Cornell Box

Our forum gallery for displaying your finished renders.

Moderators: Dade, coordinators

Forum rules
Don't forget to upload your finished work to our gallery too.
http://www.luxrender.net/gallery

Re: Cornell Box

Postby Meelis » Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:38 am

Hi

When someone would make holes in water surface using boolean then also (fix me here if i'm wrong)
but we need to extrude from hole edges to bottom and make water mesh solid, or not?

When we have very complex shape there where now the cubes are, it would be extreamly complesx to achieve.
User avatar
Meelis
 
Posts: 1007
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:16 am

Re: Cornell Box

Postby neo2068 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:05 am

Meelis wrote:Hi

When someone would make holes in water surface using boolean then also (fix me here if i'm wrong)
but we need to extrude from hole edges to bottom and make water mesh solid, or not?

That is not nessessary. You only have to model the interfaces, i.e. water/air, water/glass, glass/air. The interfaces water/glass and glass/air are modeled with the box geometry.

Meelis wrote:When we have very complex shape there where now the cubes are, it would be extreamly complesx to achieve.

Because of that I first applied the boolean modifier to a simple plane and after that I subdivided the mesh and applied the displace modifier.
i7 5820K, 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA Geforce GTX 780 + GTX 560, Windows 10 64bit, Blender 2.77a
neo2068
Developer
 
Posts: 739
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 2:11 am
Location: Germany

Re: Cornell Box

Postby Meelis » Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:49 am

neo2068 wrote:That is not nessessary. You only have to model the interfaces, i.e. water/air, water/glass, glass/air. The interfaces water/glass and glass/air are modeled with the box geometry.



But how does red light ray know it's in water or has been in meanwhile?

Image
User avatar
Meelis
 
Posts: 1007
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:16 am

Re: Cornell Box

Postby neo2068 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:22 am

Meelis wrote:
neo2068 wrote:That is not nessessary. You only have to model the interfaces, i.e. water/air, water/glass, glass/air. The interfaces water/glass and glass/air are modeled with the box geometry.



But how does red light ray know it's in water or has been in meanwhile?

That's right. I only addressed the issue of the dotted red water surface inside the green object. That has to be removed. The other problem is to correctly assign the interfaces. You have to split the green object, i.e. the glass box, into 2 materials. One for the glass/air interface and another for the glass/water interface.
i7 5820K, 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA Geforce GTX 780 + GTX 560, Windows 10 64bit, Blender 2.77a
neo2068
Developer
 
Posts: 739
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 2:11 am
Location: Germany

Re: Cornell Box

Postby Meelis » Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:36 am

neo2068 wrote:That's right. I only addressed the issue of the dotted red water surface inside the green object. That has to be removed. The other problem is to correctly assign the interfaces. You have to split the green object, i.e. the glass box, into 2 materials. One for the glass/air interface and another for the glass/water interface.


Seems logicall.

That took me to think about situation with instanced volumes (water drops for example on surface), but they are on foggy environment, that would also render incorrect,
unless i set water drops exterior to fog (world 2). I have to look some of my older stuff, maybe something renders better if i set stuff up correct way :oops: :D
User avatar
Meelis
 
Posts: 1007
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:16 am

Re: Cornell Box

Postby slime » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:09 am

I thought that was what the glass2 material was meant for, volumes and automatically working out the different between the external and internal IOR. On the glass balls that are fully submerged there is a glass - water interface, so the cubes need to be split along where the water reaches and given two materials.

Neo can the boolean thing do this? Split the cube to where it's above water and below water
slime
 
Posts: 45
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:28 pm

Re: Cornell Box

Postby Meelis » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:36 am

slime wrote:Neo can the boolean thing do this? Split the cube to where it's above water and below water

Yes

Correct is that way:
Image
User avatar
Meelis
 
Posts: 1007
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:16 am

Re: Cornell Box

Postby neo2068 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:05 am

Your sketch implies that there are two surfaces on the water and glass border. Actually, there only has to be only one surface, the glass/water interface. There has been other threads that discussed this matter:
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=3767&p=36463&hilit=water+glass+interface#p36420
or
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1645&p=26225&hilit=water+glass+interface#p14844
i7 5820K, 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA Geforce GTX 780 + GTX 560, Windows 10 64bit, Blender 2.77a
neo2068
Developer
 
Posts: 739
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 2:11 am
Location: Germany

Re: Cornell Box

Postby Meelis » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:24 pm

neo2068 wrote:Your sketch implies that there are two surfaces on the water and glass border. Actually, there only has to be only one surface, the glass/water interface. There has been other threads that discussed this matter:
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=3767&p=36463&hilit=water+glass+interface#p36420
or
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1645&p=26225&hilit=water+glass+interface#p14844


Oo yes this method looks quite good.
User avatar
Meelis
 
Posts: 1007
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:16 am

Re: Cornell Box

Postby hoodedmanwithsythe » Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:49 am

Meelis wrote:
slime wrote:Neo can the boolean thing do this? Split the cube to where it's above water and below water

Yes

Correct is that way:
Image


This would be true for a 100% hydrophobic material but nothing else.
Timothy Armstrong,
-----------------
Entrepreneurial Philanthropist
User avatar
hoodedmanwithsythe
FOSS Hippy
 
Posts: 273
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:05 pm
Location: Rotterdam

PreviousNext

Return to Finished Work

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron