Cornell Box

Our forum gallery for displaying your finished renders.

Moderators: Dade, coordinators

Forum rules
Don't forget to upload your finished work to our gallery too.
http://www.luxrender.net/gallery

Re: Cornell Box

Postby slime » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:59 pm

Neo changed the eye depth and light depth from 48 to 16, and he changed the large mutation probability and max consecutive rejections.

He also used a different kind of area light i think

Do FLMs still merge after the sampler settings have been changed?

You should play with the metropolis settings to see if you can get the speed up, then we could just resume the FLMs we've already done using the updated lxs file
slime

Postby neo2068 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:43 pm

A-man wrote:Yes I am still rendering mine @ 2560x2560. I'm interested to know if anyone can find a good reason for the speed and convergence differences.

I think the reason is the bad geometry with overlapping objects, i.e. walls and dust object. I cleaned up the geometry and I added a portal for the window. The render settings should be the same.
Attachments
cornell-box.blend
(3.02 MiB) Downloaded 41 times
i7 5820K, 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA Geforce GTX 780 + GTX 560, Windows 10 64bit, Blender 2.77a
neo2068
Developer

Postby slime » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:35 pm

Your improved scene is the same speed with the official luxrender and the modified one, but when rendering at 2560 x 2560 the improved scene only goes faster by one or two ks/s compared to the original using lordCrcs modified luxrender.

The ball glass texture is also slightly different for some reason, so if i continued the original FLM with the new lxs there would be different coloured speckles all over the place

I'll carry on rendering the original at 2560 x 2560 and we can stick them together when there's a decent number of spp

How should we share the completed FLMs now that mega upload is dead?
slime

Postby zeealpal » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:49 pm

You can zip it into smaller blocks, Ill be using Skydrive with 100MB blocks max
i7 4790k @ 4.8GHz | 2 * GTX 970's | 16GB RAM
zeealpal

Postby A-man » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:06 pm

I use mediafire (mediafire.com). You don't need an account unless you want to have access to your shared files at other places without the download link. I have uploaded files over 150mb with no account, so I think that is a good way to share the files.
i7 3770k 3.5 GHz | 16 GB RAM | Radeon 7970 3GB
A-man

Postby sprocket » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:34 pm

neo2068 wrote:
A-man wrote:Yes I am still rendering mine @ 2560x2560. I'm interested to know if anyone can find a good reason for the speed and convergence differences.

I think the reason is the bad geometry with overlapping objects, i.e. walls and dust object. I cleaned up the geometry and I added a portal for the window. The render settings should be the same.

theres a portal in the original scene, but its the size of the box, not the size of the window. Im guessing that could slow it down?

edit: just tested that with 2 renders of a empty cornell box side by side.... makes a 2% speed increase.
sprocket

Postby neo2068 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:38 am

sprocket wrote:
neo2068 wrote:

theres a portal in the original scene, but its the size of the box, not the size of the window. Im guessing that could slow it down?

edit: just tested that with 2 renders of a empty cornell box side by side.... makes a 2% speed increase.

The original portal have a hole where the window is. That is totally wrong. Read this for a proper usage of portals:
http://www.luxrender.net/wiki/Portals
The portal only has to be where the window is and the normal has to point inwards.

EDIT: The IOR of the water in my scene was slightly wrong. I used the preset for water at 20°C and the original uses water at 0°C.
i7 5820K, 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA Geforce GTX 780 + GTX 560, Windows 10 64bit, Blender 2.77a
neo2068
Developer

Postby sprocket » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:12 am

neo2068 wrote:The original portal have a hole where the window is. That is totally wrong.

I totally missed seeing the hole in the portal! thats what you get for trying to use blender without a mouse!
sprocket

Postby A-man » Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:26 am

Ugh. I thought portals worked in the exact opposite way that they are supposed to :( I guess it's been rendering from the stray rays that just miss the portal :( Removing the portal from the lxo file might prove to have a significant speed increase! I feel like an idiot now :p
i7 3770k 3.5 GHz | 16 GB RAM | Radeon 7970 3GB
A-man

Postby Meelis » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:09 am

A-man wrote:Ugh. I thought portals worked in the exact opposite way that they are supposed to :( I guess it's been rendering from the stray rays that just miss the portal :( Removing the portal from the lxo file might prove to have a significant speed increase! I feel like an idiot now :p

Maybe your portal normal was ok in some older blender build.
I have experienced some times with newer blender builds (when blend is made with older blender) that i have to again fix my meshes and revert normals.
With one of the scene i have done it allready 3 times, every time atlest 1 hour (i have a lot of meshes :twisted: )
Meelis

PreviousNext

Return to Finished Work