LuxRender v1.0RC1 release

News & Announcements regarding releases, features, exporters and project coordination.

Moderators: Dade, coordinators

Re: LuxRender v1.0RC1 release

Postby Omniflux » Fri May 18, 2012 11:54 am

CoolColJ wrote:Are you guys going to add a low priority mode to Luxrender?

Issue 1202. Will probably be looking at this again after 1.0 is finalized.
Omniflux
Developer

Postby Piita » Sat May 19, 2012 6:13 am

right now I have a shortcut for launching Luxrender with this as the target

T:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /c start "LuxRender" /belownormal G:\Renderers\LuxRender\luxrender.exe

But if I render from Blender or C4D, I can't do this.... only way is to bring up the task manager and change the Luxrender process priority manually everytime I render which gets annoying fast!

I use Bill2's process manager for that. It automatically gives Luxrender a low priority when it has run on high cpu usage long enough. Excellent software.
But I do miss this option in Luxrender. I'm glad to see it's coming :)
Piita

Postby CoolColJ » Sat May 19, 2012 11:13 pm

Piita wrote:

right now I have a shortcut for launching Luxrender with this as the target

T:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /c start "LuxRender" /belownormal G:\Renderers\LuxRender\luxrender.exe

But if I render from Blender or C4D, I can't do this.... only way is to bring up the task manager and change the Luxrender process priority manually everytime I render which gets annoying fast!

I use Bill2's process manager for that. It automatically gives Luxrender a low priority when it has run on high cpu usage long enough. Excellent software.
But I do miss this option in Luxrender. I'm glad to see it's coming :)

Thanks, handy program!
CoolColJ

Postby guibou » Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:01 pm

Omniflux wrote:

Issue 1202. Will probably be looking at this again after 1.0 is finalized.

This is somewhat discussed here

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8566&start=10
guibou
Developer

Postby ThorntonJ » Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:57 am

i havent read this whole thing, but i read the part about cuda........... EXCUSE ME? wth people. Lux devs, i love you guys, but a complete lack of support for cuda is going to be the death of lux. its not just faster but more powerful. Yeah, its exclusive nvidea, and it is part of the NVidea drivers so its going to stay exclusive nvidea. NVidea designed cards specifically to work with cuda. not just any nvidea card will benefit from cuda like a 780 will. but you are saying that because you guys have personal problems with it, like cuda in open source not making sense (though blender does it), that you would shut out more than 60% of the users out there, and would risk losing the last 40 in the next year or 2 anyways because its just not fast enough regardless of how you achieve the speed. If you cannot do cuda i would like more focus brought to this so called proof of concept, SLG. I dont have to be a developer to know that this attitude towards quite clearly better hardware/software/drivers is a good way for AN EXTREEMLY GOOD RENDER ENGINE to just fade into the abyss.

I really do love luxrender, and as someone who is looking to soon go tri gtx780s myself... me... being someone who not a year ago would have spit on an NVidea card. cuz like it or not they bench mark higher... I have to super clock my 6970 to get even remotely the same results as a single 680, and if the math isnt your focus, how it benchmarks, than you need to make it your focus. you have an engine that visually matches vray, now you just need the speed to REALLY compete.

I dont want to come across as ungrateful that there is such a great too offered for free, but it wont mean anything if lux is gone.
ThorntonJ

Postby jeanphi » Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:11 am

Hi,

There are things called standards, and CUDA is not one of them, however OpenCL is and is supported by all GPU manufacturers, except nVidia that for dubious reasons provides extremely poor support right now while it used to be somewhat acceptable or even better than others.
You'd better go bash nVidia so that they restore proper OpenCL support within their drivers.

Jeanphi
jeanphi
Developer

Postby J the Ninja » Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:29 am

-If you want CUDA in Lux, implement it or pay someone to do it. No one's stopping you. If not, you get whatever people feel like implementing, and your personal opinions aren't particularly relevant.

-I'm not convinced GPU rendering is ever going to replace CPU rendering like so many people think. It's a never-ending mess of features not working, memory issues, texture count limits, drivers not working... If your shot can wedge into those restrictions, it's faster. But if you want something that doesn't fit in that...

-Within the context of both being raytracers, Lux has very little in common with Vray. It has a lot more in common with Maxwell. (speaking of which, you should call them up and warn them on how important CUDA support is for a renderer. They have their actual livelihoods on the line rather than a hobby project like we do) And considering we aren't selling anything (not even t-shirts to fund development, much less product licenses), I'm not sure "competing" is the right word.

tl:dr; gpu rendering is not a holy grail and we're not selling anything anyway. If you want CUDA, find a way to get it done.
-Jason Stuff
J the Ninja
Developer

Postby ThorntonJ » Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:32 am

jeanphi wrote:Hi,

There are things called standards, and CUDA is not one of them, however OpenCL is and is supported by all GPU manufacturers, except nVidia that for dubious reasons provides extremely poor support right now while it used to be somewhat acceptable or even better than others.
You'd better go bash nVidia so that they restore proper OpenCL support within their drivers.

Jeanphi

I stand by my point. OpenCL is fast, not as fast as NVideas CUDA. more people have nvidea than ATI, and those who do have ati usually have older cards. i dont care what i SHOULD do about nvidea, fact is cuda is faster. im not saying you should drop OCL, but you need to get on the ball with cuda guys. really. ati isnt powerful enough. half the time hybrid doesnt work anyways. slg is good but doesnt have the material support nesecary for what most people want to do, and thre is so little attention given to it at that. When i first started using lux back in 2.49b, i used it cuz it was the one that stood out. it looked more real than anything else, but now people are catching up, and the primary concern needs to be speed or luxrender is just another render engine. You would actually reduce your audience because you think what they are doing is stupid. thats like saying im not gonna develope a phone app for both android AND iphone cuz i hate apple... like it or not you get more attention, and yeah max has its own exclusive way of doing things, but it pays off cuz despite being infiror to android thats not how it is looked at by most people. if you dont want to listen to me or anyone else complaining its too slow, fine. im not saying im gonna stop using it cuz its good, but i AM gonna start lookin for an out ASAP. Im not gonna use the slowest engine on the face of the planed on good faith that the tecnolagy they support will one day spring from the ashes and take over a multi million dollar project created by the company that still finds a way to take what amd does and do it just a little better than anyone else +amd combined.

i hope someone here comes to their senses and saves lux before it dies a gruesome death.

atleast work on thes GPU rendering thing inside lux. damnit i want my normal lux interface, SLGS interface BLOWS, but it is so much faster than lux. still slow, but faster than lux.
ThorntonJ

Postby ThorntonJ » Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:38 am

ill back off on this one, but like it or not, your puting all your eggs in one basket with this cpu stuff, KNOWING that your are being chased down by something a lot bigger than you. at bare minimum id like to see more work put into slg, it should not take me 9 days to render my lamborghini to a "blury" state and still need to do 4 hour of post pro to make it look good. it should take 9, maybe 10 hours max. and i shouldnt have to OC a computer as powerful as mine to the breaking point to get these results i want. yeah graphics cards have issues. so bad of issues that they can screw up entire machines, but its not a reason to invest more in gpu rendering.
ThorntonJ

Postby A-man » Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:08 am

@ThortonJ

I think you should cut your act. CUDA is incredibly powerful. That is a fact. However, it is a closed standard, and Lux is an open standard. Luxrender is not about speed, it is about accuracy. That's not to say speed isn't important, but they don't take shortcuts. Luxrender is also very complicated to use, if it is as slow as you are saying, you are doing something VERY wrong. Perhaps post a scene with settings so people could help out. You are going to make a lot of people angry by flaming the devs, and those people likely won't be as nice as me. Please just stop. CUDA fanboys have no place in this community.
i7 3770k 3.5 GHz | 16 GB RAM | Radeon 7970 3GB
A-man

PreviousNext

Return to News & Announcements