"The Door" settings for light rays?

Please use this forum for general user support and related questions.

Moderators: Dade, coordinators

Forum rules
Please include your operating system type/version, LuxRender version and Exporter version used when submitting a support post.

Make sure you have read the Release forum thread for Release and RC (Release Candidates) builds as these threads contain information on known problems and workarounds: Test Builds Forum

"The Door" settings for light rays?

Postby goblynn93 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:14 pm

I have been using Blender a long time and finally found a need for incredibly better light handling. LuxRender to the rescue! So far its been amazing.

I downloaded several of the example projects from the wiki page including Door and Spheres and I am trying to recreate the looks as best I can.

I've figured out how to use RenderVolumes to add the scatter I need for the light rays to show up but I am struggling with the over-all look.

Even playing with the Absorption and Scatter settings I seem to have way too much light in the scene...

Is there a good tutorial on working with this stuff? The only one I've found is a text blog and its very confusing... It talks about Air and DustyAir but doesn't get into any real detail on how to actually use it. Trial and Error are why I am able to do anything at all...

Ideally if I could find out the settings that were used to get the light rays in Spheres or Door I could tweak from there and figure it out but I'm not sure if I can learn that information from the lux file. ?

Thanks for any help!
goblynn93

Re: "The Door" settings for light rays?

Postby B.Y.O.B. » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:38 pm

If you want fog or dusty air, use a very small scattering scale.
Something like 0.1, 0.01, 0.001
Set the scattering color to white.

If you show a render and upload the .blend file I could help better.

goblynn93 wrote:Ideally if I could find out the settings that were used to get the light rays in Spheres or Door I could tweak from there and figure it out but I'm not sure if I can learn that information from the lux file. ?

Unfortunately only a few of the example scenes contain a .blend file.
You could open the .lxs/.lxm/etc. files in a text editor and do a full-text search for stuff like "homogeneous" or "scatter", but that can get frustrating.

by the way there is a re-boot going on: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=13485
So if you want to test the latest stuff (new Blender addon), tell us.
B.Y.O.B.
Developer

Postby goblynn93 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:03 pm

The reboot sounds awesome! I am not sure I'd be much help in testing unless you really need more people... my 3d skills are amateur/intermediate at best.

The .blend files would be ideal but I guess its too much to hope for!

I'll try out lowering the scatter per your suggestions and see what happens... I think I need to change one thing at a time so I am not cancelling out any good changes I've made.

I'll post a pic and a project if I am still having issues.

My first Lux render was a Suzanne head of glass and the caustics created from the light passing through immediately had me hooked on Lux.

Sad to hear things faltered for a bit, but very excited to hear about the reboot at the same time. That's an "oh, no!!! oh, thank goodness" all at once!

Thanks for the tips... Trial and Error will eventually win for me but with the render times I like to try and find as many hints as possible to reduce the amount of tests I need to grab a look close to what I want.
goblynn93

Postby B.Y.O.B. » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:08 am

goblynn93 wrote: I am not sure I'd be much help in testing unless you really need more people... my 3d skills are amateur/intermediate at best.

That's not a problem. Beginners sometimes uncover different bugs than professionals. Or you might stumble about an overly complicated tooltip where the explanation can be improved.
You could also tell us which concepts of Lux are hardest to understand so we can make tutorials/wiki pages focused on those (e.g. SSS could use such a page as it is done a bit different in Lux than in most other renderers).

The question is: do you want to try the cool new stuff, even though it is a little buggy/unstable?
B.Y.O.B.
Developer

Return to LuxRender User Support