Cornell Box

Our forum gallery for displaying your finished renders.

Moderators: Dade, coordinators

Forum rules
Don't forget to upload your finished work to our gallery too.
http://www.luxrender.net/gallery

Re: Cornell Box

Postby slime » Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:59 pm

I know A man knows how to use the glass2 material correctly because he did it with the fully submerged glass spheres, but I wanted to do one of those crude MS paint drawings

Please note the lack of air gap between the glass and water
slime

Postby A-man » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:46 pm

I don't think I do know how to use glass2. This has been a huge learning experience for me in terms of proper material usage. I had a thread in the core engine forum with an idea to simplify the interacions between distinct mediums, and I believe there is a task in Mantis for it, but I don't know if there are any plans for it in the immediate future.
i7 3770k 3.5 GHz | 16 GB RAM | Radeon 7970 3GB
A-man

Postby Meelis » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:28 am

I'm still confused how the interface would work if you have on one side of the interface rough glass,
and on another side maybe glass2 with texture.
Meelis

Postby slime » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:49 am

The way I understand it the interface works out the difference between the IORs of the interior and exterior volumes

Here have another drawing, i highlighted the interfaces with red lines

About having an interface between glass2 and rough glass, I don't think that is what glass2 is meant for. You can work out the difference between IORs by hand if you want to use other glass materials
Last edited by slime on Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:59 pm, edited 4 times in total.
slime

Postby Meelis » Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:39 am

But the surface characteristics.

I have juice in glass.
1) Light comes from juice and hits glass2 surface and reflects and refracts from surface correct way like glass2 instructs it
2) Light comes from glass2 to rough glass surface and reflects and refracts different way.

With 1 interface there is only Volume info.
Or can LuxRender automatically find correct surface material for one side and for another side?
Meelis

Postby jeanphi » Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:59 am

Hi,

A surface can't be smooth on one side and rough on the other, so if you have for example a liquid (smooth surface) inside a rough glass, the interface between the liquid and the glass will have to be defined as rough. The interior/exterior properties can be attached to any material.

Jeanphi
jeanphi
Developer

Postby hoodedmanwithsythe » Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:26 am

slime wrote:The way I understand it the interface works out the difference between the IORs of the interior and exterior volumes

Here have another drawing, i highlighted the interfaces with red lines

About having an interface between glass2 and rough glass, I don't think that is what glass2 is meant for. You can work out the difference between IORs by hand if you want to use other glass materials

Your numbers are slightly out IOR's start at 1 not 0
Timothy Armstrong,
-----------------
Entrepreneurial Philanthropist
hoodedmanwithsythe
FOSS Hippy

Postby Meelis » Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:39 am

jeanphi wrote:Hi,

A surface can't be smooth on one side and rough on the other, so if you have for example a liquid (smooth surface) inside a rough glass, the interface between the liquid and the glass will have to be defined as rough. The interior/exterior properties can be attached to any material.

Jeanphi

Hi

Okay, thx
Meelis

Previous

Return to Finished Work