LuxRender v1.4RC3 release

News & Announcements regarding releases, features, exporters and project coordination.

Moderators: Dade, coordinators

Re: LuxRender v1.4RC3 release

Postby acasta69 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:55 am

Hey, thanks for this great support, I got really a lot of useful info! :D

Are you rendering in Lux GUI (external) in API 1.x mode?

Yes.

I understand all this is work in progress, but then what should be expected at the moment from API 2.0?
OK, probably developers have seen this question many times and the fact that I'm not at all expert in Lux does not help... :oops:
What I mean is: being Lux a physically based renderer, and taking it from granted that API 1.0 produces "correct" images, then I would think that images from API 2.0 are not so correct, and this would make me prefer API 1.0 if I had to do a "production" render.
Yet many people seem to be very glad to use 2.0, and with wonderful results!
So I'm kind of confused...
Windows 10 64 bits, i7-4770 3.4 GHz, RAM 16 GB, GTX 970 4GB v382.05
acasta69

Postby B.Y.O.B. » Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:30 am

acasta69 wrote: and this would make me prefer API 1.0 if I had to do a "production" render.

Certainly true, API 2.0 is marked as "experimental" for a reason.
acasta69 wrote:being Lux a physically based renderer, and taking it from granted that API 1.0 produces "correct" images, then I would think that images from API 2.0 are not so correct

Well, them being different (in terms of lighter/darker) doesn't mean they are wrong. Just test the difference with a real scene, and you will see it is not all that big.

Still, for some things, there are indeed huge differences, e.g. area lights (their gain/power per size is way off).
And API 2.x can't export stuff like objects duplicated via Alt+D (linked meshes):
Attachments
api_2.jpg
API 2
api_1.jpg
API 1
B.Y.O.B.
Developer

Postby tomb » Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:22 pm

Another way of thinking about this is two different brands of cameras capturing the same scene; they are both exposed to the more or less the same photons (here: "physically based light simulation") and so are both "correct" in that all light interactions are captured but the process of producing an image from this can still result in noticeable different images when viewed on screen (think RAW images). And that's before ordinary post-processing in Lightroom or Photoshop or something similar.

Now, that being said, as BYOB says: Luxrender 1.x and LuxCore (aka Lux 2.0) are quite different codebases and some of the algorithms (simulations) are not identical (yet), so there may still be some slight variations between them, especially in complex lighting scenarios and obviously when comparing totally different classes of simulations (i.e. "path" vs "bidir" for example).
tomb
Developer

Postby acasta69 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:17 pm

Another way of thinking about this is two different brands of cameras capturing the same scene; they are both exposed to the more or less the same photons (here: "physically based light simulation") and so are both "correct" in that all light interactions are captured but the process of producing an image from this can still result in noticeable different images when viewed on screen (think RAW images). And that's before ordinary post-processing in Lightroom or Photoshop or something similar.

Well, I'm not sure I fully get this... The comparison with RAW and a post-processed picture is clear, but I would have thought that part is done exactly by things such as tonemapping and other settings like that...
Anyway, I think now I understand much better why 2.0 is defined "experimental" and why some differences are there.
I'll go on studying and also trying more real scenes.
acasta69

Postby B.Y.O.B. » Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:39 pm

Of course our aim is that there are as few differences as possible :)
B.Y.O.B.
Developer

Postby FranClod » Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:57 am

Can't download the latest release... Keeps sending me to another page saying Unable to Complete Request " or something of that sort. What's up? Do I need a secret code or something? :lol:
Smiles are contagious... Pass it on! :-D
FranClod

Postby B.Y.O.B. » Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:08 am

FranClod wrote:Can't download the latest release... Keeps sending me to another page saying Unable to Complete Request " or something of that sort. What's up? Do I need a secret code or something? :lol:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=11446&start=30#p109927
B.Y.O.B.
Developer

Postby uschott » Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:34 pm

B.Y.O.B. wrote:
FranClod wrote:Can't download the latest release... Keeps sending me to another page saying Unable to Complete Request " or something of that sort. What's up? Do I need a secret code or something? :lol:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=11446&start=30#p109927

Hi,

I'm also interrested in RC3, but your link only refers to the 64-bit version. Since I'm running a Win7 32-bit for compatibility reason (some old hw ;)) I'm looking for the RC3 32-bit. I remember that there was an dl weeks ago, but now there isn't any more. May I ask why it was cancelt?

uschott
uschott

Postby Lord Crc » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:06 am

uschott wrote:I'm looking for the RC3 32-bit. I remember that there was an dl weeks ago, but now there isn't any more. May I ask why it was cancelt?

Various real-life issues have prevented me from packaging and uploading the 32bit versions. I've got them built though, hoping to get to them soon.
May contain traces of nuts.
Lord Crc
Developer

Postby acasta69 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:10 am

Hi again

I set up this simple scene based on Glass2 some time ago with v.1.3.1, then yesterday I resumed it for other purposes and decided to test with 1.4RC3 and Luxcore.
Results seem to me a bit weird so I did three renders with different settings.
The attached pictures show render results obtained with (1) standard Luxrender Bidir (2) API 1.x Luxcore Bidir and (3) API 2.x Bidir. The scene is exactly the same with no modification apart from the engine / API. All three renders have been stopped at the same Sample/pixel count, i.e. 500.

waterglass01_bidir.png
Standard Luxrender Bidir, API1.x

waterglass01_luxcore_bidir_API1x.png
Luxcore Bidir API 1.x

waterglass01_luxcore_bidir_API2x.png
Luxcore Bidir API 2.x

With Luxcore API 2.x loop subdivision on the sphere did not take place: is this not supported by LuxCore yet, or should I just update LuxBlend?
Also the liquid color in the glass on the right side is wrong... What could cause this?

But what seems strangest to me is the completely different look of reflections / refractions and caustics in all three pictures. Any comment to help me understanding better would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Ale

P.S. Rendering speed of Luxcore mode is impressive, between 4x and 5x on this scene! Thanks for this wonderful improvement!
acasta69

PreviousNext

Return to News & Announcements