Luxcore. What does it mean for the non-programmer?

General Project and community related discussion.

Moderators: Dade, coordinators

Re: Luxcore. What does it mean for the non-programmer?

Postby tomb » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:56 am

olear wrote:v2 looks good from a 3rd-party perspective. My current workflow is Poser=>pose2lux(custom)=>LuxRender, works good at the moment. Was planning to rewrite pose2lux from scratch, but looks like I'm going to wait for v2 before doing that, and rather create a more integrated solution (as I guess Reality etc also will).

Awesome, but why wait? :) Why not help us test the new API stuff - it's not finished, but I think its fairly stable, although there probably will be new features added over time. There are both working c++ and python demos in the luxrays repo.
tomb
Developer

Postby danstermeister » Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:43 pm

I think the suggestion was made in the past about having a sort of ombudsman to the community- a go-between for the devs and the user community. This would make large/major announcements have a consistent and fun tone, and comments from the community would have a catch-all responder. In fact, a good ombudsman would man the luxrender blog (that does not quite exist yet, though the G+ community is the closest to it atm) that would have timely pieces of promotion related to the project and subparts of it.

And very importantly, it would let the devs... dev. Since it's all public no one would ever be kept from commenting or answering, but it would put a 'soft dev' in charge of LuxRender PR. This is no way would change what anyone does here now, except maybe fret a bit :)

And I would gladly volunteer for this role, as I've been eager for a way to give back, and I talk a lot hehehehe :) . I would, as I would expect anyone in that position, to regularly circle back with the devs on important and minor changes alike, I'd put together a blog schedule for topics (and accept suggestions), and where possible, I'd guide the 'average user' to their destination. Involvement with the larger software community would be big on the list as well, developing/enhancing contacts/relationships with other projects and commercial offerings in which LuxRender is a participant.

Website cleanup, documentation, general project presentation, etc. are areas that could use some polish. LuxRender is amazing for two reasons: it's technical capabilities, and it's ability to stand on it's own without a massive amount of documentation or promotion. Think of what could happen if the latter were addressed as well as you have been addressing the former.

And thank-you, devs. You have provided an amazing piece of software, kudos to you!
danstermeister
Developer

Postby olear » Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:53 pm

tomb wrote:
olear wrote:v2 looks good from a 3rd-party perspective. My current workflow is Poser=>pose2lux(custom)=>LuxRender, works good at the moment. Was planning to rewrite pose2lux from scratch, but looks like I'm going to wait for v2 before doing that, and rather create a more integrated solution (as I guess Reality etc also will).

Awesome, but why wait? :) Why not help us test the new API stuff - it's not finished, but I think its fairly stable, although there probably will be new features added over time. There are both working c++ and python demos in the luxrays repo.

Will test v2 soon :) I don't have time to "maintain" v1 for work and experiment with v2 at the same time. But v1 in our current workflow seems to be stable and I doubt needs that much tweaking/maintaining before going v2.

I'm also interested in integrating Lux with more software we use, like 3DS/Maya/Nuke etc.
olear

Postby spectral fusion » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:14 pm

Is Luxcore the current focus, or do we get to see any improvements to the new rendering models ?
spectral fusion

Postby tomb » Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:41 am

spectral fusion wrote:Is Luxcore the current focus, or do we get to see any improvements to the new rendering models ?

LuxCore is indeed the main focus these days. That doesn't mean that there will be no improvements to the present integrators at all - for example, we do get the occasional patches from "outside" developers too. That said, I believe major changes to them by core devs is unlikely until LuxCore is ready.
tomb
Developer

Postby rodtronics » Sun Aug 09, 2015 2:36 am

From my perspective as a hobbyist renderer, will luxcore be 99% of what luxrender GUI is to me?

I use a lot of scattering, and sometimes dispersion (meaning I have to use CPU BiDir :( )

Also I cannot work out how to turn it on. The menu in the renderer in Blender option just isn't there. Welp
rodtronics

Postby B.Y.O.B. » Sun Aug 09, 2015 2:49 am

rodtronics wrote:From my perspective as a hobbyist renderer, will luxcore be 99% of what luxrender GUI is to me?

Once we have written a LuxCore GUI, probably yes. Here's a proposal, if you have some ideas that could improve it, feel free to post there.
rodtronics wrote:I use a lot of scattering, and sometimes dispersion

Scattering is supported, but currently dispersion is not.
rodtronics wrote:Also I cannot work out how to turn it on. The menu in the renderer in Blender option just isn't there. Welp

Best use the latest daily build: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=12147
This is the wiki page about the LuxCore mode: http://www.luxrender.net/wiki/LuxBlend25_LuxCore

But you can also use LuxCore from the Classic API mode, just set the renderengine to e.g. "LuxCore Bidir". Then it will render in the LuxRender GUI.
B.Y.O.B.
Developer

Postby rodtronics » Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:30 am

I started on 3DS Max but wanted to stop pirating so I got into Blender with Lux and guess what.. Blender is the best... !!!
rodtronics

Previous

Return to General Discussion