LuxRender 1.4RC1 release

News & Announcements regarding releases, features, exporters and project coordination.

Moderators: Dade, coordinators

Re: LuxRender 1.4RC1 release

Postby jeanphi » Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:12 am

Hi,

Thanks for the link. Lux is clearly ahead for both speed and quality. With a proper UI in Blender, Lux has clearly the potential to become the reference.

Jeanphi
jeanphi
Developer

Postby B.Y.O.B. » Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:27 am

jeanphi wrote:Lux is clearly ahead for both speed and quality. With a proper UI in Blender, Lux has clearly the potential to become the reference.

What Lux still lacks a bit in my opinion is flexibility and robustness.
By flexibilty I mean materials, it's amazing what kind of setups cycles shaders can produce.
By robustness I mean robustness against common user mistakes, e.g. putting a float texture (blender clouds) into the diffuse color slot - this creates an error message while it should just silently convert the float texture to a color one (in the background).
B.Y.O.B.
Developer

Postby SATtva » Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:33 am

B.Y.O.B. wrote:By flexibilty I mean materials, it's amazing what kind of setups cycles shaders can produce.

Most of which aren't physically correct. :)
Linux builds packager
聞くのは一時の恥、聞かぬのは一生の恥
SATtva
Developer

Postby tomb » Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:58 am

B.Y.O.B. wrote:
jeanphi wrote:Lux is clearly ahead for both speed and quality. With a proper UI in Blender, Lux has clearly the potential to become the reference.

What Lux still lacks a bit in my opinion is flexibility and robustness.
By flexibilty I mean materials, it's amazing what kind of setups cycles shaders can produce.
By robustness I mean robustness against common user mistakes, e.g. putting a float texture (blender clouds) into the diffuse color slot - this creates an error message while it should just silently convert the float texture to a color one (in the background).

This can be solved by contributing to our paypal account so the trustees can hire someone to write a proper blender exporter with LuxCore support ;-)
tomb
Developer

Postby Dade » Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:40 am

tomb wrote:This can be solved by contributing to our paypal account so the trustees can hire someone to write a proper blender exporter with LuxCore support ;-)

Yes, one of the major problem of the project at the moment is the development of exporters. Just look at the current status:

- LuxBlend developed for v1.3 with an experimental support for v2.x (mostly a demo);
- Reality3D developed for LuxRender v1.2 and SLG2 (!);
- I assume Luxus situation is the same;
- 3DsMax exporter and SketchUp exporter (not very actively) developed for v1.3;
- and nothing else.

We really need human resources to spend on exporters (and yes, I think that paying for the work is the only option left because it is pretty clear that nothing is going to happen otherwise).
Dade
Developer

Postby tomb » Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:52 am

Dade wrote:
tomb wrote:This can be solved by contributing to our paypal account so the trustees can hire someone to write a proper blender exporter with LuxCore support ;-)

Yes, one of the major problem of the project at the moment is the development of exporters. Just look at the current status:

- LuxBlend developed for v1.3 with an experimental support for v2.x (mostly a demo);
- Reality3D developed for LuxRender v1.2 and SLG2 (!);
- I assume Luxus situation is the same;
- 3DsMax exporter and SketchUp exporter (not very actively) developed for v1.3;
- and nothing else.

We really need human resources to spend on exporters (and yes, I think that paying for the work is the only option left because it is pretty clear that nothing is going to happen otherwise).

Indeed. Perhaps some kind of "campaign" to try to raise the funding needed to hire someone for the blender exporter? (primarily, with a secondary priority 3dsmax?) IMO the LuxCore codebase is already kickass featurewise, and just need a bit of polishing/testing which isn't really possible without a decent exporter to go with it.
tomb
Developer

Postby pciccone » Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:57 am

Dade wrote:- Reality3D developed for LuxRender v1.2 and SLG2 (!);

Actually Reality 2 supports LuxRender 1.3 and SLG3. SLG 4 broke compatibility with previous syntax. Reality 3.1 supports LuxRender 1.3 fully, including SLGRender and drops support for SLG. It's my understanding that SLG has been merged in Lux.
pciccone
Developer

Postby Dade » Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:06 am

pciccone wrote:Actually Reality 2 supports LuxRender 1.3 and SLG3. SLG 4 broke compatibility with previous syntax. Reality 3.1 supports LuxRender 1.3 fully, including SLGRender and drops support for SLG.

That is already a big step forward but there still a lot features not accessible without using directly LuxCore.

pciccone wrote:It's my understanding that SLG has been merged in Lux.

Yes, it is.
Dade
Developer

Postby B.Y.O.B. » Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:31 am

Exposing the AOVs (generated by BiasPath) like material ID pass would add a lot of flexibility in the postprocessing area :)
B.Y.O.B.
Developer

Postby pciccone » Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:36 am

I understand the frustration about this but I cannot possibly develop an interface to something that has been just released and is basically in beta. That is where commercial software and OSS diverge. I can't wait to work with Lux Core, I've been waiting for something like this since I started writing Reality, but stability is needed before that can happen.

With "stability" I don't mean just bug fixing but also stability of features. I can't write an exporter with a moving target. Reality runs in two OSS, targeting two completely different apps, Poser and Studio, and it supports 32 and 64 bit versions. One programmer :(

After the next version of Reality is released, working with Lux 1.3, I'll start work on integrating Lux Core.

Cheers.
pciccone
Developer

PreviousNext

Return to News & Announcements