LuxRender at Adobe Max 2014

News & Announcements regarding releases, features, exporters and project coordination.

Moderators: Dade, coordinators

LuxRender at Adobe Max 2014

Postby jeanphi » Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:44 am

Hi,

A new development by Adobe based on LuxRender has been presented to an enthusiastic public. The tool they're working on allows inclusion of 3D objects on top of a photograph with convincing lighting.

Look at the video they've presented: http://youtu.be/_cPFEANiLTA
The paper describing their work is available here: http://kevinkarsch.com/?portfolio=autom ... ompositing

This looks quite similar to previous work done by Aldo René Zang on LuxRender and available in the ARLuxRender branch of our source repository:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=9166
http://w3.impa.br/~zang/blenderconf/
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=8559
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=8063

We hope that people working on such features will be able to collaborate more closely so that we can include such a feature in a forthcoming version of LuxCore and not just as an adhoc patch for interested people.

Jeanphi
jeanphi
Developer

Re: LuxRender at Adobe Max 2014

Postby Piita » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:04 am

That is very cool! Interesting to see LuxRender being used for something else than just rendering.
Piita

Postby B.Y.O.B. » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:20 am

Piita wrote:That is very cool! Interesting to see LuxRender being used for something else than just rendering.

Well, it's still rendering, isn't it?
It's just with automated compositing etc. in the background that combines 3D objects and photograph (transparent shadows, lighting).
B.Y.O.B.
Developer

Postby kevinkarsch » Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:00 pm

Hi guys,

Glad you noticed the demo! The extensions I wrote on top of Lux are indeed very similar to Aldo Zang's ARLuxRender project. I had to enable support for different kinds of light sources and also integrate the real-time lightgroup updates, but I took a lot of inspiration from his paper(s).

Unfortunately, the Max talks were very short and focused on the functionality, so they didn't mention much about the project itself or the fact that we used Lux. I've added an acknowledgement to the project page though.

This was work I did as an intern at Adobe, so I'm not really affiliated with them any more, but I'm more than happy to make introductions to their research group if you'd like to collaborate in the future.

Anyway, I love what you guys have been doing with LuxRender -- it's made my research much easier and way more beautiful :).
kevinkarsch

Postby jeanphi » Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:27 am

Hi,

Great to see some input from you, Kevin. Aldo's work has not yet been merged into mainline LuxRender mostly because it is quite intrusive, however with the development of our new rendering API there is a great opportunity to design the required extensions without trying to just workaround the previous LuxRender structures. So we would indeed be very interested in knowing exactly what is required to support such features.
Even if your changes don't get distributed in the end, it would be in the spirit of open source and academic research to share the relevant parts of your work.

Jeanphi
jeanphi
Developer

Postby Dade » Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:39 am

jeanphi wrote:however with the development of our new rendering API there is a great opportunity to design the required extensions without trying to just workaround the previous LuxRender structures.

At a first sight, with new LuxCore support for AOVs, it should not require any custom code at all. I mean, a proof of concept can be probably written even in Python. On other side, an integration of Kevin's work combine with the LuxCore real-time rendering could produce some really eye popping demo :idea:
Dade
Developer

Postby jeanphi » Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:04 am

Hi,

That's what I had in mind, but to be sure we need to know all the required elements.

Jeanphi
jeanphi
Developer

Postby kevinkarsch » Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:43 am

it would be in the spirit of open source and academic research to share the relevant parts of your work

I agree completely. Since this work was done while employed at Adobe (and not part of a product), I have to clear the release of the code with their legal group -- this is why my LuxRender fork isn't posted on the project page yet. Apparently it's a slow process, but the people I worked with said my release request should go through without issue.

I actually didn't write that much new code; the biggest addition was a new AR bidirectional integrator. My method was not efficient (it does a 2-pass render, background and foreground, and then composites the the two renders + original image on the fly), but I don't think it wasn't very intrusive. I added a few new shape parameters and some compositing code to FlexImageFilm, but my code still allows for other integrators to work as they normally would. Most of the high level bits are described in our paper: http://kevinkarsch.com/publications/tog14-auto_illum.pdf (Sec 6).

I'm very happy to discuss these changes in detail and also help provide support if anyone has interest in developing them further. I'm not the best developer (as you'll see once the code is released :)), and I'm certain that my code will require some refinement if it's ever integrated into LuxRender in any form.

Also, I can't remember exactly why Aldo's ARLux didn't work for our purposes. I can look again at this though if it helps. I emailed him a few years back when I started investigating this but I never got in touch with him. It would be great to get his feedback on this as well if anyone knows how to contact him.
kevinkarsch

Postby jensverwiebe » Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:05 pm

@Kevin
Made crosscontact via Dalai Felinto, who also worked with Aldo.
Guess he will get in contact with you soon, perhaps here ...

Jens
jensverwiebe
Developer

Return to News & Announcements