Alright! It's crunch time again. I just set the final (400) image(s) rendering at 1920x1080. Due to how much time I actually have left to render this, I've cut back the samples per pixel of each sub-frame to 8. The final should be a nice 3.2 kS/p. Ah well. Also, there was the weirdest bug in the fluid simulator that wouldn't allow me to simulate a fluid with a res over 250 on my laptop (with 12GB of RAM), where the very same build allowed 390 (and probably more) on my old desktop (with 4GB of RAM)... Anyway, after about 10 hours of precalculation at 390, the sim threw a bad_alloc just before calculating the first frame and died. For the final I went with the 250 my laptop could spit out and it looks just fine.
Hopefully I'll post a nice render-in-progress tomorrow!
Oh, and I've switched out my cherry petals for magnolia petals. I figured the cherry petals would be too small to show up very well, and magnolia petals have more or less the same colors. Wish me luck!