LuxRender official feature request thread

General Project and community related discussion.

Moderators: Dade, coordinators

attention: please vote only one time, vote are registered as image

physical sky clouds texturing TOT. VOTES = 42 viewtopic.php?f=13&t=4373#p45465
22%
exif data TOT. VOTES = 10 viewtopic.php?f=13&t=4373&start=10#p45498
10%
camera color correction TOT. VOTES = 15 viewtopic.php?f=13&t=4373&start=10#p45544
7%
Face rendering behavior TOT. VOTES = 8 viewtopic.php?f=13&t=4373&start=10#p45554
3%
Media precedence TOT. VOTES = 13 viewtopic.php?f=13&t=4373&p=45779#p45777
9%
Multiple UVs per mesh TOT. VOTES = 27 viewtopic.php?f=13&t=4373&p=45779#p45777
17%
full motion blur TOT. VOTES = 28 viewtopic.php?f=13&t=4373&start=30#p45895
16%
Ptex Per-Face Texture Map. TOT. VOTES = 21 viewtopic.php?f=13&t=4373&start=30#p45981
16%

Total votes : 89

LuxRender official feature request thread

Postby patro » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:13 am

ATTENTION: for some implemented feature.... I added in the poll the texts " FEATURE AVAILABLE "
if the feature is still missing in your application exporter... you must contact your exporter coder... and put the feature to his attention.

AVAILABLE FEATURE ARE NOW LISTED HERE

environment mapping support - feature available -
TOT. VOTES = 36 viewtopic.php?f=13&t=4373#p45160
extended Env-Maps support - feature available -
TOT. VOTES = 3 viewtopic.php?f=13&t=4373&start=60#p46706
both are supported
the "extended Env-Maps support will called "iblinfinitesample". the plugin is written by Aldo Zang, it support a single texture that blend with precedence in it 3 image for lighting. it will be able asap

bercon maps support
TOT. VOTES = 13 viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3984
will be supported asap... they are like the blender procedurals, the only difference is that they can be ported to most 3d commercial applications, since the source code is available and licensed under Apache 2.0

image output function - feature available - TOT. VOTES = 13 viewtopic.php?f=13&t=4373&start=10#p45550
adv. physical sky param. - feature available - TOT. VOTES = 32 viewtopic.php?f=13&t=4373#p45465
SSS support TOT. VOTES = 78 viewtopic.php?f=13&t=4373&p=45779#p45777
Multilayer texture, blend mode TOT. VOTES = 23 viewtopic.php?f=13&t=4373&start=40#p46420

file.jpg

well... since there is no solution for poll editing threads.... I think that the "poll must go on" :lol:
but how to add new feature for voting... with out to lose existing votes?

the solution is simple not genial... but it could be work!

every time a new "feature request" will added to the thread... I'll add a new line to the poll for the new request!
I also add a new image with the screen shoot of the precedent recorded votes with date!
hope that this work! and let participate all!
please vote only one time... your vote are just registered as image!

hi all,

have LuxRender forum a feature request sub forum or thread? where we user could make a request for some missing feature!
thank you

Patro

edit:
after the fast answer I get from Dougal I changed the title of the thread from "feature request thread?" in to LuxRender official feature request thread.

IMPORTANT:
any one can make here a request for missing feature in Luxrender! so let us all make grow more LuxRender ;)

I add the poll function to the thread so that it's easy for any one to find the right post, to vote the request!

the poll is intend only to measure the interest of the community for some or for all the requested feature!

I will also add any new request to the poll!
Last edited by patro on Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:00 am, edited 18 times in total.
patro

Re: feature request?

Postby dougal2 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:25 am

You can do it right here :)
dougal2
Developer

Re: feature request thread

Postby jeanphi » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:33 am

Hi,

You can also create a task in Mantis, it will have less chances of being forgotten :)

Jeanphi
jeanphi
Developer

Re: LuxRender official feature request thread

Postby patro » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:50 am

Hi Dougal & Jeanphi

:) you are right about the task in mantis... but since most of the user like me, have not the appropriate knowledges to distinguish what is possible or not to do/add with/to Luxrender, due the unbiased nature and eventually code limitation of it!...

... my though is to discuss any request here... and then... to add the request to the new created task in mantis!
so that you developers have not to bother with non sense stuff!

Patro

edit:

PS: what do you think about?
patro

Postby jeanphi » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:37 am

Hi,

No problem, we can comment on tasks in Mantis, but you can do both (forum+mantis) and link to the forum in the task. The various development forums are also meant to throw in ideas.

Jeanphi
jeanphi
Developer

Postby patro » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:32 am

Well... let's start!

my first request for a missing feature is... just like Jeanphi know... is the possibility to play with the image used as environment background!

at time in LuxRender is not possible to rotate, flip, tile the used image around any axis! so... let my explain why this feature is so important!

when we work with a normal fixed shoot... my request have not much sense... but when we load an 360°panorama image... the limitation of Luxrender are visible.

for example I use sibl illumination... the nice thing is that you need an 360° background image.. and a sun(for exterior) or light sources(for interior)!
the plugin import the sibl data for the image.. and create a sphere and the needed lights and/or environment background in the scene! according to the used rendering engine! and according to the enabled task and mapping in the sibl-gui!

as 3ds max user I have not only the bridging script that support sibl-gui... but more than one template to work with! but for Luxrender I must edit in hdrshop the background image! to match what I see in 3ds max view-port with the real environment image portion rendered from Lux!
I do all this task manually and it's a great job, and the result is not precise... since I have to synchronize the sun in the scene and the unpredictable sun position in the rendered image! obviously they are correlated... they must work together to recreate the correct lighting and shadows! and also... I can't play with max cam... I must use that edited image. If I want to change camera view... I must edit again the backgound image... so to make it match with all the rest.

I saw in the past an opened task for sibl support in mantis... ;) this request is also related to that task!
just go to: http://www.luxrender.net/mantis/view.php?id=780

if anyone is interested in more info about sibl illumination and free software:
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=3521&p=37636&hilit=sibl#p37636
I read in the hdrlab forum... that they want to create a script and template file to bridge "sibl-gui" with blender! If any one with the skill want to help... is welcome! all the suggested software are free and cool! one of than is the well known "picturenaut"... exr/hdr editor/converter.
patro

Postby jeanphi » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:28 am

Hi,

This is indeed a good feature.

Jeanphi
jeanphi
Developer

Postby patro » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:57 am

jeanphi wrote:Hi,

This is indeed a good feature.

Jeanphi

;)
I linked the tasks #779 and #780 to this thread...

I add a note to this task in mantis: http://www.luxrender.net/mantis/view.ph ... 0#bugnotes
I'm just looking for it!... very useful for post production..
patro

Postby patro » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:39 am

hey again,

It would be nice in future to have a more customizable sky.... for example not only with turbidity, but also with feature that change the sky color like:
ozone,
water vapor,
Anisotropy of the aerosol particles,
loading sky file, etc..
if possible all or just the ozone!

I have also another request for the sky... this is a little bit strange... but very nice for architectural rendering!

Is there a way to have a physically sky textured with Clouds!
the 2 image below, show the work of a guy that edited the physical sky textures of vray, by mixing it trough gradient ramp, noise etc, so to get finally a natural clouds effect! like in the attached image...
vr 2-2.jpg

the parameter of the clouds in max can be also animated! you can change the dimension the intensity, the color, the type! this make the idea just more interesting! a full daylight animation that go from a sunny day to a windy and stormy one :)

but hey it's just an idea... I also know that you all are very busy!
patro

Postby binarycortex » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:53 am

I wonder if its possible to mix sunsky with a sky sphere. By sky sphere I mean a literal sphere scaled up with normals pointing inward and an image/texture applied. Jeanphi, would that work with the lux sun/sky implementation? I am guessing you would have to turn off the sky part as well. Or maybe not. Perhaps just adding a "cloud" sphere would work. This would be, again, a scaled up sphere with cloud texture of some kind applied to it. For materials, i would guess a mix of null and mattetranslucent. Any thoughts?
Competition Coordinator.
Current Competition: Math is Beautiful / Abstract Wallpaper

Member of the first official jeanphi-fan club
binarycortex
Developer

Next

Return to General Discussion