A Project re-boot

News & Announcements regarding releases, features, exporters and project coordination.

Moderators: Dade, coordinators

Re: A Project re-boot

Postby Dade » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:25 am

I have sent the invite with attached links and information to anyone asked. If I forgot someone, let me know.
Dade
Developer

Postby ameuret » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:15 am

What an awesome news !!

You can count me in as tester / builder for Windows 10 CU, MacOS and Linux.

Thanks to everyone making Lux live again !
ameuret

Postby unrealblue » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:46 pm

Cool... It lives! I was wondering what happened. I recently dusted off Blender and Poser (and Reality for Poser) and I still prefer Luxrender. Just so easy to get the result I want.

i have some programming knowledge, although some of it is dated (a variety of languages). Mostly I just write utility convenience code for whatever I happen to be playing with at the time.

I have a lot of time to play with whatever is being developed (retired). Wouldn't mind learning new stuff :)

MacOS on a MBP Retina, 16GB. Also Ubuntu (a well spec'd headless plex server; I run it as a luxrender slave).
unrealblue

Postby B.Y.O.B. » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:13 am

B.Y.O.B.
Developer

Postby burnin » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:58 pm

So i took BlendLuxCore 2alpha1 for a ride & for me It's missing a whole lot (ie. render engines, IOR on Glossy node, mat preview, OCL device advanced settings, film/lens FX & controls, tone mapping, pixel filter options...) Bit disappointed for now. :( I'm aware of it's early stage/phase, but if this is insinuating that LuxCore is to be just stripped LuXrender, i must reconsider my priorities and plans, promises... :oops: ... hopefully not ;)

1. So, is this gonna be it?
2. Are there any pointers on what to 'test & report' (missing features also)?
3. Been a long time since i read any development thread... - Is there a list of what's to be abandoned?
4. Finally, will there be the last official Luxrender 1.7 (?) 'Classic' release (to go with 2.79a & then into history books)?

Thanks for everything

edit:

premature... -ee.. -e
Last edited by burnin on Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
burnin

Postby Asticles » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:20 pm

Hi all,

Are there any windows builds to test?

I expect that with the new reboot the builds policy gets a revision. It is very discouraging to fiddle inside the forums to get the latest version just to find that you have to compile it. This does not help to attract new users and gives some impression of stagnation.

Best regards!
Salvador Ureña
Ephemereal architecture rendering.
http://urenasalvador.wix.com/portfolio

Sorry for my english. :P
Asticles

Postby irieger » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:42 am

Hey,

I'd also like to take a look at the reboot and try to be helpful. Mostly in testing with Blender (Machines: Intel i7-5690X + 2x GeForce 1080 Ti / Intel i7-950 + Radeon RX 580. Preferred OS: Ubuntu Linux, dual boot with Windows).
One of the main points of focus when testing is color management and reproduction.
Regards,
Ingmar
irieger

Postby B.Y.O.B. » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:14 am

burnin wrote:I'm aware of it's early stage/phase

Apparently you're not. The work on the new addon started about 52 days ago.
In these days I should have studied more, I should have done a lot of other things, but instead I worked on the addon.
Are you aware that when you build a house, you have to complete the walls, roof etc. FIRST before you put in any furniture, picture frames and all that jazz? This case is similar.
The features you ask for will be implemented eventually, when all the more important crap works. Look on github for what is being worked on at the moment.
Good job, you managed to make me mad early in the morning.

burnin wrote:1. So, is this gonna be it?

Yes, the addon is finished, nothing to see here.
burnin wrote:2. Are there any pointers on what to 'test & report' (missing features also)?

Bugs, crashes, stuff behaving weird (e.g. "if I delete that sphere during viewport render, the cube over there vanishes"), viewport not updating when doing some action.
Missing features - you can make a list if you want, but I am aware of most of them already.
burnin wrote: Is there a list of what's to be abandoned?

Not yet. Hopefully not much.
Attachments
1513026582852.jpg
B.Y.O.B.
Developer

Postby Dade » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:03 am

burnin wrote:2. Are there any pointers on what to 'test & report' (missing features also)?

As you were specifically asked in the PM with the information on how access the new software, you should post on the new forums.
Dade
Developer

Postby burnin » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:42 am

Many Thank yous & apology for disturbance...
burnin

PreviousNext

Return to News & Announcements