (or BiasedPathOpenCL) starts to assign several lights to other lightgroups.

PATHOCL and BIASPATHOCL have a limit of up to 8 light groups supported (PARAM_FILM_RADIANCE_GROUP_0 to PARAM_FILM_RADIANCE_GROUP_7): https://bitbucket.org/luxrender/luxrays ... ult#cl-376

CPU versions don't have such a limit.

However, your scene seems to have exactly 8 light groups so I'm going to check what is going wrong.
Dade
Developer

Postby B.Y.O.B. » Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:42 am

Dade wrote:However, your scene seems to have exactly 8 light groups so I'm going to check what is going wrong.

Thanks.

Btw. why is there a lightgroup with no name and the group "Default" which contain no lights, since there are no lights without lightgroups assigned? I guess this is a problem in LuxBlend.
B.Y.O.B.
Developer

Postby jensverwiebe » Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:00 am

Btw. why is there a lightgroup with no name and the group "Default" which contain no lights, since there are no lights without lightgroups assigned? I guess this is a problem in LuxBlend.

Thats due you forgot to set lg 2 for plane 002, so the unnamed "" gets a default. Still could be maged better in luxblend perhaps.

Jens
jensverwiebe
Developer

Postby B.Y.O.B. » Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:04 am

jensverwiebe wrote:Thats due you forgot to set lg 2 for plane 002, so the unnamed "" gets a default.

Alright, but I thought lights with no light group would be in the "Default" group?
B.Y.O.B.
Developer

Postby jensverwiebe » Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:07 am

Thats the export bug i meant, the other seems somewhere lighgroupsID muddle in luxcore.

Jens
jensverwiebe
Developer

Postby Dade » Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:26 am

Dade wrote:However, your scene seems to have exactly 8 light groups so I'm going to check what is going wrong.

I should have fixed the problem, damn typos and they also spread with cut&paste like a virus: https://bitbucket.org/luxrender/luxrays ... 857c8180c6

Only light groups between 0-3 can be used in v1.4rc1, the others are bugged and may cause a crash.
Dade
Developer

Postby B.Y.O.B. » Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:36 am

Thanks for the fast fix :)
B.Y.O.B.
Developer

Postby marc.au » Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:13 am

Super,
thanks to B.Y.O.B for detecting the bug and thanks to Dade to solve it so quickly
marc.au

Return to LuxRender User Support