LuxRender v1.3.1 release

News & Announcements regarding releases, features, exporters and project coordination.

Moderators: Dade, coordinators

LuxRender v1.3.1 release

Postby jeanphi » Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:54 pm

Hi all,

The wider exposure of the 1.3 version has uncovered a few bugs that had gone unnoticed, so here is a quick maintenance update to address those. If you have questions, do ask them in our forums, and if you find bugs or want to suggest improvements, do so in our bug tracker so that they don't get forgotten.
We're making good progress on the way towards v2.0, we'll continue to keep you informed on those.

Packages or installers for most platforms are currently being made available from our downloads page. Some exporters have been packaged in the installers depending on the platform, otherwise you'll be able to get them from the download page or the repositories.

Changes since v1.3:
- fixes for latest OSX versions UI updates
- fix bloom filter used in an animation (the configuration of filters in the scene files was a new feature of v1.3)
- fix an issue with camera response
- improvement to the OpenCL version of the QBVH accelerator
- fix carpaint material node in LuxBlend
- fix export of glare maps parameters

Other changes since v1.2.1:
- SLG renderer will now accept moving objects, but they will be rendered without motion blur
- more fixes to subdivision surfaces (hopefully no crash should happen anymore)
- support for thickness variation along hairs
- lens effects can now be configured from the scene file
- better parameter mapping for SLG renderer
- improved volume export for Blender
- improved hair export for Blender
- lens effects export in Blender
- fix IOR selection in Blender
- fix wood texture export in Blender
- OSX specific fixes for SLG
- Improved support for Strands (hair).
- Support for vertex colors and alpha.
- Improved lower bound on glossy roughness (0.000001 vs old limit of 0.006), can be made mirror-like now.
- Better out-of-gamut color clamping.
- New "darken" color clamping mode.
- New "abbe" fresnel texture for specifying IOR using Abbe numbers.
- New false color tonemapper.
- New obstacle-map based glare, much faster and much better looking.
- New "heterogeneous" volume type (for smoke etc), along with 3d textures "cloud", "exponential" and "densitygrid".
- New "autopowerimp" light strategy.
- New Catmull-Rom and Blackman-Harris pixel filters.
- New renderer "slgrenderer", which integrates the SLG rendering engine in LuxRender (not interactive though).
- LuxRender now also has "sobol" sampler, faster alternative to the "lowdiscrepancy" sampler.
- Arealights can now be instanced, this allows for motion blurred lights.
- Support for deferred loading of meshes.
- LuxRender executable location has moved to addon preference panel, see Blender Addon page in user preferences.
- Support for node editor!!! Note this is still under development, which may later render your node materials invalid, so use for testing/playing only at this time please.
- support for bump and normal maps when using the mix material and the SLG renderer
- fix for the MQBVH accelerator in SLG when all primitives have the same bounding box
- improved preview in Blender (faster and more accurate)
- fix normal generation for loop subdivided meshes and make loopsubdivision more robust (it should no longer hang nor crash)
- make the IES parser accept more valid IES files
- properly compute sky power so that it can be used with importance light sampling strategies

---------------------------

Source Code

People who want to download the source code can download the v131 tag files of our HG source code repository here:
Lux: http://src.luxrender.net/lux/file/v131
LuxRays: http://src.luxrender.net/luxrays/file/luxrender_v1.3.1

LuxBlend (2.68-2.69): http://src.luxrender.net/luxblend25/file/v131

---------------------------

Cheers,

Jeanphi
jeanphi
Developer

Re: LuxRender v1.3.1 release

Postby SATtva » Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:32 am

I've updated Linux builds due to a problem in LuxBlend packaging which impeded addon's installation from inside Blender. Credits go to ash1m for letting me know of the issue.
Linux builds packager
聞くのは一時の恥、聞かぬのは一生の恥
SATtva
Developer

Postby ejnaren » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:55 pm

It is amazing to follow development of luxrender and it is very clear that lots is happening.
With so many things happening it is getting hard to distuinguish the road map.
I have seen the amazing integration with blender by dade's new work and a lot of the improvements with the new biased mode I would like to test as well.

This work is referenced as version towards 2.0 but the current version is 1.3.1.
Can nayone explain how they are connected?

All the best
Ejnar
ejnaren

Postby SATtva » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:17 pm

Version numbering doesn't has to be consecutive in the event of major and/or breaking changes.
Linux builds packager
聞くのは一時の恥、聞かぬのは一生の恥
SATtva
Developer

Postby Ray Tracer » Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:13 pm

SATtva wrote:breaking changes.

breaking.png
Ray Tracer

Postby Dade » Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:25 pm

ejnaren wrote:This work is referenced as version towards 2.0 but the current version is 1.3.1.
Can nayone explain how they are connected?

It is quite important for an open source project (and in general) to look forward and to have a long term plan in mind. The version after the 1.3.1 is likely to be the 1.4, not the 2.0 however is important to know where we are going. As SATtva noted, however this doesn't mean that we have to wait for 1.4, 1.5, 1.6, etc. before 2.0. 2.0 is going to happen when it is ready and a lot of stuff will be included in the intermediate versions toward the 2.0.

I think some of the confusion is generated by the role of the LuxRender forums: they are not only a tool for end users but also for the developers (and the development). There are many kind of developers: core developers, exporters developers, platform maintainers, etc. It is not like in a company, we don't see each other every morning: the forums are the main (if not the only) communication medium.

The result is that an end user could find some thread (written to discuss some development topic) obscure and/or confusing. Sincerely, the "openness" (i.e. everyone see everything) of open source projects is something I like. It may be a bit confusing but it has an innate positive nature (i.e. anyone can write a post and add his/her opinion).
Dade
Developer

Postby jeanphi » Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:10 am

Hi,

To complement what Dade rightfully said, he has started a complete overhaul of the rendering core based on the experience gained with SLG. This include a complete architecture change to better accomodate CPU and GPU rendering, be able to dynamically update the scene, ... and a complete API redesign. When this is over it will be called LuxRender 2.0.
Some proof of concept examples have already been shown in the "architecture and design" subforum to validate this new architecture and show you what's coming next. The driving factors are: make the most out of your hardware, ease integration into all rendering pipelines to address usability issues raised with the current version.

Jeanphi
jeanphi
Developer

Postby mikmod » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:12 pm

Hi!
Could you put back the lux-v1.3.1-i686-sse2.tar.bz2 file?
Thanks in advance :)
mikmod

Postby SATtva » Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:54 am

I thought i've uploaded it. :o I'm terribly sorry. Fixed.
Linux builds packager
聞くのは一時の恥、聞かぬのは一生の恥
SATtva
Developer

Postby amdcusa » Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:06 am

I find it very interesting to know the new Disney algorithm could help the problem of noise reduction in LuxRender. But what iteresaria me more is that the new LuxRender vercion come to live as luxvr came before slg live!. Another factor that I'm interested to see on lux is that you can generate some. Deb for linux never use because it is complicated simpre install so I will not use windows générer some evil power. Deb. Eh also been testing some interesting things eg when rendering only rendering with zoom zoom also increases consumption of the gpu vram vary from 5 to 70 mb or more with just give you a zoom while rendering.

Me parece muy interesante saber el nuevo algoritmo de Disney podria ayudar al problema de reduccion de ruido en luxrender. Pero lo que me iteresaria mas es que la nueva vercion de luxrender venga con luxvr live como venia antes slg live!. Otro factor que me interesaria ver en lux es que se pueda generar algun .deb para linux nunca lo use porque simpre es algo complicado instalarlo por eso lo uso en windows no sera malo poder generer algun .deb. Tambien eh venido probando algunas cosas interesantes al momento de renderizar ej solamente ampliar con zoom el render aumenta tambien el consumo de vram de la gpu puede variar en 5 a 70 mb o mas con tan solo darle un zoom mientras se renderiza.
amdcusa

Next

Return to News & Announcements